DVDVR Message Board

Dynamite - 5/24/2023

The Natural

1 minute ago, Casey said:

Did someone really just suggest that AEW try and bring back Bobby Fish for one night? The same guy who drug them through the mud and was begging Triple H on social media to hire him?

lol what

Are you talking about Bobby Fish or CM Punk? 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TheVileOne said:

Are you talking about Bobby Fish or CM Punk? 

One is rumored to have attempted contract tampering and begged for a WWE job on Twitter. The other blasted three “EVPs” for being shitty at their jobs on a YouTube stream watched by like 10k at the time, tops.

But yeah keep on trying man!

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

Or Jorge Masvidal or some UFC or MMA type fighter. Isn't Paige VanZant still under contract?

Yes, when I think enforcer, I think two people who are like combined 1-9 in their last ten fights. Stop pulling random names out of your ass, man. I'll take 60 year Sabu. 

Also, Paige is hurt or just coming off an injury and focusing on returning to BKFC. For what reason, I dunno. Also, she seems very focused on something hardcore but in an adult entertainment sense.

• Like 3

Mark Briscoe giving The Slap TM  to Jarrett was extremely the shit. Normally guest ref angles are pretty bad, but Mark's really nailing it.

Really happy to see Aussie Open signed. Hopefully Mark Davis' injury that was alluded to isn't too severe.

Also good to see they threw together a video package for Willow. Mercedes getting hurt sucks, but even without working for AEW, she bailed out the shitty writing for the women's division with a massive put over for someone who should be an emerging star.

I'm scared for Sabu since he was in bad shape 20 years ago, but it was nice to hear his theme again.

Overall, a solid go-home show. The promos hit their mark, and there were some nice showcase matches for guys who will be in clusterfucks at the ppv.

• Like 3

SABU! Lost my shit for one of my all time favs, super unexpected and out of nowhere but super cool. Love it. 

Enjoyed all the matches. Trios title match was a pretty great five minute sprint. Glad to see Lady Frost get a little bit of time in there.  Strong/Garcia ruled of course. Mark Briscoe killed in that seg, loved him just shoving everyone in sight.

Lots of solid build for the PPV throughout, which has turned into a really good looking stacked show. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Casey said:

One is rumored to have attempted contract tampering and begged for a WWE job on Twitter. The other blasted three “EVPs” for being shitty at their jobs on a YouTube stream watched by like 10k at the time, tops.

But yeah keep on trying man!

Rumor, as in not proven fact. Meanwhile, CM Punk actually showed up backstage to Raw to talk with Triple H one month ago. 

The opener was great and reading that Aussie Open was signed was great news.

House of Black match was really nice, Metalik's theme has either gotten better or this is just the first time it was played this long. I think Rush has also gotten a better theme! Anyway, the no rope break coming into play was wonderful!

Lady Frost v Valkyrie rocked. Good for Frost to get to show this much.

Mark Briscoe is getting tired of this bullshit!

Everyone in the PPV 4-way gets to talk one more time. MJF has ended up making all 3 opponents focus on him instead of trying to take each other out. That feat takes a special kind of asshole to accomplish.

Ok, great for Willow, but let's get something clear. When you say just "Mercedes" in wrestling, that means Mercedes Martinez! I was just glad it wasn't her who was injured yet again (she may already be injured at the moment, anyway). Not that anyone getting injured is cool, but still. If you are talking about artist formerly known as Banks, it is better to say her new last name as well for clarity's sake.

I nodded off during the contract signing but woke up to see Sabu. Yeah, he could be a double agent. I can see that.

Fell asleep again during Garcia vs Strong, because fuck Garcia if I'm not drinking. Well, no, I was just tired from all the cardio and restricted calories, and a bit cranky, too, I guess?  Glad Strong won, though.

Main event was terrific, it was a nice bit of strategy for Young Bucks to mess with BCC's heads, but the tough guy act after running into the crowd didn't exactly make me want to cheer for them, you know? Promising more violence and blood than ever is before makes me question if I actually want to see that?!? Let me rephrase that. I'm not sure I will want to see that SOBER. But pushing the first viewing back for like two weeks because of that seems kinda bad, too! Screw you, Mox for promising shit like that!

Anyway, the PPV should be a blast, but probably once again something you just can't get through on a single watch!

Edited by Shartnado
Typo fixing
  • Like 3

Gimme Garcia vs Roddy a dozen more times. Bonus points to Garcia having Strong in the front face lock and stalling to shake his hips in response to the "You can't dance!" chant. Dude gets it. 

OC is my favorite by a mile but I didn't dig that match. 

HoB vs Random Awesome Dudes was very fun. Was the "no tag needed/lucha style" thing the Dealer's Choice? 

Willow rules. 

Still not sure I'm getting this PPV. 

• Like 7

Just now, christopher.annino said:

Gimme Garcia vs Roddy a dozen more times. Bonus points to Garcia having Strong in the front face lock and stalling to shake his hips in response to the "You can't dance!" chant. Dude gets it. 

OC is my favorite by a mile but I didn't dig that match. 

HoB vs Random Awesome Dudes was very fun. Was the "no tag needed/lucha style" thing the Dealer's Choice? 

Willow rules. 

Still not sure I'm getting this PPV. 

Garcia looked great in defeat, he definitely was able to keep up with Roddy.

Also yeah, that was the dealers choice rule which also ruled. 

• Like 2

It's a little trickier for me to get a head start due to some cord cutting over here, but this was a go home show with a ton of talking segments so I could hit certain all of those at 2x speed. 

• Fletcher has a ton of upside. He's 24! I've been saying that maybe Cole Karter, if he can develop, might be the guy who wrestles HOOK for the next decade, but no, it's Fletcher. I think where he has some difficulties is in the struggle in the moment. He can visibly give up the moment for the next spot instead of constantly be fighting and jockeying for position. I thought this had a few too many kickouts without rationale. Fletcher did a very good job of showing his frustration and getting exasperated or a little lost from a kayfabe point of view, but I would have wanted him to make some more mistakes after big moves and before going for the pin to protect those bombs, even if it did also put over Cassidy's resilience, of course. Cassidy has one move per match that looks off lately and I think it's not some grand decision but it does play into the fatigue. Here it was the apron DDT. I get the sense sometimes that Khan plays moneyball with AEW signings and that feels the case with Aussie Open.
  • The six man, maybe due to the lucha rules, was a bit more like a series of fun moments than a coherent match. But those moments were, in fact, fun. I have loved the Navarro inverted cloverleaf for years but the angle of it means you need to figure out how to put it on in a way that looks sustainable for more than a few seconds. Usually it'd by really driving the guy's neck into the mat but the lack of rope breaks made it work here. Not a ton to say. I hope we get two dozen of these defenses. 
  • I liked Frost vs Valkyrie in spirit (they hit hard), but maybe it had one too many rotations. I think what I would have liked more would have been if Jade's distraction on the ramp let Frost back in it once and then her coming to ringside (which she obviously didn't do) let it happen for a second time. Taya took a lot of this, and she should have, but that may not have made for the most compelling overall match.
  • Fans were still into FTR. We'll see if that lasts. 
  • Cole overpromised on his promo. "I'm going to break both of your legs!" He can make up for it a bit if he comes out with enough hate, but that's going to be hard on a card with Anarchy on it and after some of their exchanges in this feud already. Taz being excited for Sabu was really good and I hope he gets some HOOK interaction, if not this time around then eventually.
  • Presuming they aren't adding HOB vs Acclaimed/Gunn to the PPV, it's good they're keeping a few matches (that and a blow off with Starks/White) in their pocket. You can work some of those stories into the battle royal and not overstuff the PPV. 
  • Like 4

17 minutes ago, Matt D said:

Taz being excited for Sabu was really good and I hope he gets some HOOK interaction, if not this time around then eventually.

I feel the exact opposite - I think the second Taz saw Sabu a switch should have flipped and he should have turned into 1996 Taz that just wanted to kill him. He even could have turned right back into Jovial Taz as soon as Sabu left and apologized, saying he didn’t know what came over him. 

• Like 6
  • Haha 5

I know I've mentioned that Juice Robinson and Dalton Castle have the same voice a few times, but when the Ricky Starks promo was interrupted by a mystery attacker, I legit thought it was Castle for a few seconds.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, AxB said:

I know I've mentioned that Juice Robinson and Dalton Castle have the same voice a few times, but when the Ricky Starks promo was interrupted by a mystery attacker, I legit thought it was Castle for a few seconds.

Dalton Castle as the third member of Bullet Club Gold would be very special pro wrestling.

• Like 8

11 hours ago, Gordlow said:

I went to a party where everyone came dressed as their favourite vegetable. 

Reveal hidden contents

Met a leek

Not too into the whole "Karen" angle.

Dax and Cash seemed to be talking Faster Than Regularly.  They were a couple of Fast Talking Rasslers. 

Anyone else expecting BCC to win AitA to set up B&G?

I think they should give Jack Perry a Christmas Creature gimmick.

Reveal hidden contents

Jingle Boy

If Jack Perry married Lady Frost, he could be Jack Frost and she could be, uh... Lady Boy.

If Wheeler Yuta married Cash Wheeler...

If Taya married my old friend Steve Yellowribbon...

Debuting the new show in Chicago, eh? I'm legit curious what kind of reaction Punk will get. Presumably a huge hometown pop...

But, oh, what glorious schadenfreude if he got booed!

Did NOT foresee Sabu coming out.

There was almost TOO MUCH good wrestling today. Yowza.

Not only laughing at this, I can see the late great DEAN saying "DAMNIT, GORDLOW!" as he sometimes did to these posts. Love and miss you, our friend xxx.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 4

9 hours ago, TheVileOne said:

I get that Sabu apparently lives in Vegas, but his appearance tonight as an enforcer for Roddy and Adam Cole felt random as hell. Sabu was really the best name they could've come up with? 

You see, Adam Cole grew up idolizing Sabu.

10 hours ago, Go2Sleep said:

Mark Briscoe giving The Slap TM  to Jarrett was extremely the shit. Normally guest ref angles are pretty bad, but Mark's really nailing it.

Really happy to see Aussie Open signed. Hopefully Mark Davis' injury that was alluded to isn't too severe.

Also good to see they threw together a video package for Willow. Mercedes getting hurt sucks, but even without working for AEW, she bailed out the shitty writing for the women's division with a massive put over for someone who should be an emerging star.

I'm scared for Sabu since he was in bad shape 20 years ago, but it was nice to hear his theme again.

Overall, a solid go-home show. The promos hit their mark, and there were some nice showcase matches for guys who will be in clusterfucks at the ppv.

I'm wondering if FTR and Mark Briscoe have a setup working.  

Sabu as a manager is an interesting proposition given that he rarely spoke over the years I watched him. Honestly, I'm racking my brain for a Sabu promo without Fonzie and the best I can do is WWECW '06. Maybe it's more of a heater role but instead of being huge, he just clandestinely passes his charge sharp objects. Starts carrying a briefcase full of spikes. It's Sabu in a white suit, someone's gotta bleed right?

Edited by Zakk_Sabbath
Should this be more than a one off, naturally
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, TheVileOne said:

I get that Sabu apparently lives in Vegas, but his appearance tonight as an enforcer for Roddy and Adam Cole felt random as hell. Sabu was really the best name they could've come up with?

Excuse my language but what the absolute fuck?

Sabu randomly showing up and being treated like a huge deal is everything that is great about AEW. If anything the issue isn't that they brought in Sabu to be awesome but that the best thing they can think to do with him is this Adam Cole/Chris Jericho thing. He should be all over Anarchy in the Arena or just in a little insert box doing his pose in the corner of the screen for the whole PPV. I just don't get you at all, man.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 3