DVDVR Message Board

Dynamite - 5/24/2023

The Natural

Matches:

• Lucha Bros vs. Blackpool Combat Club for ROH World Tag Team Championship.
  • Orange Cassidy vs. Kyle Fletcher for AEW International Championship.
  • House of Black vs. AR Fox, Blake Christian and Metalik for the AEW Trios Titles.
  • Taya Valkyrie vs. Lady Frost.

The go home show for Double or Nothing 2023. Hear The Natural's rage meter fill across the pond when fuckin' Pentagon spams his taunt. Hear The Natural's cheer when Cesaro uppercuts the fucker ala Mortal Kombat.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

Man, all four of those announced matches look really nice. If the HOB match gets to be more than a squash, I could see it stealing the show. Really, though, I’d say OC/Fletcher will be the one that stands out. 

• Like 4

Fw2afV5X0AEH1df?format=jpg&name=large

• Lucha Bros are pretty annoying with their whole refusal to follow the conventions (not the rules!) of tag team wrestling, but Claudio obviously matches up well with Fenix and I bet in this one he'll match up well with Penta. That feels like a fresh encounter. Should be good. I think you have to have the Elite cost them the match somehow as we're building to the PPV.
  • I'm sure Frost won't get a ton in on Valkyrie. Taya has to look strong considering she already lost to Jade once and the only difference now is that she gets to use her finisher. I'm glad she's getting the spot though.
  • Starks really needs to hit a big promo here. I do wonder if there'll be any twist to the match. My assumption is that we'd be getting a third Bullet Club Gold guy debuting to provide some excitement, protect Starks, and set up a Forbidden Door scenario.
  • Ew. A Contract signing. Think of Gordi!
  • What else does FTR possibly have to say at this point? We get the angle. It's a good angle. They should have given us Dash vs Satnam or something instead. 
  • (I'm going to skip the pillars talking segment. I'm looking forward to the match as much as anyone can look forward to a 4-way, mainly due to the character beats that they'll play into within the match but ... they really should have just rode with the Sammy/MJF team for a couple of weeks longer)
  • Cassidy vs Fletcher should be good. I feel for Fletcher having to give up the belts (especially if Davis is only out for 6 weeks) but I overall like the guy and think he has a lot of potential.
  • And yeah, HOB vs Those Guys Who Lost To The Embassy should be a lot of fun too, especially when it becomes a mauling. Very curious about the special rule, as always.
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Log said:

Man, all four of those announced matches look really nice. If the HOB match gets to be more than a squash, I could see it stealing the show. Really, though, I’d say OC/Fletcher will be the one that stands out. 

OC/Fletcher is the match I most want to see.

• Like 3

I mean, I want to see every OC match. But I went to NJPW a few weeks ago and was blown away by Aussie Open. I was familiar with them a bit from AEW but man they were such a great act in person. I think Fletcher has a good amount of shtick in him to do well against OC.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Greggulator said:

I mean, I want to see every OC match. But I went to NJPW a few weeks ago and was blown away by Aussie Open. I was familiar with them a bit from AEW but man they were such a great act in person. I think Fletcher has a good amount of shtick in him to do well against OC.

I read yesterday or the day before that Mark Davis is dealing with an injury and they had to vacate the IWGP Jr. Tags, so despite the Intl title BR coming up on PPV, there IS a nice thimbleful of intrigue here; I don't know that this is the place for it, but I think it would be really interesting for a promotion to subvert expectations on one of these go-home shows and, for example, have Fletcher win here and then 'solidify' his status by winning the BR on PPV. It would be rather unceremonious for OC, which is why I don't think it should happen here given how dope his reign has been, but I'd love to see that 2% of doubt pay off somewhere, some time.

• Like 3

I'm legit wondering if we have a title switch going to Fletcher. Could he be Orange's Kryptonite? Would they do it thisclose to the big show?

EDIT: *looks at PPV lineup* Nah. 20 man battle royale is meant for Orange. But Orange and Fletcher having a doubtful ending and it boiling down to them too would be interesting.

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, John from Cincinnati said:

Expect a lot of high-flying, death-defying action tonight, according to Bryan

Dante Martin's bionic leg CONFIRMED

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Greggulator said:

I can't get tagging to work in the merch thread so I'm posting this here, but proclaiming that my friend Gregg should 1.) buy this shirt and 2.) wear it to some serious business situation.

Edited by Matt D
  • Like 6
  • Haha 2

I want Punk to be back so bad.

But I also kind of want them to run a live show at the United Center without him and see what happens.

1 minute ago, Kevin Wilson said:

I'm so annoyed, all the times they did the lights out gimmick in the past for a wrestler appearing and they don't do it for the lights out OG??? What a waste, fuck AEW.

do you want Sabu’s knees to turn to dust? Because doing a lights out gimmick and making him run the ring is how you do that.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

7 minutes ago, Casey said:

I want Punk to be back so bad.

But I also kind of want them to run a live show at the United Center without him and see what happens.

do you want Sabu’s knees to turn to dust? Because doing a lights out gimmick and making him run the ring is how you do that.

I'm supposed to be worried about his knees getting into the ring and not the fact he's diving off something and probably going through a table in four days? Sabu don't care so I don't care.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

I went to a party where everyone came dressed as their favourite vegetable. 

Spoiler

Met a leek

Not too into the whole "Karen" angle.

Dax and Cash seemed to be talking Faster Than Regularly.  They were a couple of Fast Talking Rasslers. 

Anyone else expecting BCC to win AitA to set up B&G?

I think they should give Jack Perry a Christmas Creature gimmick.

Spoiler

Jingle Boy

If Jack Perry married Lady Frost, he could be Jack Frost and she could be, uh... Lady Boy.

If Wheeler Yuta married Cash Wheeler...

If Taya married my old friend Steve Yellowribbon...

Debuting the new show in Chicago, eh? I'm legit curious what kind of reaction Punk will get. Presumably a huge hometown pop...

But, oh, what glorious schadenfreude if he got booed!

Did NOT foresee Sabu coming out.

There was almost TOO MUCH good wrestling today. Yowza.

Edited by Gordlow
  • Like 3
  • Haha 11

I know I'm gonna get called Wrestling Grandpa for not being with it, but holy shit was the OC/Fletcher match fucking awful.  I actually like OC, but the finisher fest and kicking out of everything, in the opener, was inexcusable.  Someone really needs to reign people in.

Rest of the show was fine.

• Like 5