DVDVR Message Board

Rampage - 5/19/2023

JLowe

Since no one else has started one, figured I'd at least get a placeholder going.

(I can't figure out how to embed the graphic)

Matches include:

Blackpool Combat Club vs. Best Friends and Bandido!

Jade Cargill issued an open challenge for the TBS title, who will she squash?

The Acclaimed and Daddy Ass Billy Gunn vs. The Varsity Athletes and Ari Daivari!

We hear from The Hardyz and Brother Zay

And Dustin Rhodes vs. Bishop Kaun! HOSS FIGHT~!

Start time is 6:30 eastern, 5:30 central, not sure about the rest.

Two of the matches are definitely worth watching.

Edited by JLowe
making topic consistent with DVDVR style
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• JLowe changed the title to Rampage - 5/19/2023

Oh how times change back in the 90s Dustin was barly a hoss and Kaun is probably 6 foot even and under 2 bills (but he’s a stack of bricks) where did all the big men go? 

any word on PAC? I wonder if we could get HOB v 💀 triangle at Wembley?

• Like 1

Really fun opener. Mox kicking people looked weird but it was stiff. The dive train was super graceful and then Claudio did one of the nastiest double stomps ever. And then... the PnP cut out? Bizarre. Taya wins the contest for Best Spiked Jacket in Wrestling. Got to see Ethan Page and Tony Nese, JTTS for the first time in forever. Keith Lee showing up looking like he lost a ton of weight too! And of course, fired-up bleeding babyface Dustin is the best thing ever. That has to win some kind of double Segunda Caida point. 

• Like 2

Adam Cole’s music playing as he does a run in from concourse was just dumb.

That said opener was fun Dustin and Kaun are two of my favs but where was Toa?

This Jade stuff sure feels like a treadmill to nowhere. The problem with building here up like this is that there was no one build up to get the rub by beating her

• Like 3

Adam Cole is barred from the building, standing outside, and then his ban is lifted and he runs into the building, but there's no security there to have stopped him entering the building at any time... yeah.

• Haha 2

Oh, I couldn’t remember if the really dumb Adam Cole entry from the concourse was on Dynamite or Rampage. I think the fans would’ve rioted if they didn’t get a chance to sing along to Adam Cole’s music.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, zendragon said:

This Jade stuff sure feels like a treadmill to nowhere.

So much this here.  How long has she been champion now and her run is still 95% three move squashes?  A huge percentage of the women’s roster has lapped her talent-wise to the point where any random few-hundred-per-shot ROH jobber typically has more in-ring cred.  Her run is as boring as it is transparent.  The only saving grace at this rate would be a superior wrestler squashes her for the belt and we get a Rocky 3 angle where she realizes Sterling booked her against tomato cans this whole time and she takes time off to train and comes back better.

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 5
  • Haha 1

Probably said this more than once on here, but Adam Cole is the least athletic looking wrestler ever. Fuck, Darby Allin looks like more of a wrestler just from tattoos alone. Having a beastly Keith Lee come out right after just reinforced it. 

• Like 2

Conor McGregor is a former paper UFC champion at 145 and 155, and he's been huge lately. Likely to lose a lot of mass now he's back in the USADA testing pool though.

2 hours ago, JLowe said:

Oh, I couldn’t remember if the really dumb Adam Cole entry from the concourse was on Dynamite or Rampage. I think the fans would’ve rioted if they didn’t get a chance to sing along to Adam Cole’s music.

Entrance music on a run from the back is dumb but I’ve just grown to accept it , this really made no sense 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Technico Support said:

So much this here.  How long has she been champion now and her run is still 95% three move squashes?  A huge percentage of the women’s roster has lapped her talent-wise to the point where any random few-hundred-per-shot ROH jobber typically has more in-ring cred.  Her run is as boring as it is transparent.  The only saving grace at this rate would be a superior wrestler squashes her for the belt and we get a Rocky 3 angle where she realizes Sterling booked her against tomato cans this whole time and she takes time off to train and comes back better.

I think you made an interesting point in Jade getting lapped. It's crazy that girls like Willow and Sky Blue have come in and built more in ring credibility and are more involved with the actual division than someone like Jade who has been pushed as a focal point for years.

Give Jade vs Taya 10 mins and I still don't think we'll see anything substantial. I've never seen the appeal of Taya's ring work and I don't get "Wera Loca". Why did she hit the girl on the ramp? Wtf

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Technico Support said:

Recently she hasn't had that many quality opponents but looking at her cagematch, she had a little run a while back that included Bunny, Nyla, Tay, and up and coming Anna Jay. I like Jade and think she's got a lot of upside but this whole holding pattern because Kris Stat was supposed to beat her has long run its course. If Statlander was gonna be out for a while, why not go with someone else like Athena or Taya?

• Like 4

12 hours ago, AverageKong said:

Give Jade vs Taya 10 mins and I still don't think we'll see anything substantial. I've never seen the appeal of Taya's ring work and I don't get "Wera Loca". Why did she hit the girl on the ramp? Wtf

Because the girl on the ramp clearly wasn't about to let Taya take her place. Not admirable, but understandable.

By the way, I don't think I've ever mentioned how much I like your username. Awesome.

3 hours ago, Nineteen said:

Recently she hasn't had that many quality opponents but looking at her cagematch, she had a little run a while back that included Bunny, Nyla, Tay, and up and coming Anna Jay. I like Jade and think she's got a lot of upside but this whole holding pattern because Kris Stat was supposed to beat her has long run its course. If Statlander was gonna be out for a while, why not go with someone else like Athena or Taya?

My suspicion is that Taya is in fact taking the belt at Double or Nothing. I wouldn't say it's a lock or anything, though.

• Like 2

I’m watching the show on DVR right now and they cut out the line from Max Caster’s rap where he made a reference to Greg Abbott’s disability. When I eventually add my road report for Rampage, I’ll be talking about that and my mixed feelings.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Nineteen said:

None of the top women can wrestle her because she’s not going to lose at this point. None of the mid-tier women will wrestle her again because she makes her opponents look like shit. Thank goodness for Dark and ROH that Athena was able to get her heat back after their program. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Nope, I feel Jade will get to 100. Maybe they’ll Goldberg her record with house shows/dark matches.

Best Friends can’t seem to catch a break. Their last big notable feud was against Kip Sabian and Miro, but ever since they just put on good matches and lose. Even OC is slowly distancing himself from them. 

• Like 1

There is only one answer to who to beat Jade, and it's Willow Nightingale.

I second the thought the best friends can't catch a break, as much as I understand that the BCC are supposed to be "tough guy asskickers" them losing to a flash pin, or having YUTA eat the pin wouldn't hurt them at all, especially against a team that has credibility to spare in Best Friends/Bandido.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, StuntmanCrowley said:

There is only one answer to who to beat Jade, and it's Willow Nightingale.

I second the thought the best friends can't catch a break, as much as I understand that the BCC are supposed to be "tough guy asskickers" them losing to a flash pin, or having YUTA eat the pin wouldn't hurt them at all, especially against a team that has credibility to spare in Best Friends/Bandido.

I agree about Willow, they have a slow burn storyline where she’s been coming closer and closer to beating Jade.

You can’t have BCC lose before Anarchy in the Arena at the PPV, and Best Amigos are a credible opponent that they have an ongoing feud with dating back to Yuta’s loyalties. After the PPV, Best Amigos can get a win back.

• Like 1

In booking, Willow is potentially doing what I thought Red Velvet was being booked towards, pre-Baddies turn. Each match making improvements towards a win. Velvet with more spunk but Willow’s raw likability makes her an excellent fit for that role. I would be very cool with Willow being the one to dethrone Jade.

I’m ok with waiting on Statlander, depending on how much longer. Idk, as long as you have enough quality opponents to feed Jade to that isn’t the entire roster.

I love Athena’s persona and her being an AEW champ would have been cool, but her current heel persona shouldn’t be the one to beat Jade. She is one of my favorite wrestlers now that she tapped into her petty UUDD personality. So if Jade turns face or face tweener against some heels, then that could work.

Brit doesn’t need it and that victory should be held for someone else. But her and Hayter as belt buddies would be a cool visual. Maybe save that for the eventual women’s tag belts.

Shida is badass. With the right feud it could be cool. 

Or just have Jade never lose. Get a really high number of wins and something something. Derp

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Octopus said:

In booking, Willow is potentially doing what I thought Red Velvet was being booked towards, pre-Baddies turn. Each match making improvements towards a win. Velvet with more spunk but Willow’s raw likability makes her an excellent fit for that role. I would be very cool with Willow being the one to dethrone Jade.

I’m ok with waiting on Statlander, depending on how much longer. Idk, as long as you have enough quality opponents to feed Jade to that isn’t the entire roster.

I love Athena’s persona and her being an AEW champ would have been cool, but her current heel persona shouldn’t be the one to beat Jade. She is one of my favorite wrestlers now that she tapped into her petty UUDD personality. So if Jade turns face or face tweener against some heels, then that could work.

Brit doesn’t need it and that victory should be held for someone else. But her and Hayter as belt buddies would be a cool visual. Maybe save that for the eventual women’s tag belts.

Shida is badass. With the right feud it could be cool. 

Or just have Jade never lose. Get a really high number of wins and something something. Derp

You’ve touched on part of the problem: is Jade a heel, a face, a tweener? I think she thinks of herself as a face who is also a badass. The fans won’t boo her except against Willow. They try and book her like a heel but she won’t work like one or promo like one. They give her Mark Sterling to give her more heel presence but she basically negates that by her actions.

The thing is that an unstoppable face is fucking boring and doesn’t draw. Vince knew that Hogan needed to get beat down by the monster of the quarter. Sting gets betrayed. That’s how it works, the fans want to see the face overcome the odds and beat the “dirty guys”

• Like 2