DVDVR Message Board

SPIDER-MAN: ACROSS THE SPIDER-VERSE - 6/2/2023 - SPOILERS

ACROSS THE SPIDER-VERSE

Starring Shameik Moore, Hailee Steinfeld, Jake Johnson, Issa Rae, and Daniel Kaluuya

Premieres June 2nd.  

----

Words are flowing out like endless rain into a paper cup
They slither wildly as they slip away across the spiderverse....

• Like 5

So looking forward to Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse (2023) especially seeing the return of The Spectacular Spider-Man (2008-2009, 2023). I love that fucking show. Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse (2018) is by far the best Spider-Man film, it's one of the best comic book movies ever made. It's in my top five.

4 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Spider Soundtrack releases on the 2nd. 

hopefully it lives up to the first soundtrack, which was amazing. I’ve got faith in Metro Boomin, though.

• Like 2

First screenings were yesterday, and the sheer number of big name reporters that are saying "I'm shocked to report this is better then the first one" is terrifying to me. I've been trying to keep my expectations low, accepting it's likely not gonna surpass what was my favorite movie going experience of all time. There is no way this movie is actually better. It can't be because that's not possible. 

• Like 2

I hoped to see Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse opening day/weekend but my dog Offy was spayed yesterday as we booked a month in advance to have her done forgetting the date this came out. Offy's health beats out Spider-Man. Love Offy.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 1

Which spider characters are you most and least wanting to see? Most by far is The Spectacular Spider-Man as I love that show, Peter B. Parker Spider-Man, Spider-Gwen, Superior Spider-Man and Ben Reilly Scarlet Spider as he's had disgraceful treatment in the comics since he was brought back from the dead. Be lovely to get Spider-Man from the 1990s cartoon as well. Least by far is Silk. Hate Silk.

• Like 1

Iceman, I would, assume is 100% Disney controlled now. 

Firestar is a weird case, since she was created explicitly for that show. But her comics debut was in the X-Men, and she’s a mutant, so it’s possible the character rights were with Fox then transferred to Disney. But it’s entirely possible the film and animation rights are with Sony since she’s “Spidey affiliated” I guess.

but it probably doesn’t really matter since Sony and Marvel Studios work together now, so if they wanted they could work out a deal.

• Like 1

FYI, the soundtracks are out everywhere, so if you want to be absolutely not spoiled don't look at the track listings. It's not on par with "Qui-Gon's Noble Death" but there are a few things that are pretty obvious.

• Thanks 1

I saw this yesterday. Whatever your expectations are for this movie, raise them. This is one of the best movies I've seen, animated or otherwise. The only flaw I have is that the other half of this movie isn't out now.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Shadow said:

I saw this yesterday. Whatever your expectations are for this movie, raise them. This is one of the best movies I've seen, animated or otherwise. The only flaw I have is that the other half of this movie isn't out now.

OTHER HALF~? 

Fuck.

• Like 1

Kermode compared it favorably to Everything, Everywhere, All At Once and while it wasn't quite *that* good, all I could think was how poorly The Flash was going to compare when it comes out two weeks from now.

Perhaps the 2nd best Spider-Man movie.

• Like 2

Yeah this was excellent.  Though there is a LOT going on.  Almost too much.

This was clearly trying to position itself as the Empire Strikes Back of this trilogy, and it largely succeeded.  Which frankly is an incredible statement to make.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Bustronaut said:

Kermode compared it favorably to Everything, Everywhere, All At Once and while it wasn't quite *that* good, all I could think was how poorly The Flash was going to compare when it comes out two weeks from now.

Perhaps the 2nd best Spider-Man movie.

Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse #1? That's mine.

I’m being kind and taking one for the team and letting the wife take the ten year old tomorrow while I watch the 5 year old so I have no idea when I’d see this. The 21 year old wants nothing to do with Marvel now and just wants to watch depressing anime and people taking about people talking about not liking things on YouTube or twitch. 

Sony made a deal with Netflix so everything after No Way Home, I believe, goes to Netflix after it’s been on Starz (?) first.

Overseas it’s a different story. I think Into the Spider-Verse is on D+ internationally.