DVDVR Message Board

AEW Dynamite - 5/17/2023

Matt D

21 minutes ago, Steventon said:

No Callous explanation means I guess we just need to find out what the next swerve is before the PPV

I'm thinking we're going to see Don aligned with some kind of new group or person to go after Kenny. They keep doing this thing where they sort of imply he's in cahoots with BCC, but that just doesn't seem like where they'll end up to me.

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, Log said:

I'm thinking we're going to see Don aligned with some kind of new group or person to go after Kenny. They keep doing this thing where they sort of imply he's in cahoots with BCC, but that just doesn't seem like where they'll end up to me.

They need some Forbidden Door matches quickly.

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, Log said:

They keep doing this thing where they sort of imply he's in cahoots with BCC, but that just doesn't seem like where they'll end up to me.

It would make a lot more sense if he's not. Callis did stop Mox from using the screwdriver on Kenny, and of course Mox gave Callis that gash on his forehead.

• Like 2

Fun show with a good balance of faces and heels looking strong.

The FCA match was well done. Good mix of comedy and hard-hitting and the finish was a nice change of pace with the faces out-smarting the heels. Great visual with Jericho getting pinned in the dirt too.

Nice layout on the tag title segment. Everyone nailed their roles in that one.

Great Taz line during the PiP of JB/Rush where he said "This match has been 98% all Rush." I'm kinda digging the face turn for Sammy and the uneasy alliance with the other pillars. The build for the 4 way has been much better the last couple of weeks.

Putting off the Don promo was the right call. He said just enough that it doesn't matter what his real motivation was, he made himself known as a carny piece of shit and the story can resume later. The walking wounded Elite was the good kind of cheesy. Kenny in particular has some really good over-the-top cheesy babyface mannerisms. Real old-school "working for the back row" shit, which is a nice complement to his technically perfect 5-star in-ring style. Anarchy in the Arena will be a blast as usual, I'm sure.

• Like 3

That line cracked me up, but during the FCA match when Jericho and Strong get to the mezzanine level, Taz just goes, "Mezzanine Jones" and I about lost it.

• Like 5
  • Haha 6

I would've thought Toni Storm would have stuck with those new pants to continue heeling it up. Shida looked like she was rocking some new gear too. 

If there's gonna be a payoff for anyone from the Outcast angle I hope it's Ruby Soho. She was a workhorse in that tag. She looks like she's moving around a lot better on those knees and bc she's so giving in the ring and makes it look good I think she'd be a good heel champ. Love seeing Hikaru Shida back and thats probably the cleanest Falcon Arrow that I've seen her or anyone hit in a while. Hate to see someone so talented struggle for TV time. 

@HarryArchieGus 😆 Britt Baker got sprayed in the eyes and dumped on her head with a piledriver and 10 secs later she's sitting up LOOKING around like Toni Storm grabbed a handful of tights. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, colonial said:

Link will not embed, but it appears Abadon returned to AEW tonight in a dark match, teaming with Willow and Skye vs. Emi, Nyla and Marina. There's an AEW Dark Elevation dream match for you ...

Can confirm, I was super excited because I didn't think I was going to see Queen Emi, Willow, or Skye. Match was ok, Marina was sloppy AF, Skye was FiP, Abadon did some comedy horror bits with the heels, Willow got the monster hot tag.

Other dark match was Hook (who is super over) vs. Serpentico in what was a surprisingly competitive match.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

12 minutes ago, JLowe said:

Can confirm, I was super excited because I didn't think I was going to see Queen Emi, Willow, or Skye. Match was ok, Marina was sloppy AF, Skye was FiP, Abadon did some comedy horror bits with the heels, Willow got the monster hot tag.

Other dark match was Hook (who is super over) vs. Serpentico in what was a surprisingly competitive match.

Full road report when you have time.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, AverageKong said:

@HarryArchieGus 😆 Britt Baker got sprayed in the eyes and dumped on her head with a piledriver and 10 secs later she's sitting up LOOKING around like Toni Storm grabbed a handful of tights. 

There was some real bizarre camera work in that one throughout - I legit couldn't tell if she was looking around to convey "WTF?" like your tights example, or if it was like more of a Randy Orton asking that guy 'Are we off the air yet?' kinda thing if you've ever seen that on YouTube or anything 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Matt D said:

Full road report when you have time.

I started writing a half-ass one and the board didn't save it, so I'll work one up in Word when I have more energy.

I will say that the board is going to enjoy the Rampage main event, as did I.

Edited by JLowe
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 3

I almost liked the opening segment.  But for me the weak brawl kinda killed it.  At least they masked the Killswitch with a good camera angle cuz I’m betting a different angle wouldn’t have looked at all good.  Wardlow short promo later on was fine.  A ladder match certainty raises the stakes a bit.  But I feel Wardlow is going to HAVE TO steal the show to get something going.  I have doubts but who knows?  Christian is awesome.  I think I’m going to start dressing like him.

Weird that it’s a current Cassidy vs. a former Cassidy in the tag.  I almost didn’t know who Excalibur was calling when the Orange Punch hit.  

Sammy squash?  Not a bad booking idea in this moment.  He isn’t winning the belt.  

I’d like to award a single point to the AEW production team as the video promos are top notch.  They summarized the story of the 4 Way and the dynamic and history of the guys perfectly.  They know they have a harder sell on this match and are doing the work.

The TNA Invasion Angle was the fucking dogs bollocks.  I’ve heard that not only means good but REALLY good.  Correct this ugly American if I’m wrong.  Big Singh continues to low key win my heart as an act.

I kinda also like how multiple yet brief promos are a good way to stretch the taffy on a talent without as much pressure on them to hold up a big “sell the match” monologue.  It’s efficient.  Sammy was the better for it.

Is there any question at this point that Ruby is much better being in AEW than WWE?  She has a really good platform and the promos have delivered.  Match of the Night for me was the Women’s tag.  Storm Zero is rugged.  

The people still love Judas.  Great brawl.  Good to see Roddy get a big win.  Jericho has to be the biggest star he has beaten, right?  

I like Don.  I like the Elite reunion.  I have watched BTE since before the RAW “invasion”.  This was a pay off for me.  

We all know the beefcake painting WILL resurface somewhere throughout this.  Probably being bashed over Dons head.  Glorious.

Edited by Brandon Bones
Must have sat on the space bar or some shit. Fixed.
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, Brandon Bones said:

kinda also like how multiple yet brief promos are a good way to stretch the taffy on a talent without as much pressure on them to hold up a big “sell the match” monologue.  It’s efficient.  Sammy was the better for it.

Agree on most everything else you wrote too, but this is a really great shout by you. I think it worked big, not only for the reason you mentioned, but it made the 4 way feel more like the main, overarching story than it has at any other point in the build (ya know, like a world title angle with guys you're literally calling the four pillars probably should). It's gonna sound like an odd comparison, but in a way, it almost reminded me of a post-Russo but pre-Invasion WWF structure. More of this please!

Edit: just to expand/clarify on that, I mean for example: Vince is in the fake office on the flip phone backstage, we check in with him for 90 sec at a time all night, and then finally you get him live at the end and Austin runs down or whatever 

Edited by Zakk_Sabbath

So Sammy had to leave the building after his match , yet returned after Jericho v Roddy and didn’t change out of his gear?

other than that some really good stiff wrestling. FCA really over delivered , and I think Jungle Boy showed toughness fighting through that monster ROOOOOSH ! Great line by Tony about knowing Spanish from traveling with baseball teams 

DON CALLIS IS YOUR MAIN EVENT! I just don’t buy the bucks in this role sorry not sorry

2 hours ago, zendragon said:

So Sammy had to leave the building after his match , yet returned after Jericho v Roddy and didn’t change out of his gear?

other than that some really good stiff wrestling. FCA really over delivered , and I think Jungle Boy showed toughness fighting through that monster ROOOOOSH ! Great line by Tony about knowing Spanish from traveling with baseball teams 

DON CALLIS IS YOUR MAIN EVENT! I just don’t buy the bucks in this role sorry not sorry

I choose to think he followed the order so he wouldn't jeopardize his main event opportunity

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, zendragon said:

He couldn't change out of his gear, he left the building. His street clothes were in the locker room, which was in the building.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

21 hours ago, Log said:

100% He’s going to be with Ospreay, so we probably jump right into the Elite vs. United Empire after DoN.

15 minutes ago, Matt D said:

I think there's room to spin out Takeshita/Partner vs Claudio/Yuta at Forbidden Door too.

Yuji Hino or Kazusada Higuchi versus Claudio? Okay you sold me.

18 hours ago, JLowe said:

I started writing a half-ass one and the board didn't save it, so I'll work one up in Word when I have more energy.

I will say that the board is going to enjoy the Rampage main event, as did I.

Y'all, I am like 5 pages into a Word Document and haven't even gotten to main event of Dynamite. I need to either edit or make multiple posts.

Edited by JLowe
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

49 minutes ago, JLowe said:

Y'all, I am like 5 pages into a Word Document and haven't even gotten to main event of Dynamite. I need to either edit or make multiple posts.

Multiple posts. We have nothing but time.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1