DVDVR Message Board

Night of Champions X - 5/27/2023

Dolfan in NYC

ALL CHAMPIONSHIPS DEFENDED~! (except (AT LEAST) one!) ALL KINDS OF SHITTY TAKES INCOMING~!   WELCOME TO JEDDAH, KSA!

THE CARD!

TOURNAMENT FINAL FOR THE INAUGURAL WORLD HEAVYWEIGHT CHAMPIONSHIP - Seth F. Rollins vs. AJ Styles

FOR THE UNDISPUTED TAG TEAM CHAMPIONSHIP - Les Ours du Canada (Owens / Zayn, c) vs. The Bloodline (Reigns/Sikoa)

FOR THE INTERCONTINENTAL CHAMPIONSHIP - GUNTHER (C) vs. Mustafa Ali

FOR THE RAW WOMEN'S CHAMPIONSHIP - Bianca Bel Air (c) vs. Asuka

FOR THE SMACKDOWN WOMEN'S CHAMPIONSHIP - Rhea Ripley (c) vs. Natalya

Cody Rhodes vs. Brock Lesnar

*Becky Lynch vs. Trish Stratus

• Like 2

Shocked Sami Zayn/Kevin Owens are working Night of Champions. Only other thing I can see if Zayn gets taken out a week or two before to stop it. Roman Reigns may join the very rare list of holding the WWE Championship and WWE Tag Team Championship at the same time with Solo Sikoa. Can only think of Diesel in 1995, Steve Austin in 2001 and John Cena in 2007. If he does even temporarily, that's another belt on hiatus with Reigns' schedule. Not breaking up the Unified WWE Universal Championship and Unified WWE Tag Team belts has led to this. Cody Rhodes and Sami Zayn not winning the WWE Universal Championship at WrestleMania XXIX and Elimination Chamber 2023 respectively.

Edited by The Natural

Sami's biggest problem with working the Saudi shows was his the Syrian part of his dual citizenship.  The KSA did not have formal relations with Syria until a few months ago, which could have, you know been slightly problematic in a place as repressive as Saudi is.  Now that it's taken care of, Sami is free to work the shows.   

The one guy you'll probably never see at a Saudi show is Noam Dar, who's Israeli.   And I am NOT poking or even looking at that hornet's nest, and neither is anyone else here.  😐 

• Like 3

You can easily see the Saudis having different rules for athletes part of their sportswashing project. If Newcastle go to train there, would they leave home squad members with potential customs issues? Or would they get magically waved in? 

• Like 1

I'm still not going to watch the show because...well...do I even have to say why anymore?  BUT I will say of the Saudi shows this has some interesting matchups that on any other show I would like to check out.  Ali/Gunther in particular looks very promising even though the winner feels obvious.

Edited by NikoBaltimore
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, NikoBaltimore said:

I'm still not going to watch the show because...well...do I even have to say why anymore?  BUT I will say of the Saudi shows this has some interesting matchups that on any other show I would like to check out.  Ali/Gunther in particular looks very promising even though the winner feels obvious.

The biggest annoying thing for me since HHH took over creative is that the Saudi shows actually have good cards now. Still not watching them for similar reasons, but this does look nice. 

• Like 3

Okay this doesn't make sense.  The whole reason for the new belt is because Roman Reigns is a part timer and we need someone who will defend against all competition  Seth Rollins have been spending weeks talking about it.  So they have the media thing and only AJ Styles is there because Seth is filming some movie or shit.  What?  🤔

• Haha 2

That Sami Zayn moment when he came out and the promo was the best.  Guess I was wrong...  JIMMY fires the first shot.  So I guess Roman is gonna beat the shit out of him now and Jey will have to save his brother again and finally stand up to Roman.  Good stuff. 

Good ending. I was waiting for Jey to pull the trigger but all in good time I guess. Great moment for Sami and KO. I know people like to shit on Roman, the reign and his part timer status but the man has (by association and storyline) made a star out of Solo and made The Usos and KO/Sami even bigger stars than they already were. 

The whole Cody stuff was laughable, such a fucking hammy performance by him, he passes out but then rolls around the ring and is up and with it 40 seconds later?! 

I don’t get Seth Rollins’ current shtick and i never will. 

Thought this started later in the afternoon so I missed everything before Bianca/Auska. Twitter says Ali/Guether was worth watching.

Did not expect Auska to win here which does help keep Bianca out of "lol Cena wins" range. Trilogy at MITB or SummerSlam? 

Crowd was hype for the last 2 matches so that was good. And Jimmy sealed their fate after being fed up. Roman will pass Morales but will he catch up to Bruno's 2nd reign at 1,237? That would take him past next WM right? We'll hopefully get some more progression in the Bloodline story after this too.

As a big fan of Asuka I am happy she won, but something with that entire match didn't click. The crowd was the quietest for this match than any other on the card which didn't help, I am not sure if they were just buzzing down after the Ali match or fans worldwide were getting a little tired of Bianca's title reign. But the ending felt anti-climatic for ending such a long reign, it just all felt a little off.

They COULD do Cody-Brock rubber match at Battleground, Cody wins the ladder match at MitB for the world title shot, Cody beats Roman at Summerslam... right?

I know it's unjustified optimism.

I forgot the show started at one so I missed most of AJ and Seth. Was there was any doubt Seth was winning. 

Rest of the show was pretty good. 

Roman is gonna kill Jimmy and this next step in the bloodline story will be awesome.

Edited by Phantom Lord

31 minutes ago, Eivion said:

How were the matches?

I think this is the best Saudi Show as far at workrate overall Asuka vs Bianca was good. Seth vs AJ was great. I liked Ali vs Gunther and Trish vs Becky was better than I expected. The main event was overbooked towards the finish and the match kinda dragged early on but the finish was entertaining watching it as it happened because I was expecting Roman and Solo to win. I was expecting one of the Usos to turn but I wasn't sure it would be today.

Edited by Ziggy
  • Like 1

I loved that it was Jimmy who turned first. It plays off the origins of the Bloodline, when Jimmy returned wearing an " Nobody's Bitch" shirt and at first wasn't bending the knee to Roman like his brother did after getting beat by Reigns in HITC. 

Edited by Johnny Sorrow
  • Like 2