DVDVR Message Board

POLL 5/6 - 5/12 - WHAT WAS THE BEST FREE TV MATCH OF THE WEEK? it is a serious and silly duty

WHAT WAS THE BEST FREE TV MATCH OF THE WEEK?  

20 members have voted

1. 1. WHAT WAS THE BEST TV MATCH OF THE WEEK?

• SANADA vs. Hiromu Takahashi - NJPW on AXS TV
    • Cody Rhodes vs. Finn Balor vs. The Miz - RAW
    • Damian Priest vs. Seth Rollins vs. Shinsuke Nakamura - RAW
    • Finn Balor vs. Seth Rollins - RAW
    • Giovanni Vinci & Ludwig Kaiser vs. Kevin Owens & Sami Zayn - RAW
    • Athena vs. Skye Blue - ROH
    • Anthony Henry vs. AR Fox - ROH
    • Kyle Fletcher vs. Tony Deppen - ROH
    • Ninja Mack vs. Willie Mack - ROH
    • Claudio Castagnoli & Wheeler Yuta vs. Rhett Titus & Tracy Williams - ROH
    • Mark Briscoe vs. Shane Taylor - ROH
    • Spider Fly vs. Aguila Roja - IWRG Rey Del Ring
    • Jon Moxley vs. Kenny Omega - DYNAMITE
    • Anna Jay vs. Julia Hart - DYNAMITE
    • Orange Cassidy vs. Daniel Garcia - DYNAMITE
    • Brody King & Buddy Matthews & Malakai Black vs. Bandido & Chuck Taylor & Trent Beretta - DYNAMITE
    • Claudio Castagnoli vs. Rey Fenix - DYNAMITE
    • Momo Watanabe vs. Miyu Amasaki - STARDOM New Blood 8
    • Nanae Takahashi vs. Ruaka - STARDOM New Blood 8
    • KARMA & Starlight Kid vs. HANAKO & Lady C - STARDOM New Blood 8
    • Ami Sourei vs. Rina - STARDOM New Blood 8
    • BUSHI vs. Dan Moloney - BoSJ on NJPW WORLD
    • DOUKI vs. KUSHIDA - BoSJ on NJPW WORLD
    • Robbie Eagles vs. YOH - BoSJ on NJPW WORLD
    • Titan vs. TJP - BoSJ on NJPW WORLD
    • El Desperado vs. Yoshinobu Kanemaru - BoSJ on NJPW WORLD
    • Hiromu Takahashi vs. Mike Bailey - BoSJ on NJPW WORLD
    • Panterita Del Ring Jr. vs. Templario - CMLL Viernes Espectacular
    • Mephisto vs. Euforia vs. Dragon Rojo Jr. vs. Angel de Oro vs. Niebla Roja vs. Titan vs. Hechicero vs. Stigma vs. El Barbaro Cavernario vs. Gran Guerrero - CMLL Viernes Espectacular
    • Rey Mysterio vs. AJ Styles vs. Edge - SMACKDOWN
    • Bobby Lashley vs. Sheamus vs. Austin Theory - SMACKDOWN
    • AJ Styles vs. Bobby Lashley - SMACKDOWN
    • Jake Something vs. Lord Crewe - Derby City Wrestling
    • Danny Limelight vs. Zicky Dice - Derby City Wrestling
    • Steve Maclin vs. Rhino - IMPACT
    • The Coven (KiLynn King & Taylor Wilde) vs. Deonna Purrazzo & Jordynne Grace - IMPACT
    • Puerquiza Extrema (Pig Destroyer & Pig Destructor & Pig Pool) & El Hijo de Canis Lupus vs Dr. Karonte Jr. & Enfermero Del Mal & Esquizofrenia & Gran Markus NG - Producciones AVE
    • El Hijo de LA Park & LA Park & LA Park Jr. vs Fresero Jr. & Trauma I & Trauma II) - Producciones AVE
    • Bron Breakker vs. Trick Williams - NXT

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 05/20/2023 at 03:59 PM

What a WEEK for WRESTLING YOU DON'T HAVE TO PAY FOR. I mean, I understand you gotta pay for a teevee screen and you gotta pay the ever-withering Cable Man, you gotta pay for your monopolistic exploitative we-ain't-got-FiOS-on-yr-block internet providers, maybe you got bad eyes like mine are getting and you gotta buy a pair of glasses every now and then to even watch this stuff. Let's not overthink this. What a WEEK for WRESTLING NOT KEPT BEHIND A PAYWALL.

The bigg hittaz hitt. RAW went nuts. SMACKDOWN, nuts. DYNAMITE went fuken cashews. We can forgive NXT and IMPACT after their showing last week. A boulder-on-their-shouldered NJPW thought you might not have known their (post-clap-crowd) game is still one of the strongest on Earth and dropped AN ENTIRE HOT-AS-FUCK KORAKUEN SHOW FOR FREE and it also happens to be Night One of Best of the Super Juniors and is top-to-bottom awesome. An embarrassment of riches, a buffet fit for at least two very fat kings - NJPW out here trying to give you gout. A normal week and I'm betting Hiromu vs. Speedball wins this in its sleep. And then STARDOM does these freebie YouTube shows where they showcase (and generally beat the shit out of) their young guard and it works. Three hours of high end joshi w/ a BIG TIME COMEDY MAIN EVENT (that missed the cut)- be aware all these matches feel kinda long. The perfect thing to put on while you dust your over-the-door shoe organizer (I would like to know more about Miyu Amasaki. Failed supernova? Next big thing? Scared but tough kid out there doin her best? The internet provides far too many differing opinions. Also Lady C is a fuckin' lottery pick.). I watched NWA PowerrR so you don't have to. 

I still don't know which Japanese companies do free streams and the Mas Lucha channel didn't have nearly the bounty they presented last week but who cares when CMLL is still THA most consistent free weekly YouTube show in the world. Templario vs. Panterita Jr. absolutely fucks + this company continues to churn out Ciberneticos that hit like a sushi boat that you can't believe you finished by yourself and they aren't even MAD AT YOU FOR NOT PAYING FOR IT. I know ROH is in fact behind a paywall but it counts for some sentimental reason in a way that nothing else does - AR Fox vs Henry and certainly Athena vs. Skye Blue are contendahs. Derby City is the best throwback/OVWesque show two weeks running - this show MIGHT fill the AEW Dark shaped hole in yr heart.

I think... watching lucha indies is the most important thing we can do as aspirational crate-diggers/tastemakers, given the amount of 1) content 2) talent 3) lack of English-language discussion around the stuff. So I submit these matches from Producciones AVE, because they have the most views this week on Mas Lucha (this tends to correlate w/ crowd heat) and sometimes feature entire rows of chairs being chucked at people's heads. Regular IWRG had no crowd but the Spider Fly match that was released from their big show cuts the mustard.

Internet-Only Match/Show Dump - 

Spoiler

NJPW Best of the Super Juniors - Night One (FOR ENTIRELY FREE)
https://njpwworld.com/p/s_00651_3_1

CMLL Viernes Espectacular
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFHHummEeos

STARDOM New Blood 8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KkJUdt0QQbg

Before The Impact - Ace Austin vs. Zicky Dice (queued to match)
https://youtu.be/12dCScu5rMc?t=1735

Derby City Wrestling presented by (the) CAR SHIELD
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYfaugd5C0I

Spider Fly vs. Aguila Roja
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Io31if-RKg&t=2s

Los Parks vs. Los Traumas
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y2ayWWv51Wk

La Puerquiza Extrema & Hijo de Canis Lupus vs La Muralla Blanca
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tcZW-LyLAYc

Edited by John E. Dynamite
  • Thanks 5

I was gonna mewl about not having seen Impact all the way through or NXT or the NJ match etc. and then remembered the cage match and said "well, fuck it, of course". To paraphrase Slim Charles, "That was for DEAN."

But really Orange/Garcia should win.

Raw and NXT had some nice stuff, but nothing super standout.

The singles matches from Dynamite were all really good-great and very different. Its between OC/Garcia and Claudio/Fenix for my favorite among them.

My DVR screwed me over and missed NJPW on AXS somehow so I'm kind of annoyed with that. Really wanted to see Sananda/Hiromu.

The New Blood show from Stardom was super fun. People should definitely check it out if they have a chance. Miyu and Ruaka came out of their matches looking so darn good. Its nothing on the level of the bigger matches from this week but well worth watching in seeing younger wrestlers getting good. 

Was not expecting the the first night of BOSJ to be free. Hiromu/Bailey is easily on the level of the great Dynamite matches from this week with Despy/Kanemaru & Titan/TJP not being far behind. That said people really should just check out the entire show. It was so damn good with the crowd into everything and all the matches oifferignsomethign a little different from each other styles wise in general. It was the best show this week.

Smackdown was pretty fun with the triple threats delivering more than expected and Lashley/Styles taking each other on I think for the first time in WWE.

Not sure what i'm voting on quite yet. Still need to check out the Lucha matches.

1 hour ago, John E. Dynamite said:

Have they done Hiromu vs. Kanemaru, Shingo vs. Taichi, Aussie Open vs. TMDK or Catch 22 vs. KUSHIDA & Knight?

Nope. From what I have caught the past year they usually only backtrack from the same shows or NPJW USA shows. next week is probably going to be a couple of matches from BOSJ or Finlay/Tama. Hoping I'm wrong here since I would love to catch Aussie Open vs. TMDK. 

I'm probably going to move next week's poll to a different day of the week. Compiling the matches Friday night/Saturday morning, after the Smackdown + Rampage madness and the at-least-occasional deluge of stuff that gets posted on YouTube around that time... it is not super feasible for a man who works Fridays and Saturdays in a weekend-favoring industry. So probably Sunday, maybe Monday if it makes more sense.

Edited by John E. Dynamite
  • Like 3

I couldn't get over the "Why didn't Don Callis let Moxley stab Omega?" factor and went with Hiromu vs. Speedball, but Dynamite MOTN was OC vs. Garcia. Danny sold the sting of losing very well.

I think I was getting the CMLL Cibernetico mixed up with the prior week's, which I watched late. That one was dope. This one was my faves getting eliminated early, Hechicero doing his best, and Gran Guerrero + Dragon Rojo Jr. being themselves. Ugh. At least CMLL results tell me I'll like where the booking goes, but the co-main Mistico match should have been in the poll instead.

• Like 1

OC/Garcia for sure this week.  OC's run has been fantastic.

AEW's booking themselves into a corner with OC - like with Jade, whoever beats OC will be made.  Do they go with an established star or do you elevate someone?  

(I kind of like the idea of Jay White being the guy, especially if MJF stays A) World Champ and B) Heel.)

(I also think Willow should be elevated with a good story to beat Jade.  Or Statlander depending on when she's able to come back.)

• Like 1

The Producciones AVE matches were decent brawls but nothing standout.

Dug Athena/Blue a good deal

Templario/Panterita was good fun with neat moves and moments different from the standard in CMLL. The Cibernetico was solid, but was missing an element that made it as fun and interestign as previous ones from this year.

Went with Hiromu/Bailey in the end. 

• Like 1

ack. I'm supposed to announce the winner, aren't I?

MOX VS. OMEGA takes an early lead and CRASHES through the cage of Hiromu/Bailey to win this one comfortably! OK unpin the topic so we can focus on the poll where DYNAMITE *maybe* doesn't totally dominate? Even though it might.