DVDVR Message Board

THE LEGEND OF ZELDA: Tears of the Kingdom Megathread (Please use spoilers when necessary)

Well, not that it has much competition, but this might be the best Water Temple they've done.  Boss is another exemplar of Zelda boss weirdness being a strong suit.  The reward could actually be pretty strong in specific cases, but I can see that the Divine powers were handled more smoothly than these are.

1 hour ago, odessasteps said:

The Water Temple

Speaking of the Water Temple, I'm about to hit the Water Temple in my first ever OOT run (got the Boots and the song last night). I should just use a guide and save myself headache, right?

6 hours ago, Matt D said:

Speaking of the Water Temple, I'm about to hit the Water Temple in my first ever OOT run (got the Boots and the song last night). I should just use a guide and save myself headache, right?

as someone who usually avoids guides and spoilers at all costs? 

yes. use the guide.

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Craig H said:

Welp, I’ve joined the club. About shit myself seeing gloom hands the first time. Fuck those things. I’d rather deal with guardians again.

15 minutes ago, Zimbra said:

I didn't realize there is a whole-ass Underdark in this game.

Also, I hate it down there.

Yeah, I just beat my first mini-boss down there, it's basically a variant on the Molduga fights, which is no surprise.  I should have realized it would go that way the first time I fought it instead of reloading after it beat me half to death.

I'm up to something like 18 lightroots, and the map is *barely* revealed.  For a weenie like myself, it's basically like playing Dark Souls with an emphasis on the "dark".  I don't even want to think how many there actually are.  80 or some crazy shit like that?  Jesus.

I had one of those Gloom Hands pop up along Lanayru where the Lynel & Hinox and the first memory used to be in BotW.  So I'm running in there, thinking, "Oh, OK, they got rid of all the big bads in the area, and even the bridge spot was pretty clean.  Weird how you get these empty patc--OH SHIT WHAT IS THIS?!?!?!".  So that ALSO freaked me the fuck out, probably as bad as it did Craig.  I think their appearance on the overworld map almost necessitates keeping a smallish stock of speed boosts, so you can get the Hell away with some timely sprinting and bait them toward higher ground for an ass-whooping.  Somehow even worse than the original Wallmasters.   I need to explore more and see if there's a reasonable merchant who carries bomb flowers because, goddamn, you go through those with everything.  Still haven't gone to Gerudo Town, Goron City, or the Western Hebra region. 

But on that note, I'm loving all the callbacks to the earlier games.

The Lurelin quest, on the other hand, is a right pain in the ass.  Chopping down wood was bad enough.  Retrieving LOGS?  Are you shitting me?  Luckily you can turn them in piecemeal.

Edited by Contentious C

LOL, I would speed through shrines in BotW just so I could do that.  Partly for weapons, also for equipment upgrades.  I, uh, don't see myself doing it with this one for a bit.  But once you're at about 15-20 hearts and maybe approaching 30 defense, it ought to be pretty plausible to at least beat down the Reds if you parry well.  My timing is really off on that right now.  The Temple rewards ought to help with it, too; they're already sometimes pretty useful with respect to kiting.  Not so much the skills themselves, but the targeting aspect of them.

I wonder if the Barbarian outfit is still in the labyrinths.  I always thought it was massive cheese to be able to switch outfits mid-fight, but, of course, I did the 'stun/ride/outfit swap/whack with 2-hander/switch back once you're bucked' thing constantly.  I'd guess that's still an option if some kind of Attack-Up outfit is still around.

Edited by Contentious C

Yeah, said above video was changing outfits mid-fight with the lyonels. 

And the lyonel weapons when fused were creating the most powerful weapons in the game, like 159 attack power or something like that. 

I was about to ask if Lynels were still in the game.

I'm loving this. Somehow, between the sky islands and the chasms, they made this game feel like the biggest game I've ever played. I spent probably 30 minutes figuring out how to get to Rito Village to investigate one of the outbreaks there and couldn't figure out how to get there without running out of stamina. Finally thought, oh, I can shoot up on the closest tower and then dive towards the village. My first try doing that I ran out of stamina and fell to my death. Second try I made it. At least I did the shrine there so I can just fast travel right to it from now on.

This game also makes me wish I had played Skyward Sword and a couple of the other games, but my daughter has the Legend of Zelda encyclopedia so I may flip through that to try to get the backstory on everything because it does feel like there's a lot of references to past games. That brings me to the question of...do these people realize they're just stuck in a fucked up time loop where they keep being reborn and going through the same shit with Ganon all over again? Seems like the story from FF7-R with Sephiroth fucking with the timeline would fit perfectly here if just to reboot everything.

1 hour ago, Craig H said:

I spent probably 30 minutes figuring out how to get to Rito Village to investigate one of the outbreaks there and couldn't figure out how to get there without running out of stamina. Finally thought, oh, I can shoot up on the closest tower and then dive towards the village. My first try doing that I ran out of stamina and fell to my death. Second try I made it. At least I did the shrine there so I can just fast travel right to it from now on.

LOL, I had to revisit the site to remember what I did, but they only give you about 4 hints of what they expect you to do.  I ended up

Spoiler

throwing a pine cone into the nearest fire and rode the makeshift Revali's Gale up to float across the broken bridge.

This game is full of ways to scare the bejesus out of your countrymen with the bonkers shit you can do, and that was no exception.

Edited by Contentious C

Went off in search of how to unlock the Hateno lab, because my reading comprehension skills suck.  So I:

-Arrived at Hateno, checked the door, checked the roof

-Picked off Naydra's claw because I knew I needed it

-Did a cave and a shrine

-Tossed an overpacked Korok down a mountain in an instance of Korok abuse as egregious as it was hilarious

-Found a message in a bottle

-Found the message writer after some Miami Vice boating-type stuff

-Did another cave that almost got my ass kicked

-Redirected to the Lanayru spring with that claw

-Ran into ANOTHER FUCKING GLOOM HAND and...uhhhhhhhh...I never want to see those again.  Never ever.

-Got up the mountain and unlocked the tower

-Heard some bullshit from some guy about rings and did another shrine (because some shrines exist just so we have to do shield-surfing, which we would otherwise ignore)

And still didn't figure out how to unlock Hateno.  That's LOZ for ya.

Of course, once I actually bothered reading messages from NPCs and followed instructions, I finally found the spot in the Depths I was hoping to find, and DAMN do things start progressing fast from there.

Edited by Contentious C

GameCentral:

Edge published its 10/10 review for Tears Of The Kingdom just a couple of days ago, but Famitsu only shared theirs early this morning, granting it a score of 40/40.

For context, Famitsu reviews are made by four individual reviewers that each provide their own score. So, to get a perfect score all four of them consider the game a 10/10.

Unlike Edge, Famitsu is not noted for its high standards in terms of reviews, but the way their scores are calculated still makes it difficult to get 40/40.

Tears Of The Kingdom is only the sixth game both outlets have awarded perfect scores, with four of those being Zelda titles.

The other three are the original Ocarina Of Time for the N64, 2011’s Skyward Sword for the Wii, and, unsurprisingly, Breath Of The Wild - the predecessor to Tears Of The Kingdom.

The only non-Zelda games to manage the same achievement are the first Bayonetta and Rockstar’s Grand Theft Auto 5.

Got to the first dungeon in Hebra. Holy shit. I thought it would take me forever to get to the top of that storm. I was also ill equipped for the environment up there and burned through too much food before I ever got to the boss. On the way there, I'll say that I found the puzzles to be pretty enjoyable as they used all of your abilities. The boss itself is such a motherfucker and shows you that you need to plan for boss fights way more than you did in the first game.

In the first game, I did the elephant divine beast first and pretty much went in with what I had on me, which wasn't much, I get in the elephant, got through the puzzles, and then eventually figured out the pattern to beat the boss there. In TotK, yeah, none of that shit is going to work. I eventually had to bail and go farm up a ton of spicy peppers and arrows. I'll give it another go tonight. 

On 5/16/2023 at 3:24 PM, twiztor said:

as someone who usually avoids guides and spoilers at all costs? 

yes. use the guide.

I beat the water temple with a guide. It was like putting together an IKEA cabinet. It was the right choice.
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

I'm curious to see how far I personally get with this game but I'm right now fucking around in Hyrule castle talking to the NPCs.  My wife's going to beat the whole thing so if I don't go too far then might as well look things up so I can try and be of some use.

So after hearing about the Gloom Hand I had to look this fucker up.  And aside from my initial "Holy fuck!" reaction I can only imagine how much this will freak my wife the fuck out.  Good gravy that's terrifying.  Though I peek at the video Odessa was alluding to and that should be good use when it's time for the Coliseum.

A hint I saw today about Gloom Hands

Spoiler

Climb a Pillar. They apparently can't attack if you are on something and at a 90 degree angle. They will despawn and give you dark clumps.

Edited by odessasteps

Welp, when this game tells you "things above are much the same below", they really mean it.  Massive spoilers.  If you like exploring on your own, do not read this.

Spoiler

Every Lightroot is aptly named: it's the root system for the Light Shrine above it.  So if you know where a surface shrine is, you can map out your lightroots very easily.  I figured this out Tuesday night and then felt really dumb I hadn't already noticed it.  Similarly, everywhere there's a major Goddess Statue, including the Forgotten Temple, has the Bargainer Statue in its chthonic counterpart. 

This game is a massively bloated pain in the ass and I'm loving every minute of it.

Edited by Contentious C