DVDVR Message Board

Double or Nothing V - 5/28/2023

4 hours ago, Zimbra said:

I really think AEW's insistence on having everything end on pinfall or submission has become counterproductive.  Having the occasional DQ or countout is fine and is preferable to making the refs and wrestlers look like jackasses.

Absofuckinglutely!

I also think the grossly overrated (especially outside of anything involving Zayn) 'Bloodline' storyline pushed them into the thinking they needed more 'stories'. Something they rarely do particularly well. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Dolphman 3000 said:

I feel like Will Washington having no experience in writing is going to bite them in the ass.

Tony's on the right track by wanting someone like Chris Kreski to plot out long-term storylines, but Kreski had a decade of television writing under his belt by the time he got to WWE. Washington has probably never even seen a storyboard.

What are the guy who put Lucha underground together up to?

2 hours ago, HarryArchieGus said:

Absofuckinglutely!

I also think the grossly overrated (especially outside of anything involving Zayn) 'Bloodline' storyline pushed them into the thinking they needed more 'stories'. Something they rarely do particularly well. 

I don't mind them doing overarching stories, I just want them to hire people who actually know how to write to write them.

1 hour ago, Zimbra said:

I don't mind them doing overarching stories, I just want them to hire people who actually know how to write to write them.

That would be better and I could certainly accept that. But I'm a daydreamer and my dream is of a simpler pro wrestling reliant on (mostly uninterrupted) promos, video packages, good angles, and matches. I liked when AEW seemed laugh at the idea of writers. Tho, back to your comment, and if there's a want from this company for writing then you're gonna need some competent writers. 

• Like 1

When Cole vs Jericho was happening live, I was saying in the Discord that Meltz would give it 4*, even though nobody was digging it. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, The Natural said:

Meltzer:

Blackpool Combat Club vs. The Elite, *****.

MJF vs. Darby Allin vs. Sammy Guevara vs. Jungle Boy, *****3/4.

You added an extra star for the 4-way. Not that it matters. But it does matter to Sammy, so that's kind of funny.

• Thanks 1

Meltzer:

Matt Jackson came up with the exploding superkick spot about a month ago. He wanted to do something that hadn’t been done and to do so he had to get a Nevada State Fire Performers license that other entertainment acts in Las Vegas using things like that as part of the show have to get.

Meltzer gave Anarchy in the Arena at Double or Nothing 2023 a five-star rating. Last year's Anarchy in the Arena match also received the same rating. 

The Young Bucks have now been in 10 matches rated five stars or above, Kenny Omega has been in 23 (the record is 25), Moxley has been in four, Danielson has been in five, and Hangman Page has also been in five. Sunday's match at Double or Nothing was the first five-star match for both Claudio Castagnoli and Wheeler Yuta.

• Like 2

The AitA rating is greater than the sum of its parts. Nick Jackson didn't put in a five-star performance, Claudio didn't wrestle a five-star match, it's not going on Danielson's Greatest Hits Compilation, and so on for every participant. So all these people are in a five star match, without wrestling a five-star match.

• Like 2

Really something that Dave Meltzer didn't think Bryan Danielson had a ***** match before joining AEW. Here's his five:

• Bryan Danielson vs. Kenny Omega. AEW Grand Slam Dynamite, 22nd September 2021.
  • Bryan Danielson vs. Adam Page. AEW Winter is Coming Dynamite, 15th December 2021.
  • Anarchy in the Arena. AEW Double or Nothing 2022.
  • Bryan Danielson vs. MJF. AEW Revolution 2023.
  • Anarchy in the Arena. AEW Double or Nothing 2023.

Here's the Bryan Danielson matches I awarded *****:

• Cage of Death. ROH Death before Dishonour 2006. Danielson has a small but crucial role in the match.
  • Bryan Danielson vs. KENTA. ROH Glory by Honour V.
  • Bryan Danielson vs. Takeshi Morishima. ROH Manhattan Mayhem II.
  • Daniel Bryan/Kane/Ryback vs. The Shield. WWE TLC 2012.
  • Daniel Bryan vs. Antonio Cesaro. WWE RAW, 22nd July 2013.
  • Daniel Bryan vs. John Cena. WWE SummerSlam 2013.
  • Daniel Bryan vs. Randy Orton vs. Batista. WWE WrestleMania XXX. An emotive pick for me.
  • Daniel Bryan vs. AJ Styles. WWE TLC 2018.
  • Bryan Danielson vs. Kenny Omega. AEW Grand Slam Dynamite, 22nd September 2021.
  • Bryan Danielson vs. Minoru Suzuki. AEW The Buy In: Rampage, 15th October 2021.
  • Bryan Danielson vs. Hangman Adam Page. AEW Winter is Coming Dynamite, 15th December 2021.
  • Bryan Danielson vs. Hangman Adam Page. AEW Dynamite, 6th January 2022.
  • Bryan Danielson vs. MJF. AEW Revolution 2023.
Edited by The Natural

I don't think either Anarchy in the Arena match came close to touching the first Stadium Stampede, but they all got the same rating.

Love Dave, but as long as Jericho and the Bucks are his sources for gossip he'll keep inflating their egos.

We have a local baseball writer around here who rarely criticizes the hometown team because they put him in their Hall of Fame, and if you even try and bring up the fact that he's not an objective source of information, he loses his mind.

Looking at these might-as-well-be-random Meltzer ratings continues to remind me that pro wrestling's most worthwhile tastemaker left us a month ago. 

I don't need to agree with everyone. I read Christgau and Kael and Ebert for fun all the time. But wrestling has deserved better for decades.

Edited by John E. Dynamite
  • Like 2
  • Sad 3

4 minutes ago, John E. Dynamite said:

I don't need to agree with everyone. I read Christgau and Kael and Ebert for fun all the time. But wrestling has deserved better for decades.

I've read some "Reviews Ebert Got Wrong" articles about notably good movies he hated for whatever reason, but overall he was reliable. Prior to Meltzer becoming a regular at PWG events in 2015, the only controversial ratings that come to mind were Angle/Benoit not getting 5 stars, and Flair's retirement match only getting ***1/2.

Feels like the PWG stuff blew his mind and he's been in that headspace ever since, which makes me sad that he never really watched peak CHIKARA or any other indie stuff from 2000-2014. Other than some ROH DVDs, he never really rated any wrestling that wasn't on national TV or PPV.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, John E. Dynamite said:

Looking at these might-as-well-be-random Meltzer ratings continues to remind me that pro wrestling's most worthwhile tastemaker left us a month ago. 

That's right, Meltzer wishes that he could RULE THE WORLD~!

• Like 1