DVDVR Message Board

Double or Nothing V - 5/28/2023

Jon Moxley vs. The late, great Mr. Brodie Lee at AEW Double or Nothing 2020, such an underrated match. One of the best in AEW history. Mr. Brodie Lee that year was something else with this match, the Cody squash, vs. Dustin Rhodes and his ***** Dog Collar match vs.  Cody which turned out to be his last.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 5

So AEW Double or Nothing will be the "third" major event this weekend. The last time an AEW PPV show was the third event of the weekend, Tony Khan did this:

Last time he said he's "not going to sit back and take this ****ing ****." Ball's in your court, Tony Khan.

• Like 1

Seeing Bryan Danielson and Kenny Omega going at it again is a big reason to buy the show but Danielson got hurt in Anarchy in the Arena last time round. Jamie Hayter vs. Toni Storm rematch is a draw to me, it was the match of the night at Full Gear 2022 and one of the best matches in AEW history. I have fuck all interest whatsoever in Adam Cole vs. Chris Jericho and the AEW World Championship match is a weak headliner. Rest of the show isn't grabbing me. I think I'll wait on word of mouth here and see Double or Nothing 2023 at a later date putting the cash to Forbidden Door 2023 instead.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, The Natural said:

AEW World Championship match is a weak headliner.

If 3-6 months from now the title is back with Mox, Omega, Hangman, or Punk, there better be ZERO COMPLAINTS from anyone who said this!!

(BTW, I'm only picking on you 'cause you're the last guy to put it out there, and thusly the easiest to quote - I assure you nothing personal, nor do I even disagree with you in principle tbh. Just so, so ready to move on...)

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

If 3-6 months from now the title is back with Mox, Omega, Hangman, or Punk, there better be ZERO COMPLAINTS from anyone who said this!!

(BTW, I'm only picking on you 'cause you're the last guy to put it out there, and thusly the easiest to quote - I assure you nothing personal, nor do I even disagree with you in principle tbh. Just so, so ready to move on...)

I mainly agree with this, but I'd argue it's more weak from the perspective that no one can imagine any way MJF doesn't retain. The mistake isn't doing this match, it's failing to build it so that any of the other three pillars can really win. They've badly telegraphed MJF having a long, 2002 HHH kind of a reign, and it's therefore very tough to create any interest in his defences only a couple of PPVs into it. Wardlow win some time in 2024 is probably predestined, which would be good long term storytelling but also very boring until then when you can see it coming. And I say this as a huge AEW fan, but one who thinks their world title scene has nearly always suffered from this to some extent.

Give me chaos, I want Swerve as champion, or Malakai, or Fenix. I want them to put the belt on a Sanada, whose title reign will be interesting as long as it lasts because you always wonder if they'll cut bait and put it on the challenger.

Edited by SturmCRF
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Weirdly, perhaps, I kind of expect zero titles to change hands at Double or Nothing. More or less obviously MJF retains, it would be kind of nuts if FTR don't retain, Wardlow is not likely going to drop the belt to Christian, I f'n hope Hayter retains, have to imagine Jade retains until Stat is ready to come back... Orangey boy could conceivably lose in the Battle Royal, of course, and he's doing a great job in the "beat up and worn down champion" role... But he's the dude I MOST want to see retain out of all those championship defences. So, yeah, I could be completely wrong and AEW has certainly shocked us all before, but I'm kind of expecting/hoping everyone retains.

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, Gordlow said:

Wardlow is not likely going to drop the belt to Christian

It kinda stinks that so much of Wardlow's involvement with the title so far has involved the hot potato stuff with Hobbs and Joe, because - and no surprise here - I'd be way into a Christian reign, even just a quickie run from now to All In. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

No worries, pal.

55 minutes ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

It kinda stinks that so much of Wardlow's involvement with the title so far has involved the hot potato stuff with Hobbs and Joe, because - and no surprise here - I'd be way into a Christian reign, even just a quickie run from now to All In. 

Put the TNT Championship on Christian Cage, build the belt back up, put young talent in with Christian Cage to learn from and then Cage puts over someone who needs the rub. Christian Cage is a top ten wrestler in AEW and top five all round talents who can do it all.

• Like 1

I'm still angry on how they hot potatoed off of Hobbs. I don't get this ladder match happening at the PPV at all. These two having a ladder match no makes no sense. Also, Christian Cage is 49 and probably shouldn't even be in a ladder match with all the injuries he's dealt with throughout his career.

9 hours ago, TheVileOne said:

So AEW Double or Nothing will be the "third" major event this weekend. The last time an AEW PPV show was the third event of the weekend, Tony Khan did this:

Last time he said he's "not going to sit back and take this ****ing ****." Ball's in your court, Tony Khan.

Coach TK is a kind of a dork. 

• Haha 1

Fite.tv has randomly started seliing the next 4 AEW PPVs (DoN, Forbidden Door, All Out and Full Gear) for a bundle price of $71.99. I'd have gone for it, but I already bought Double or Nothing with fite credits.

• Like 1

• Pillars Match: the cardinal sin in this feud was not keeping Sammy and MJF together longer as they were pretty funny together and this feud needed fun. They should have done some twists and turns. Have Max and Sammy win the first tag by cheating and through miscommunication from the faces but then have it so that if Darby/Sting and Jungle Boy/Luchasaurus beat them, each would be inserted into the main and Jungle Boy would have to overcome crazy odds and... I don't know. 4 ways are never great matches but they can have a lot of fun character beats and that's what I'm expecting here.
  • FTR vs Triple J: This is all about Mark Briscoe's antics. I'm not sure if it's "PPV-worthy" but it should be great fun.
  • Hayter vs Storm: Feels very weird that after everything, we're back to this match. If Jamie is really hurt, they could have run the six-woman match that they never got to run with some stip behind it ("If the Outcasts win, they get to challenge once a week for Jamie's title whenever they want" or something). If Hayter is healthy, this will obviously be good. Storm's promos and overall character is pretty wonky, but she's been really good in ring.
  • Jade vs Taya: Maybe it would have been better for Taya to earn the ability to use her finisher again. Done a deal where Jade brought in Max the Impaler and Heidi Howitzer and Taya would have to beat them in a gauntlet match without using her finisher to earn it back. Something. Anything. Otherwise, it's just a wonky build. Taya is an opponent that Jade can maybe do 1-2 extra things against given her size/strength and she probably shouldn't be doing those things but she probably really wants to, so this might be more frustrating than anything else. Hopefully Stat's ready to come back.
  • Battle Royal: I like Cassidy as champ. I like AEW battle royals. I like the idea of a joker if there is one. I don't like the pacing of the Blackjack ones all that much otherwise. Hopefully this is full of some goofy interactions and some overlapping stories like the Bullet Club/Starks feud and maybe House of Black/Acclaimed+Gunn and maybe Lee/Swerve, and everyone gets a payday and Cassidy keeps the belt. If they were going to do Cassidy vs Takeshita at Forbidden Door, for instance (which isn't the most interesting use of Cassidy since you'd want him against someone he couldn't wrestle any old Wednesday, buts still..) well, this isn't a bad place to set it up. EDIT: Or just don't have a joker, whatever.
  • Cole vs Jericho: Sabu! That is all.
  • Anarchy in the Arena: Am I going to watch this? I mean, probably. There better be some goofy stuff with Mox's theme. Is Danielson secretly hurt? I get the sense it'll end up as more of a stunt/spot show than unbridled violence. We'll see. It feels a little weird to do it so soon after the Strong/Jericho FCA match.
  • Page/Gunns vs Hardys/Partner: Should be enjoyable to me at least. Should be on the pre-show. I await four months of Matt Hardy owning Ethan Page's contract though I don't get how that works, even with two extra hours of TV, without Dark. it belongs on Dark.
  • Wardlow vs Christian Cage: This should not be a ladder match, but at least you know it's going to be one of those ladder matches that are less about big spots and more about a metallic object being used as a weapon to hurt someone over and over again (probably! There are two other matches like that on this card; this should not be a ladder match!) I don't think Wardlow needs the belt for a big match at All In, for instance whereas it'd be a great place for Christian to put over someone like Pac. Do you really want both Christian and MJF to have titles at the same time. It'd probably make MJF look bush league by comparison. 

I'd like to see 1-3 pre-show matches along the lines of things we've gotten on past PPVs. It'd be good to have Willow defend against someone on the Bunny/Penelope Ford level. Or Nyla even. You might want to build that last one up a bit.

Weirdly, I'm way more into this PPV than the last one. The last one just felt like a lot of rematches and rehashed things, with a main event that was just going to be a lot of work to watch. This has some of that too, but it all just feels weirder to me somehow.  Like, if you went back to Grand Slam and told someone the Revolution card, they would have nodded and went "Ok yeah, that all makes sense except for the Orange Cassidy/Danhausen team). You tell them this card and they're much more baffled. This feels more like "my" AEW somehow, good and bad. 

That said, we're on the road to Forbidden Door, All In, All Out, Collision, the Owen Tournament, etc. and both the exciting things and the crazy, unpredictable, surprising, unexpected match-ups are all ahead of us.

Edited by Matt D
  • Like 4

They have announced all of the competitors in the Battle Royal for Orange’s titles. All AEW regulars.

Now why both Chuck and Trent? were amongst the 20 people to demand a title shot, I don’t know.

10 minutes ago, AxB said:

They have announced all of the competitors in the Battle Royal for Orange’s titles. All AEW regulars.

Now why both Chuck and Trent? were amongst the 20 people to demand a title shot, I don’t know.

Do you mind telling me where I can find the list? Meltzer had one, but it was missing 3 names. 

Those two are probably there to “help” Orange until one (most likely Trent based on how he’s acted this year) of them tries turning to win the belt instead.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, LF2 said:

Do you mind telling me where I can find the list? Meltzer had one, but it was missing 3 names. 

Those two are probably there to “help” Orange until one (most likely Trent based on how he’s acted this year) of them tries turning to win the belt instead.

AEW’s twitter. There’s a big banner with everyone. Or someone with the power to post tweets to the board (which I can’t do) could put it up here.

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, AxB said:

I'm going with Jay White to win the battle royal. 

• Like 3