DVDVR Message Board

Smackdown Spoilers for 11/29/13

victor

That final hour of television was #1 and the best. Oh man. The Shield/Rhodes Boys add ANOTHER chapter to their feud. That match on its own was awesome and great and had the added bonus of Dean being fantastic at color. Then add the brief Punk six-man that morphs into the Wyatt's involvement? So friggin' awesome. All sorts of diving around and craziness and everything.

Thank you, HHH, for wanting our lives to be filled with tag team wrestling. It is the most glorious of wrestling.

• Like 3

I assume people just haven't watched Smackdown yet because the final hour of the show was one of the best hours of wrestling ever. It was so friggin' great. Please watch this. It starts with another MOTYC between two amazing tag teams, then morphs into a really heated hate-filled brawl with Punk and Ambrose centering more of that goodness and then ends up with the best characters in years in the Wyatt Family entering the fray and more than carrying their end of the bargain on the heel side. And the face side is evened up with The excellent Usos and one of the likely ten best workers ever (at least) in Rey involved as well.

The only way this could have gotten better is if a brainwashed Daniel Bryan emerged from the swamp to give the heels the win or if Sami Zayn somehow made his debut.

That really was a great second hour. Ambrose on commentary and then arguing with the Wyatt Family in the corner was good, but not as good as Harper just staring down at him afterwards. Cole missed it, of course.

Tag team wrestling is good. Letting these guys go for almost an hour is... strange but amazing.

Unless both the Shield and Wyatts are going over big in the end (not going to happen), they need to start picking up some wins. The Punk/Heyman feud was a waste because his opponents never got any momentum, does Punk really need to continually go over the Wyatts? Punk is teflon, help put some guys over ffs.

My God, that extended main event was so much fun. I was loving it when it was just two-on-two, and it lost some of its shine when the final match-up was going on, but even then it was fun. But the original tag match was just so good. Goldust and Roman Reigns having a staredown after a tag made my head run wild with images of an extended singles feud between the two of them, which could only be good for Reigns. Goldust was rocking it, and his fire made me damn near jump out of my chair when he countered a Back Body Drop attempt with his usual 'fall to knees and uppercut', and preceded it with a fired-up, Southern-sounding, 'OH! NOT TODAY!'. Just so, so, so much fun.

WWE, I just can't quit you. You bury me in the dirt on Monday and pull me out on Friday. I can't stay mad when given a straight hour of great tag wrestling, even when prefaced by puke gags and a heatless, crowd-deflating Orton. This seriously needs to build to a Hell in the Cell Wargames match or something with similarly insane stipulations. Holy FUCK did Harper murder Rey with that big boot...

Side note: I hate Ambrose's new haircut but the hair grease slicking the back of his chair made me happy. Or maybe that was just leftover vomit.

Based on Greggulator's recommendation, I watched the last hour and it definitely lived up to expectations. I was gripped through all of it, although I feel there's such a tonal dissonance between the comedy stooge Vicki and the creepy nightmare fuel that are the Wyatts that it's just jarring when they interact. 

I did love Dean Ambrose on colour. He can obviously hang with the announce team and never seemed out of his depth or at a loss for words like some others on the roster do when exposed on the announce table. But to me, sometimes he was trying to show his chops as an announcer at the expense of staying in character. The only time I knew that he cared about his 'brothers from another mother' and was totally committed to the triumph of the Shield as a unit was when he got physically involved. Until then, he was cracking jokes about 'Vintage Goldust' while Reigns was getting beaten up. But maybe it was deliberate, and it's only a minor point anyway.

I don't think you can say anything about the Shield and the Rhodes that hasn't already been said - phenomenal. Personally, I want to see more and more of Bray and Luke Harper all over WWE television. Just imagining all the verbal and in-ring interactions with everyone on the roster makes me excited for the future.  

Hey, Ambrose had moments where he was yelling "DON'T LET HIM TAG" in panic several times in that match. That's involved enough for me. I think your complaints can be chalked up to him being in character as a nonchalant, arrogant prick who is so convinced his team will win that he's just going to talk shit most of the time. 

Rowan is indeed getting a little better. He's coming off like a weird swamp mutant weirdo like Luke instead of just a green guy now. His selling was particularly good in this one.

Yeah, I guess that may be it. 

And I didn't mention Rowan in the previous post, but I certainly don't think he detracts from the stable. I've always been in the camp that thinks his awkward greenness fits the character anyway, but he does seem to be improving a bit.

And the whole stable just have that genuinely menacing, physical intimidation factor. Lots of guys on the roster over the years, whatever their size/opponent/quality of booking, will will only ever come across as well-conditioned, attractive athletes ready to go through the choreographed motions with a guy who is actually their friend (or at least colleague in entertainment). Whereas I get instinctively scared on behalf of any of the Wyatts' targets, imagining being in their shoes. My 8 year old nephew feels the same way. And it's testament to the design and execution of the characters that we both connect in the same way, despite the 20+ year age gap.   

• Like 1

Want to talk someone to beat UT's streak? Bray Wyatt -- or Harper as his henchman -- is the man for the job. The potential for The Wyatt Family is essentially limitless. Harper's already an absolute beast of a worker. Rowan's already solid and far from the worst guy on the roster. They have an amazing theme song. They have the best entrance. The audience cue they have is maybe the best "OH DAMN!" cue they've had since Austin's glass breaking. Bray's a damn good worker and is very much like Taker in that he wrestles so well as that character. And Bray's already the best interview in the WWE. His stuff is so layered and deep and mesmerizing. His character also doesn't need a title to be interesting. And the way a religious cult works, all he has to do is have his minions take people somehow or have his current followers attack someone straying from the flock for this stuff to work.

And here's the thing I've no doubt said 50 times on here by now -- Bray is 26-years-old. He's still a baby. He's already this good. WTF is this guy going to be like after he wrestles a bunch of house shows with Bryan and Punk and everyone else?

The Undertaker's the best character in WWE history. They ran so many things through him for decades. The guy can barely walk anymore and still have the biggest slot -- and deservedly so -- at WrestleMania. Bray legit has that potential, I think.

• Like 3

Just finished watching the Smackdown tag and that was some great wrestling TV. I almost felt disappointed that the Uso's and Goldust weren't in the final section mixing it up with the Wyatts more, but then I realised that essentially I'm asking the match to be over an hour and a half long. I found it interesting that Rowan was in for most of the last tag, and I thought he did great too. Looked good on offense against Rey, sold really well, character stuff was spot on. Loved Harper holding the back of his head to calm him after one of the Shield tagged in. Harper standing in the ring like a gatekeeper as everyone mugged Rey was awesome, as was him staring down Reigns immediately afterwards. That dude gets it. Is Goldust actually in the best physical shape of his career? He's leaner than he was when he was The Natural, but all the better for it. He's top five in the company for sure and possibly in the top two with Bryan. Great, great match.