DVDVR Message Board

RIP DEAN RASMUSSEN

RIPPA

I haven't been on here in a really long time, but the news got me thinking about this board again. I didn't have a lot of interactions with DEAN, but I always loved reading his reviews because of his writing style. Reading some of those reviews again after I got the news brought back so many memories of my formative years as a teenage wrestling fan and being exposed to those reviews and to things like 80s and 90s New Japan and All Japan, and BattlARTS and countless other promotions and matches I would have likely not seen otherwise. His writing style and reviews influenced not only me, but others whose reviews and websites also had a profound influence on me. There won't be anyone like him ever again, he had such a wide, sweeping impact on wrestling and by all accounts he was a great fucking dude. Rest well.

• Like 5

I just sent his daughter a quick note on the reddit thread to give my condolences, and I gotta say, it made me smile to see some of the young ones popping in going 'I don't know who this DEAN character was, but he seems *really* important - sorry for your loss' - I like to think he's getting a kick out of that somewhere

• Like 8

I am having a hard time watching wrestling. I am sure I will start again in a week or two. But aside from a video popping up because of an algorithm on YouTube, I just don’t have any interest right now. And it is because Dean passed because part of why I watched wrestling really was to see his reactions.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Greggulator said:

I am having a hard time watching wrestling. I am sure I will start again in a week or two. But aside from a video popping up because of an algorithm on YouTube, I just don’t have any interest right now. And it is because Dean passed because part of why I watched wrestling really was to see his reactions.

I'm really glad you said this Gregg - I haven't watched a single match yet either, and was feeling kinda weird about it A) because obviously so many were so much closer with him than I, and B) I'm (almost) certain if we Ouija'ed him right now he'd tell us to cut the shit... and FWIW, I am DREADING that Dynamite thread tomorrow without his wall o' text. It's interesting - it's a very distinctly modern type of grief to lose someone you've interacted with semi-daily for ~20 years but never physically met. Outside of that Bret post in the main thread yesterday ('cause I figured we could all use a laugh - I'm one of those weirdos who has to joke to cope) I've been kinda struggling for words here in general- which, part of is intentional, since the last thing i'd wanna do is strike the wrong tone at the wrong time - but my Inbox is always open to you (and all) as usual.

• Like 4

On 5/7/2023 at 3:55 PM, RIPPA said:

I don't think this has been posted on this board (I don't see it and honestly I don't have the energy to check

https://everloved.com/life-of/dean-rasmussen/funeral/#706705ff-6ca3-4244-96c6-6fdc00f908ee

That is the memorial page for Dean - it includes his obit

H/T to Kris Zellner for making me aware of it

Gotta say I love the idea of planting some trees in his memory. Maybe we pool our resources... one tree for each Fist in the Face of Wrestling.

• Like 12

1 hour ago, SirFozzie said:

Maybe we should do our own Dean style review to honor him.

I thought about it, I have occasionally mirrored the style without consciously realizing it. What I decided to try was to find something to like in everything and focus on that in my reviews.

• Like 6

The other thing I was thinking about to honor dean is a thread (either in Wrestling or general)..

Titled: "What Rules the Fucking Universe?".

Where we can all come and talk about things, that well, we think rule the fucking universe.

No negativity. Just sharing the fun things we enjoy and hoping others enjoy it too.

• Like 11

1 hour ago, SirFozzie said:

I know when I was doing the Secret Santo reviews I definitely made a conscious effort to do the DEAN~! Stream of Consciousness style review. We all should do walls of text in honor.

• Like 2

One thing that hasn't been mentioned here is Dean was unique in the online fan world in that he really only cared about the in-ring.  "You gotta watch the matches, daddy" was something he would always say.  He seemed a bit perplexed (and this was 20 years ago even) that fans spent so much time & energy caring, reading about, discussing, and analyzing backstage news or even business trends/#'s.  He cared about the matches themselves, did you entertain him in the ring.  He could have cared less about meeting a wrestler, getting an autograph, whether anything popped a rating, whatever.  There was something so refreshing pure about his approach.

Edited by TimWresPowr
  • Like 16
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, SirFozzie said:

I started reading some of Dean's old reviews in the DVDVRs and it inspired me to start writing some reviews. Whether or not it will stick is another question but I wrote up reviews of a couple matches last night and really had a lot of fun. Might do a few more tonight.

But I agree, a Dean DVDVR tribute issue, an ongoing thread reviewing his favorite matches or whatever would be really cool. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, writeradam84 said:

I started reading some of Dean's old reviews in the DVDVRs and it inspired me to start writing some reviews. Whether or not it will stick is another question but I wrote up reviews of a couple matches last night and really had a lot of fun. Might do a few more tonight.

But I agree, a Dean DVDVR tribute issue, an ongoing thread reviewing his favorite matches or whatever would be really cool. 

Hear me out.......The DEAN Memorial Greatest Three Way Matches Of All Time Thread. 😀

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

This breaks my heart! May he rest in peace. I loved his reviews, his passion was so endearing. The majority of my contributions to this site is just uploading matches for the internet match threads and it was mostly because I wanted to see his thoughts on them.

Edited by Dead Magic
  • Like 4

On 5/9/2023 at 10:53 AM, Greggulator said:

You know, I've been the opposite.  I've been pretty down on wrestling recently but everyone talking about Dean and his joy for wrestling has made me remember what I enjoy about it.

I was also recently reminded of a Dean-ism that I love but had forgotten: "Crying manly tears."  That sonofagun had a way with words.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Zimbra said:

You know, I've been the opposite.  I've been pretty down on wrestling recently but everyone talking about Dean and his joy for wrestling has made me remember what I enjoy about it.

I was also recently reminded of a Dean-ism that I love but had forgotten: "Crying manly tears."  That sonofagun had a way with words.

I'm in the same boat. This thread brought joy to my heart just seeing us reminisce about DEAN~! and it got me to sit down and watch some New Japan the other day because if the big guy was gonna sit in front of his laptop and engage with as much pro wrestling as he could while he was with us, I should be able to do the same and consider it a life well lived. 

• Like 5