DVDVR Message Board

RIP DEAN RASMUSSEN

RIPPA

I suspect there will be a lot of unforced ‘waits patiently to see what DEAN thought of this fucking banger’ upcoming

Maybe a tech wizard can override the active users list so DEAN is always home

• Like 8

Wait, so, slight derail, but someone help me with this:  There was Tony Khan, who apparently posted as "Coach Tony K" or something, but wasn't there also a "Tony K Nelson" at some point?  Or was that also him or an earlier name?  Does anyone remember that and know for certain??

Edited by Contentious C

After Wrestling Power finished its run, Dean and another Richmond friend of his did a public access show called "Fatboy & Steve's Wonderful & Frightening World of Art", so this would be late 2001 or maybe into 2002.  I think it only went maybe 3 episodes.  They did show wrestling matches.

Anyway, I found the one disc of it that I have and I uploaded it here:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1tQVCjdiw5EJd1fSfSztV2Tf4lqT5zFH-/view?usp=sharing

• Like 7

26 minutes ago, TimWresPowr said:

After Wrestling Power finished its run, Dean and another Richmond friend of his did a public access show called "Fatboy & Steve's Wonderful & Frightening World of Art", so this would be late 2001 or maybe into 2002.  I think it only went maybe 3 episodes.  They did show wrestling matches.

Anyway, I found the one disc of it that I have and I uploaded it here:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1tQVCjdiw5EJd1fSfSztV2Tf4lqT5zFH-/view?usp=sharing

Whatever happened to Cowboy Wayne? Is he still around?

Dean's sublime writing style, unique observations, brilliant extrapolations, glorious gonzo tangents, and overall joie de vivre are something I'll always cherish. My thoughts and prayers are with his loved ones. RIP~!

• Like 7

52 minutes ago, J.T. said:

I always wondered what happened to Cowboy Wayne and Punisher Tommy Rose.  I always figured I'd see them around the RVA, but I never did.

They are both still around.  Wayne has lived in Highland Springs all his life.  Tommy I think delivers wine or something.  I haven't seen him hardly since the show.  He is SHREDDED now and has a long beard, you literally may not recognize him.

• Like 5

I hadn't been on this forum for a couple days and saw the terrible news on Reddit, which just shows how many lives DEAN touched. I've been on DVDVR in some form or another for two decades, even when I stopped watching wrestling I would keep up with WWE just to see what DEAN and others had to say about it. RIP DEAN, may this wonderful message board continue on in your memory.

• Like 8

Bryan saying "Ras-muss-en" is just a Bryan thing, right? or was I wrong all along thinking it was "Ras-moo-sen"? (the latter is the only pronunciation I heard from others)

It's not quite like the time in college when I heard Chavez with a hard Ch after hearing it said like "Shah-vez" (in reference to Julio Cesar Chavez) but.

Another thing I noticed using the Archive.org is that we're close to the 20 year anniversary of using Invision for this board. If that anniversary hasn't already come.

3 hours ago, Cobra Commander said:

Bryan saying "Ras-muss-en" is just a Bryan thing, right? or was I wrong all along thinking it was "Ras-moo-sen"? (the latter is the only pronunciation I heard from others)

It's not quite like the time in college when I heard Chavez with a hard Ch after hearing it said like "Shah-vez" (in reference to Julio Cesar Chavez) but.

Another thing I noticed using the Archive.org is that we're close to the 20 year anniversary of using Invision for this board. If that anniversary hasn't already come.

I could've sworn when he shook my hand at the NWA show that he said, "Ras-mew-sen", just to make it more complicated.  But that's been 20+ years, and the latter pronunciation you included certainly aligns with my faulty memory more than the former.  I remembered it in part because I was expecting the first pronunciation and he threw me a damn curveball like that.  I kinda wanted to punch Alvarez in the wiener for saying it the way he did.  Unless he and DEAN had some kind of long-standing in-joke, in which case I'm sure there are other reasons to want to punch him in the wiener.

• Like 3

I thought it was Ras Mussin' myself (like the old Nuggets center Blair) until a little while back when I heard I heard Phil pronounce it. I double-checked to make sure it wasn't a rib, and yes, the pronunciation is Ras-moose-en...

Dean's review of Jumbo Tsuruta v. Greg Gagne remains one those amazingly weird quasi-fictional things that after you read it you feel his appreciation for everyone involved in the match.

Then you read his Aja Kong/Sugar Sato review, written as Southern White Trash Gothic and his comedic genius just leaves you breathless

In the end, we are a motley band who were brought together by DEAN in a round about way. As much as we like pro-wrestling, he genuinely LOVED it and his writings are his love letters to the medium and to us.

James

Edited by J.H.
  • Like 12

21 hours ago, Johnny Sorrow said:

The Sleaze Thread created Reddit. 😀

16 hours ago, J.T. said:

I firmly believe this.

Probably. Hell, if you put 'dvdvr' into Google, its second suggestion is 'dvdvr sleaze'. Some things can't be escaped.

• Haha 1

Sorry to intrude - haven't really posted much the last few years - but saw this on Twitter and got teary eyed. As someone who's been talking on the message board bullshit for rasslin and music since the late 90s, Dean was always memorable for being that rare mod-type that was a total sweetheart, actually knew what he was talking about more than you did, and was always down for a conversation, even with some rando like me. I cried. This is a sacred community - I love how it gets regarded as wrestling hipsters - and all the best to everyone here. Dean fuckin ruled.

Edited by bink_winkleman
grammar, clarity, etc
  • Like 16

I think it's SO cool that Dean's passing not only has brought many long-time lurkers out of the woodwork but also numerous past regulars who just haven't posted or been around in awhile. It's cliché but it REALLY speaks to the long-term impact that he had on so many people's lives. 

• Like 13

So I’m way behind on AEW and just barely now saw the Kenny Omega v. Vikingo match. I went back to see the thread for that Dynamite and was greeted by a Dean random ass tweet about Takeshita doing a sheer drop brainbuster through a table and of course his genius description of the whole show and main event. Made me tear up. I’m gonna miss these, but at least since I’m like 6 weeks behind I got a few left to surprise me.

• Like 10

I don't think this has been posted on this board (I don't see it and honestly I don't have the energy to check

https://everloved.com/life-of/dean-rasmussen/funeral/#706705ff-6ca3-4244-96c6-6fdc00f908ee

That is the memorial page for Dean - it includes his obit

H/T to Kris Zellner for making me aware of it

• Like 13
  • Thanks 9

20 hours ago, J.H. said:

Dean's review of Jumbo Tsuruta v. Greg Gagne remains one those amazingly weird quasi-fictional things that after you read it you feel his appreciation for everyone involved in the match.

Then you read his Aja Kong/Sugar Sato review, written as Southern White Trash Gothic and his comedic genius just leaves you breathless

In the end, we are a motley band who were brought together by DEAN in a round about way. As much as we like pro-wrestling, he genuinely LOVED it and his writings are his love letters to the medium and to us.

James

Do you off-hand know what issues those reviews are from? I’m not sure I remember reading those ones

9 minutes ago, elizium said:

Do you off-hand know what issues those reviews are from? I’m not sure I remember reading those ones

Or additionally, a site set-up that doesn't constantly get flagged as problematic by anti-virus software.  Bitdefender HATES this place.

I just learned of Dean's passing today and am so sad.  I hadn't seen Dean for many years but greatly enjoyed reading his AEW show recaps each week.  I attended a few shows with Dean, Phil, Tom and other great fellows in the 2000s, including a Manassas, VA, ROH show in 2008 that is recapped on Segunda Caida.  Dean was a hilarious and prolific writer who never failed to make me smile if not laugh when reading his enthusiastic prose.  My thoughts are with his family and friends.  Take care all.  --Lee

• Like 5

3 hours ago, RIPPA said:

I don't think this has been posted on this board (I don't see it and honestly I don't have the energy to check

https://everloved.com/life-of/dean-rasmussen/funeral/#706705ff-6ca3-4244-96c6-6fdc00f908ee

That is the memorial page for Dean - it includes his obit

"He also loved football, in particular the Dallas Cowboys, whom he loved so dearly he named his dog and oldest daughter after players"

I went to the Charles Haley Wikipedia page, and then eventually figured out that I was thinking of Nate Newton as the Cowboy who was busted for hauling 200 pounds of pot. Oops.

Also, major Political Science, minor painting/printmaking. Those Comix were kinda-sorta putting that degree to use.

• Like 5