DVDVR Message Board

May 2023 Wrestling Talk

2 minutes ago, Dolphman 3000 said:

HHH vs. Shawn was rumored for WrestleMania 17 but didn't happen because Shawn was still on drugs, so I'm guessing he got clean sometime after that which is when he gained the weight

Shawn looked in decent shape in 2000 when he did that TWA match with Paul Diamond

Yeah, I recall something like that but I wasn't sure how accurate that was so I didn't mention it. But yes, the timeline certainly seems to add up.

19 minutes ago, Shartnado said:

Yeah, I recall something like that but I wasn't sure how accurate that was so I didn't mention it. But yes, the timeline certainly seems to add up.

Bruce also said Shawn had short hair when he went down to visit him in Texas, and when Shawn joined the nWo in June 2002 it looked like he was just starting to grow it back. By SummerSlam he had long hair again.

• Like 1

On 5/20/2023 at 2:05 AM, Cobra Commander said:

Greg Valentine's a guy whose stock has gone up once people started drifting away from "Movezzzzz" to appreciating dudes that hit each other hard? at least Greg Valentine from the eras when he seemed to give more of a fuck. There's probably nothing that can save most Valentine matches after a point.

Hopefully people will start to view Ronnie Garvin in the same light instead of complaining about how he shouldn't have been champion. 

• Like 4

Ronnie has 10 years or so on most of the old guys we talk about. For a guy to be as good enough as he was through the years is impressive. When I learned how old he was I didn’t judge him. He was probably a good worker at 1 time and in any event he was always over even if the championship didn’t work out. 

Also Rick Martell was never what I’d call bad. He just wasn’t pushed storylinewise and stuff. Then when he came back in 1998 the storyline push he got was basically “this is that guy that was in the WWF forever with no storylIne” lol! He was still pretty good then really and it was cool seeing him show up looking like this regular guy with short hair and a smile lol! He seemed to enjoy in when he came back. It’s to bad he got hurt. 

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, BloodyChamp said:

Also Rick Martell was never what I’d call bad. He just wasn’t pushed storylinewise and stuff. Then when he came back in 1998 the storyline push he got was basically “this is that guy that was in the WWF forever with no storylIne” lol! He was still pretty good then really and it was cool seeing him show up looking like this regular guy with short hair and a smile lol! He seemed to enjoy in when he came back. It’s to bad he got hurt.

I gotta think Vince regretted that the Strike Force breakup didn't generate any business, and The Rockers breaking up was him doing it over. Keeping Martel around for house shows and as an enhancement talent was more of a courtesy than anything.

I think Martel was one of those guys who had the great natural charisma of a heel out of the ring, but was not great in-ring as a heel, I don't think his control segments were that interesting, whereas he was really good as a babyface in the way he sold, and timed his comebacks well. 

I really hated his matches on Coliseum Videos which from memory were just using his Crab finish as a rest hold forever that revolved around the drama or lack thereof of whether or not the face would make it to the ropes. 

• Like 4

50 minutes ago, GuerrillaMonsoon said:

I think Martel was one of those guys who had the great natural charisma of a heel out of the ring, but was not great in-ring as a heel, I don't think his control segments were that interesting, whereas he was really good as a babyface in the way he sold, and timed his comebacks well. 

I really hated his matches on Coliseum Videos which from memory were just using his Crab finish as a rest hold forever that revolved around the drama or lack thereof of whether or not the face would make it to the ropes. 

I liked the pairing of Martel and Slick. I feel like they were split too soon. 

• Like 5

30 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

A 1977-78 Valentine v Garvin feud would have been amazing. 

15 minutes of them punching and kicking the shit out of each other, with some arm wringers and hammerlocks thrown in. It would be glorious.

I was watching this Garvin vs. Les Thornton match earlier today from mid-1984 Georgia; it’s essentially built around repeated/prolonged cravat holds from Garvin and it kicks ass.

• Like 1

On 5/19/2023 at 2:17 PM, Greggulator said:

Hey guys! I need some help making a moveset for one of my e-fed characters. 

What I'm looking for: My character is a hyper athletic babyface. Think of Shelton Benjamin/Montez Ford/etc. (But white.) 

But he also has a love of old-school wrestling. I want to combine some old-school 80s stuff in combos that lead to him using state-of-the-art stuff. 

Example: He does a footstomp into a standing dropkick that send his opponent to the floor into some crazy dive to the floor. 

Example: Atomic Drop where his opponent bounces off the ropes into a Cartwheel Death Valley Driver and then into a springboard kick. 

Looking for combos that could start with a bionic elbow, monkey flip, backrake, ramming someone's head into the turnbuckle a bunch of times, etc. 

Thx! 

Maybe Airplane Spin into You Can't Escape?

Monkey Flip, Kip-Up, hit the ropes, Tito Santana-style Flying Forearm?

Superplex into Three Amigos?

• Like 1

13 hours ago, odessasteps said:

You say that as if those two didn't do everything they could to make their 89/90 feud as entertaining as possible, even if they built it all around counters that totally relied on Wrestling Logic.

But yeah, then fueding in their primes instead of their "Paycheck from Vince" era would've been great.

18 minutes ago, tbarrie said:

Would they climb back up to the top rope between suplexes?

I don't think so - more so float over into it.  Maybe finish with the Falcon Arrow like Seth Rollins.

1 hour ago, Marcel said:

Maybe Airplane Spin into You Can't Escape?

Monkey Flip, Kip-Up, hit the ropes, Tito Santana-style Flying Forearm?

Superplex into Three Amigos?

Oh, I like that a lot. 

I had another character I used years ago who did a Superplex and popped up over the guy into some kind of submission clutch. In e-feds, you can just like make up a submission clutch pretty much. 

Here are some new combos I came up with/lifted from you guys:

1) Airplane Spin into Samoan Drop into Standing Moonsault

2) Running Kneelift into Ab Stretch into Standing Spanish Fly

3) Bionic Elbow forces opponent into the corner into Muta's tumbling run elbow into Bandido's Moonsault Bodypress

And my finishing combo: Backrake (that makes the opponent stand up rigid straight due to the intense pain) into an inside cradle roll-through turned into a buckle bomb into a Helluva Kick into the Skull-Crushing Finale (which is named Sunset Boulevard -- my character was a struggling jobber who fell prey to a forgotten female manager from yore ala the movie, but they're faces now.) 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Raziel said:

You say that as if those two didn't do everything they could to make their 89/90 feud as entertaining as possible, even if they built it all around counters that totally relied on Wrestling Logic.

But yeah, then fueding in their primes instead of their "Paycheck from Vince" era would've been great.

Their submission match was god awful, though, but that was more due to the booking than their skill.  The whole idea that a submission only bout was just so foreign that these two veterans just could not wrap their heads around it and kept going for pins was absolute dog shit.

I don't know exactly how old Garvin was in 1987 I know he was aging but him and Flair beat the SHIT out of each other in their series of matches and I could not care less about what people felt Garvin's position on the card should be.  Those matches are awesome.  Meltzer at the time underrated the hell out of them too. 

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

I don't know exactly how old Garvin was in 1987 I know he was aging but him and Flair beat the SHIT out of each other in their series of matches and I could not care less about what people felt Garvin's position on the card should be.  Those matches are awesome.  Meltzer at the time underrated the hell out of them too. 

Early 40s (born in 1945

1 hour ago, Technico Support said:

Their submission match was god awful, though, but that was more due to the booking than their skill.  The whole idea that a submission only bout was just so foreign that these two veterans just could not wrap their heads around it and kept going for pins was absolute dog shit.

Counterpoint: WWF fans hadn't seen a submission match in years so it was helpful to have spots to establish what that stipulation meant to fans who hadn't seen one. The commentators did a fine job of explaining why Garvin and Valentine were going for pins (IIRC, they said it was instinct for a wrestler to do that). Also, they hit each other very hard in safe places for like fifteen minutes and I always have time for that.

• Like 6

23 hours ago, odessasteps said:

My next hot take that way fewer people will agree with is that Garvin/Valentine at the 1990 Rumble is one of the greatest WWE matches that no one ever talks about.

16 minutes ago, SirSmUgly said:

My next hot take that way fewer people will agree with is that Garvin/Valentine at the 1990 Rumble is one of the greatest WWE matches that no one ever talks about.

I'm not much of a match ranker or rater but I do enjoy that one. Really, anything that involves two folks just clubbing each other is fine by me.

• Like 1