DVDVR Message Board

May 2023 Wrestling Talk

Hey guys! I need some help making a moveset for one of my e-fed characters. 

What I'm looking for: My character is a hyper athletic babyface. Think of Shelton Benjamin/Montez Ford/etc. (But white.) 

But he also has a love of old-school wrestling. I want to combine some old-school 80s stuff in combos that lead to him using state-of-the-art stuff. 

Example: He does a footstomp into a standing dropkick that send his opponent to the floor into some crazy dive to the floor. 

Example: Atomic Drop where his opponent bounces off the ropes into a Cartwheel Death Valley Driver and then into a springboard kick. 

Looking for combos that could start with a bionic elbow, monkey flip, backrake, ramming someone's head into the turnbuckle a bunch of times, etc. 

Thx! 

9 minutes ago, Greggulator said:

What I'm looking for: My character is a hyper athletic babyface. Think of Shelton Benjamin/Montez Ford/etc. (But white.) 

But he also has a love of old-school wrestling. I want to combine some old-school 80s stuff in combos that lead to him using state-of-the-art stuff. 

Example: He does a footstomp into a standing dropkick that send his opponent to the floor into some crazy dive to the floor. 

Example: Atomic Drop where his opponent bounces off the ropes into a Cartwheel Death Valley Driver and then into a springboard kick. 

Looking for combos that could start with a bionic elbow, monkey flip, backrake, ramming someone's head into the turnbuckle a bunch of times, etc. 

Thx! 

Monkey flip, but instead of sending the guy over your head flip him straight up so he comes back down on your knees like a backstabber.

56 minutes ago, Greggulator said:

Thx! 

I'd argue that the old giant swing into sharpshooter combo Claudio did during his time in WWE might qualify here

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Greggulator said:

Also try the other way - as many flippy/rope —> basic combos; like a springboard somersault into a cravat hold, or rolling thunder into a stump puller.

Recency bias be damned. I nominate the match on Mid Atlantic TV with Jack Brisco from July 1982. Half show long angle/half great match.

I seen some stuff from Portland and LA not too along, but is there in anything from Piper's younger days in those two particular territories I should go out of my way to see?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Recency bias be damned. I nominate the match on Mid Atlantic TV with Jack Brisco from July 1982. Half show long angle/half great match.

I seen some stuff from Portland and LA not too along, but is there in anything from Piper's younger days in those two particular territories I should go out of my way to see?

Piper vs Chavo 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Greggulator said:

Thx! 

Old tyme move into hot modern move combos?  

Reverse atomic drop into a shiranui.

Ear ringer into a Canadian Destroyer.

5 hours ago, Greggulator said:

Thx! 

Abdominal Stretch into a Spanish Fly

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, odessasteps said:

Piper vs Chavo 

i wish there was video footage of Piper playing the Mexican national anthem La Cucaracha on the bagpipes. I think he told that story on his WWE dvd and it made me want to see it BAD.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

I nominate the match on Mid Atlantic TV with Jack Brisco from July 1982. Half show long angle/half great match.

Ooooooooo, I LOVE that one. Piper going amateur with Jack frickin' Brisco when you completely don't expect it. Just rad all the way around. 

I've got the Portland set but don't think I made it through the first disc... still. I blame it on every match being 2/3 falls and thus seriously long. 

• Like 1

reading 1977 results on TheHistoryOfWWE and saw this

San Juan, Puerto Rico – Roberto Clemente Stadium – September 23, 1977
Andre the Giant defeated Gorilla Monsoon (w/ Hugo Savinovich) via TKO in a boxing match following a right hand punch; Joe Walcott was the special referee for the bout 

this match is on a few releases, but gotta love that that the choice for special guest referee is "guy who helped fuck up Ali/Liston 2"...

Walcott was also the Chair of the New Jersey State Athletic Commission, if you're wondering how he got a trip to Puerto Rico to work with someone who did business with the New Jersey Commission.

• Like 2

I haven’t seen the WM match but I’m not shocked about that hot take considering what I know about this sport that I’ve followed for forever. I’ve heard the story about what made the match great/taboo a million times. It’s on my list of darkhorses to check out. 

I haven’t seen the Ric Flair brawl with the drop kick either but IIRC I saw a 10 minute or so highlight reel of it on YouTube. That looked like one of Flair’s best matches even. 

I’ve seen the Dog Collar match but I need to rewatch it. I seen it as a bloodthirsty 90s fan and was underwhelmed. 

• Like 1

Greg Valentine's a guy whose stock has gone up once people started drifting away from "Movezzzzz" to appreciating dudes that hit each other hard? at least Greg Valentine from the eras when he seemed to give more of a fuck. There's probably nothing that can save most Valentine matches after a point.

• Like 3