DVDVR Message Board

May 2023 Wrestling Talk

8 hours ago, SirSmUgly said:

Vince Russo? Is that you? 

BRRROOOO! What tha fuck is Sailah Moon bro? Nobody's gonna want to watch her bro, she can't even speak american!

Edited by BrianS81177
  • Haha 5

On 5/12/2023 at 11:22 AM, Cobra Commander said:

“Bro bro bro, she’s cornhole Charlotte now bro”

Man, we always called that shit 'Bags' when I was a kid. People calling it something more oftenly affiliated with your anus is just bizarre to me.

My neighbor also had soup cans dug into the ground and we threw washers into them... which of course, was just called Washers.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Curt McGirt said:

Man, we always called that shit 'Bags' when I was a kid. People calling it something more oftenly affiliated with your anus is just bizarre to me.

My neighbor also had soup cans dug into the ground and we threw washers into them... which of course, was just called Washers.

A number of years ago I was driving around very rural SW Ohio and kept passing farms with signs that said “CORNHOLE HERE” and I was very confused.

Oddly, in Ohio when I was a kid they had the version of washers with boards like bags/cornhole and it was called Texas horseshoes.

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, JLowe said:

A number of years ago I was driving around very rural SW Ohio and kept passing farms with signs that said “CORNHOLE HERE” and I was very confused.

Oddly, in Ohio when I was a kid they had the version of washers with boards like bags/cornhole and it was called Texas horseshoes.

But Texas horseshoes is just horseshoes!?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Bocce and shuffleboard have both been unfairly stigmatized as Old People Shit but are fun as hell.

E: Croquet, too, but I think the need for a large, flat, mowed area makes it impractical for a lot of people.

Edited by Zimbra
  • Like 3

just wait until Dominos becomes a bigger deal due to people immigrating to America from various Spanish-speaking countries

Also, Pickleball is a game that has sorta crossed over from Old People Sport to hipster sport, so just wait for hipsters to decide that shuffleboard is close enough to Curling to become the new thing

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Cobra Commander said:

just wait until Dominos becomes a bigger deal due to people immigrating to America from various Spanish-speaking countries

Also, Pickleball is a game that has sorta crossed over from Old People Sport to hipster sport, so just wait for hipsters to decide that shuffleboard is close enough to Curling to become the new thing

Curling is fun as fuck to play 

27 minutes ago, Johnny Sorrow said:

Matt Hardy's twitter has been hacked and it's hilarious how long it's been going on. His wife has posted that he was hacked an hour ago, and the hilariously filthy and stupid posts keep coming. 

I can hear the Lazy Pun Police's entire precinct turning their sirens on.

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, Dolphman 3000 said:

30 years ago tonight was the first-ever show at ECW Arena

I was there. I loved those early ECW shows. It wasn't the same after they went to having PPV in different locations and the Arena shows were no longer the big show every three weeks.  It also became like Yogi said that no one goes there anymore because it is too crowded.

• Like 2

On 5/13/2023 at 12:57 PM, Curt McGirt said:

https://media.tenor.com/_Orq8MG8ZgkAAAAC/watch-out-for-your-corn-hole.gif

• Haha 1

Does anybody have a link off the top of their head to Ray Stevens doing his turnbuckle flip thing? I’ve never seen it or a match of his and his name has came up twice in my reading today, and both times it reminded of what Flair said about him many times. 

20 minutes ago, BloodyChamp said:

Does anybody have a link off the top of their head to Ray Stevens doing his turnbuckle flip thing? I’ve never seen it or a match of his and his name has came up twice in my reading today, and both times it reminded of what Flair said about him many times. 

There’s no footage that shows why Stevens was special. There are a couple of good tags with Snuka vs Steamboat/Youngblood but almost all other Stevens footage is disappointing. His partners, Patterson and Bockwinkel, were both exceptional into the 80s and even not in their physical primes you can see so much of what made them special. With Stevens, you get the sense that it was purely the athleticism and that it took such a toll on his body that there’s nothing worth seeing in the ruin that made it to the era of footage. There is absolutely no evidence in existence of whatever Flair and Dave saw in him. Zero.

• Like 3

Can we talk about the best "gimmicky" gimmicks on the indies? 

In the wake of Orange Cassidy getting over on a national scale, could Dan the Dad work on a national level? Coz he got to tour Japan.  Hoodslam has some gimmicks that really only work in context, but P.O.N.G. the pissed off nerdy gamer is glorious.

Whatcha got from your local feds?

A gimmick's only as good as the guy doing it. Orange Cassidy works because the person playing Orange Cassidy is a top-5-in-the-world-worker (or he's become one, anyway).

Edited by Dog
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Flair says he stole the turnbuckle flip things he does from Ray, but that he didn’t even do it as good because of his back. And a few other people have talked about him doing some flip.

I did find a match today that was pretty good I thought. Him vs a young Curt Hennig. 

8 hours ago, Dog said:

A gimmick's only as good as the guy doing it. Orange Cassidy works because the person playing Orange Cassidy is a top-5-in-the-world-worker (or he's become one, anyway).

I'm pre-emptively quoting this for TRUTH. Anyone arguing/disagreeing has not watched nearly enough of this awesome Int'l Title reign. OC is running out of stuff he *can't* do IMO.

• Like 4