DVDVR Message Board

May 2023 Wrestling Talk

17 hours ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

To elaborate a bit further so it's not just a hit and run insult post, WBD just locked them into an exclusive deal to where they can't even post You Tube shows anymore. The sky is not falling. WBD must be very happy to be partners with them. No, those numbers aren't great.

Actually, they are great. Just not as great as they were. People seem to have a hard time understanding that when your ratings start SO MUCH HIGHER than the rest of cable, you can drop some and still be MUCH HIGHER than the rest of cable. In WBD's eyes, all AEW's done is gone from "absolute world-beater" to "clear-cut winner."

• Like 6

3 hours ago, Raziel said:

It got to a point in WCW where Schivone straight up referenced it as something the Center Stage crowd did for Tag Matches (I still only recall it being a Scorp/Bagwell thing).  Scorp did end up using it during his ECW/Indy run in 94/95 before he went to WWF.

Yeah from the Saturday Night rewatch on the network, the crowd does the Whoop There It Is chant for their matches and I'm pretty sure for some Scorpio singles matches too.

The people who run TBS and TNT have made the clear decision to go all in (pun sort intended) in sports. Real and fake. Had ONE FC and Power Slap been successful, we would have been seeing that all across their airwaves. 

Through two games (first one on TNT but last night's game was on ESPN), the Lakers vs. Warriors series is averaging over 7.3 million viewers. Not the peak...averaging that. We ain't even at the conference finals yet. Obviously, it's two franchises that are popular with two well known superstars. However, that's well above what the NBA has been doing. They've been hovering probably around 1.3-2 million for most of the season.

That's great for ESPN, but they have many other original programs that do just fine. TBS/TNT has hopped out of not just the scripted programming game (what happened to "We Know Drama"?) but pretty much hopped out of original programming all together. They have 1 or 2 reality shows but they don't bring any additional audience. By saying you're just going to build around basketball (not year round), baseball (also not year round), hockey (guess what...also not year round), one off annual events like The Match, and a few other sports rights ventures, you have basically said anything we get past playoff sports is gravy. AEW is that brown gravy cause WBD opted out on building their other stations in favor of making HBO and that umbrella the only destination for their scripted programming (in addition to new movies that were just in theaters, which to be fair was always a staple of HBO). They have basically told you if you're not a sports fan, don't even stay on TBS or TNT. You can pretty much find American Dad and Family Guy and most their other programming elsewhere or subscribe to Max.

Therefore, they have no other choice but to be ten toes down when it comes to AEW. They have nothing to replace it with that can be as successful and they have already invested in sports packages they could afford. More importantly, they have made no attempts to find additional programming to make either TBS or TNT a welcomed destination for casual or regular TV viewers. 

• Like 7

I do think there is reason to at least be concerned when it comes to Turner/WB as they've made some dramatic, almost baffling decisions in the past year in the interest of cutting costs no matter what. Like there are rumors they may be dropping the NBA when their contract is done to further cut down on expenses and the NBA is an institution on their channels (I literally cannot envision the league without Inside the NBA). I think it is almost certain that they would rather AEW stay on their networks... but there is probably no major Hollywood player I'd want to negotiate with less right now than them as if they think slashing something will save them a single nickel short term they'll probably do it. AEW's gonna want a notable increase in their rights fees and I think it is realistic to say that there is a solid chance that they are gonna have to choose between taking less to stay with Turner, or getting what they feel they are worth (and likely are) from someone else.

Zaslav has said that he wants to keep the NBA. Adam Silver is just going to split the rights further than he already has done, so there will be more competition.

Elsalvajeloco nailed it: Zaslav is disinterested in scripted programming for TNT and TBS. WB cancelled virtually all their scripted projects on those channels. They are all in on reality TV and sports, and pro wrestling is a fit for that approach.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I saw the rumor that they were looking at WWE, but IMO they wouldn't pay that hefty price tag that WWE is looking for. Not for potentially just one show. Moreover, on the WWE side, It would basically be another TNN situation where it becomes obvious WWE made a terrible, terrible decision by being on a station where they're being used to grow it and not the other way around. Plus, I don't see WWE putting up with all the moving around time slots that would be caused by sports. They already went through that with USA.

• Like 4

12 hours ago, Craig H said:

My hypothesis for the NHL playoffs being good and drawing good numbers this year is that the Lightning and Bruins both got eliminated in the first round because fuck both of them.

Nah it's because the Kraken are in it

9 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

I want to see the Panthers vs. Kraken.   Rats and squids. 

SEE?!?!

I was bored earlier when I was on the bus and I was thinking which wrestlers were babyfaces their whole career?

I can only think of Ricky Steamboat and Tito Santana.

Can anyone think of any others?

9 hours ago, username said:

I do think there is reason to at least be concerned when it comes to Turner/WB as they've made some dramatic, almost baffling decisions in the past year in the interest of cutting costs no matter what. Like there are rumors they may be dropping the NBA when their contract is done to further cut down on expenses and the NBA is an institution on their channels (I literally cannot envision the league without Inside the NBA). I think it is almost certain that they would rather AEW stay on their networks... but there is probably no major Hollywood player I'd want to negotiate with less right now than them as if they think slashing something will save them a single nickel short term they'll probably do it. AEW's gonna want a notable increase in their rights fees and I think it is realistic to say that there is a solid chance that they are gonna have to choose between taking less to stay with Turner, or getting what they feel they are worth (and likely are) from someone else.

At their earnings the other day, they discussed how HBO Max is now a profitable venture and how big that is for WBD moving forward.  They seem to be moving in the right direction and the cost cutting they've done has paid off.  I believe upfronts is in a week or so, we'll find out just how invested they are in AEW then but from everything I've read they are doubling down on it. They have Dynamite, they are keeping Rampage and they are adding the heavily rumored/confirmed CM Punk show on Saturday nights called "Collision." 

There's also rumors that they are going to be having AEW do business with Max.   Some have speculated that they may stream "ALL IN" on the platform.  I still think it will be a traditional PPV but the fact they have not announced how you can watch it yet leads me to believe some conversations are happening. 

41 minutes ago, Boydy said:

I was bored earlier when I was on the bus and I was thinking which wrestlers were babyfaces their whole career?

The only other people I can thing of are Bruno and Pedro, but I have no frame of reference if they worked heel outside of NY.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Boydy said:

has Rey Mysterio Jr. been a heel? 

2 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

There's also rumors that they are going to be having AEW do business with Max.   Some have speculated that they may stream "ALL IN" on the platform.  I still think it will be a traditional PPV but the fact they have not announced how you can watch it yet leads me to believe some conversations are happening.

Where there's smoke, there's fire. Double or Nothing is a traditional PPV. If they announced a Max deal starting with Forbidden Door (or All In) now, it may make people decide to skip Double or Nothing knowing the value and price point will be out dated. I definitely think there is something to them being on Max. But we'll have to wait until at least after this PPV to find out for sure. Seeing it reported that there is a new deal that has been signed (regarding You Tube streaming shows now being against the new contract terms) has me believing it's a done deal. PPVs will be on Max starting with All In. This way they aren't trying to get $80 out of the fan base in a single week with All In & All Out  7 days apart.

1 hour ago, SprintingFromAmerica said:

Only on DDTDigest.

Yeah, but the actual heel was DDTDigest.

It's great that the site is still up as part of a wider historical record of wrestling sites on the early internet, but the combination of casual homophobia and shitty wrestling takes give it true monster heel status.

Edited by SirSmUgly
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Boydy said:

I guess Sting can’t really count since he was a heel early in his career but for as long as he has been relatively famous he’s been a baby face (unless they tried to make him heel in Impact, I never saw his time there).

Sting was a heel in the UWF like mentioned, and he was a heel in 1999 in WCW. He was also a really freaking mad, out of touch, desperate for attention babyface in TNA IIRC. But not like cool mad where the crowd cheers. It was similar to Eddie’s heel turn in WCW, or Ric Flair more than once. The end result was siding with the heels or something but Idk. 

I don’t usually count the shortlived misses in the discussions but Sting had 3 so he counts IMO. 

11 minutes ago, For Great Justice said:

Was JYD ever a heel?

In Stampede, yeah, as Big Daddy Ritter. But not as JYD, I don't think.

• Like 1