DVDVR Message Board

May 2023 Wrestling Talk

27 minutes ago, Dog said:

Wait a second ... is it true that Bianca's Women's title reign is "resetting" back to zero because she went to Smackdown?

No one knows until we see how WWE treats it.

2 hours ago, joseph2112 said:

On this here Grumpy Old Men board (which I admit I am one), this years "Get Off My Lawn Kid" award goes to people being annoyed with fans singing along with entrance songs lol.

"We want hot crowds"

"... Not like that."

As for the history of sing-a-longs in WWE, I suppose the New Age Outlaws were the first prominent example, but that was an outlier and also more of a rhythmic catchphrase. You started to see it get really popular in glory days ROH with fans singing to the awesome (un)licensed songs there (Final Countdown leading the way). Like most things in modern wrestling, the ROH influence went mainstream as the top stars went to the national promotions and the fans that followed got their trends to catch on with the larger audience, like "this is awesome," cooperative dueling chants, etc. The Euro-invasion Mania crowds that peaked in the early 2010s took entrance-singing to the next level by getting Fandango's theme to undreamt of heights. I have to admit "John Cena sucks" to the opening bars of his theme had me rolling the first time I heard it. Once people realize it's a trend, themes start getting designed for more fan involvement.

775k in the week SD posts 2.5 mil. Who is asleep at the wheel of WBD, and how long until someone at the network figures out the house is burning and gives TK a polite knock on the door to punt Guevara and Perry straight out of Wembley arena and hire someone who can actually script a television show? Called the 700s as incoming in February but to get there in 10 weeks is overkill .. they've burnt 25% of the audience in a matter of months while the competition and their army of Vincels / dyed-in-the-wool Fox-viewers go from strength to absolute strength .. 

Bringing in another of the internet marks of the breed who thought Reigns retaining at WM would sink the Fed (reminder - SD just put up the strongest numbers this year without Roman even on the show) ain't going to fix the ship, uce. 

59 minutes ago, Go2Sleep said:

I have to admit "John Cena sucks" to the opening bars of his theme had me rolling the first time I heard it. Once people realize it's a trend, themes start getting designed for more fan involvement.

The first time the fans started chanting You Suck in time with Kurt Angle's WWF music, it was halfway through a video of him beating up Edge. They picked up the chant right towards the end of it, and Kurt had the sense to get them to replay the video immediately.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, AxB said:

The first time the fans started chanting You Suck in time with Kurt Angle's WWF music, it was halfway through a video of him beating up Edge. They picked up the chant right towards the end of it, and Kurt had the sense to get them to replay the video immediately.

"Kurt had the sense" is a phrase you can apply to any comedic segment than man was ever in. I'm legitimately shocked he never got a recurring gig on a sitcom or something.

Now I'm thinking about every sleazy indie singalong from ECW Arena's take on Camptown Ladies onward. I feel like I've got the memories of a lot of unique and stupid ones but they've all been displaces by lazy takes on Seven Nation Army or Bruce Channel. Something better than "Chris Hero ain't nothin to fuck with" will come to mind eventually.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Go2Sleep said:

As for the history of sing-a-longs in WWE, I suppose the New Age Outlaws were the first prominent example, but that was an outlier and also more of a rhythmic catchphrase.

Men on a Mission, but that was more call and response than singalong

Outlaws started the "everyone has a sting at the start of their theme" trend along with HIFF YA SMELL and the like. Flair having "Wooo!" added to the beginning of his theme still bothers me 20 years later.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, A_K said:

775k in the week SD posts 2.5 mil. Who is asleep at the wheel of WBD, and how long until someone at the network figures out the house is burning and gives TK a polite knock on the door to punt Guevara and Perry straight out of Wembley arena and hire someone who can actually script a television show? Called the 700s as incoming in February but to get there in 10 weeks is overkill .. they've burnt 25% of the audience in a matter of months while the competition and their army of Vincels / dyed-in-the-wool Fox-viewers go from strength to absolute strength

I'll bite.  While I agree that the whole Pillars thing has been a fail and nobody cares about it, AEW is currently facing the stiffest competition they have in a long time.  The NHL Playoffs are doing good numbers and the NBA Playoffs are doing the best numbers they've seen in YEARS.  So, I think there's other factors at play. If your reply is "but WWE did.."  listen SD! is doing great numbers but it's also on network TV.  People who are cord cutters aren't going to be watching sports on cable because they don't have cable. 

Also,  you say the sky is falling but is it really?  Forbidden Door sold out in a day.  Wembley Stadium has sold 50,000 tickets in three days.  They are about to do a MASSIVE gate at that show. The brand isn't suffering too badly.  They just need to tighten up some of these stories they are telling. 

• Like 9

On 5/1/2023 at 6:18 PM, SirSmUgly said:

Some of that is the acknowledgement that everything is a work from the wrestlers themselves, but then again, I can watch an episode of Succession and then watch Sarah Snook talk about what she thinks Siobhan's goals and needs are, and that doesn't bother me. So maybe that's not it, but what is the problem for me is that it comes through in the ring. I don't see Snook practicing her blocking when I watch an episode. I get the illusion that Shiv is Shiv, not someone pretending to be Shiv. This is a person deliberately distancing her husband from her because she doesn't understand how to trust someone enough to love them, not an actor pretending blah blah blah. 

Except when she tried to say Range Rover on one of the episodes, she was struggling with her accent there. 

22 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

I'll bite.  While I agree that the whole Pillars thing has been a fail and nobody cares about it, AEW is currently facing the stiffest competition they have in a long time.  The NHL Playoffs are doing good numbers and the NBA Playoffs are doing the best numbers they've seen in YEARS.  So, I think there's other factors at play. If your reply is "but WWE did.."  listen SD! is doing great numbers but it's also on network TV.  People who are cord cutters aren't going to be watching sports on cable because they don't have cable. 

Also,  you say the sky is falling but is it really?  Forbidden Door sold out in a day.  Wembley Stadium has sold 50,000 tickets in three days.  They are about to do a MASSIVE gate at that show. The brand isn't suffering too badly.  They just need to tighten up some of these stories they are telling. 

@Niners Fan in CT

You're a good man for taking the bait. When I see a post from @A_K, I just ignore it and keep on going. 

• Like 9

1 hour ago, Dolphman 3000 said:

Men on a Mission, but that was more call and response than singalong

Outlaws started the "everyone has a sting at the start of their theme" trend along with HIFF YA SMELL and the like. Flair having "Wooo!" added to the beginning of his theme still bothers me 20 years later.

The mid 2000s were terrible for catchphrases lazily being added to the front of theme songs. It definitely picked up in the attitude era because everyone wanted (or Vince wanted for everyone) that "shattering glass" pop, but kinda skipped over the fact the pop was for Austin, not the glass. I think it jumped the shark with Hardcore Holly getting "How do you like me now," Finlay getting "My name is Finlay and I love to fight," and finally Gregory Helms getting just literally a recording of himself saying "Gregory Helms."

I was looking for a the theme video of the last one (a rare youtube miss for wrestling themes), but here it is in a random match with Taker.

Edited by Go2Sleep
  • Like 3
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, John E. Dynamite said:

Gimme all the black kids in a Mid South studio crowd singing "Oops Up Side Your Head" or give me death airhorns.

What about everyone singing/chanting WHOOP THERE IT IS for 2 Cold and Bagwell in 93/94 WCW?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Infinit said:

What about everyone singing/chanting WHOOP THERE IT IS for 2 Cold and Bagwell in 93/94 WCW?

It wasn't just Scorp and Bagwell. I took my dad on a pilgrimage from Ohio to Memphis in 1993. He had more fun watching the fans than the wrestlers. 

During one match, everyone behind us suddenly exploded into the "Whoomp! There It is" chant.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, A_K said:

775k in the week SD posts 2.5 mil. Who is asleep at the wheel of WBD, and how long until someone at the network figures out the house is burning and gives TK a polite knock on the door to punt Guevara and Perry straight out of Wembley arena and hire someone who can actually script a television show? Called the 700s as incoming in February but to get there in 10 weeks is overkill .. they've burnt 25% of the audience in a matter of months while the competition and their army of Vincels / dyed-in-the-wool Fox-viewers go from strength to absolute strength .. 

Bringing in another of the internet marks of the breed who thought Reigns retaining at WM would sink the Fed (reminder - SD just put up the strongest numbers this year without Roman even on the show) ain't going to fix the ship, uce. 

You're an idiot.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 4

To elaborate a bit further so it's not just a hit and run insult post, WBD just locked them into an exclusive deal to where they can't even post You Tube shows anymore. The sky is not falling. WBD must be very happy to be partners with them. No, those numbers aren't great. And I even tend to agree that the 4 Pillars story is a big mess. But you need to stop with your non-stop hate mongering. You are the Tucker Carlson of this forum. No one likes you even when you make good points because you're fear mongering and being outlandish for the sake of your gimmick posts.

Read the room. You're the bottom of the barrel of wrestling discourse. Smackdown ratings are great. Raw is doing a bit better than they have been. And that's good for the business. WWE TV is not for me, but it doesn't make me mad that they're doing well. The more national companies doing well, the better it is for the wrestling business as a whole.

• Like 11

1 hour ago, Gorman said:

It wasn't just Scorp and Bagwell. I took my dad on a pilgrimage from Ohio to Memphis in 1993. He had more fun watching the fans than the wrestlers. 

During one match, everyone behind us suddenly exploded into the "Whoomp! There It is" chant.

For one solid year at least, that was a phenomenon. If you any way played into it, you were going to get that chant. Men on a Mission were the designated team in WWF to do that just like Scorpio and Bagwell in WCW. I also vaguely remember like Virgil or someone else getting those chants going as well.

When in Hustle and Flow came out, you were going to hear Whoop That Trick at damn near every major boxing event. That movie came out like two decades ago and folks in Memphis still do it at Grizzlies games.

If something catches fire, people are going to chant it or sing along with it.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Gorman said:

Of course they did. What would wrestling fans love more than chanting a line from a song by a group named Tag Team?

5 hours ago, Ramo2653 said:

Except when she tried to say Range Rover on one of the episodes, she was struggling with her accent there. 

She and McFadyen are usually so immaculate with their American accents that I find it hard to quibble too much. I can't remember that ep, but not surprised that an Aussie couldn't help but say ROVAH. 

Even then, it's like Booker speaking the King's English and then slipping into AAVE when caught by surprise. Not immersion breaking in either case! 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

For one solid year at least, that was a phenomenon. If you any way played into it, you were going to get that chant. Men on a Mission were the designated team in WWF to do that just like Scorpio and Bagwell in WCW. I also vaguely remember like Virgil or someone else getting those chants going as well.

When in Hustle and Flow came out, you were going to hear Whoop That Trick at damn near every major boxing event. That movie came out like two decades ago and folks in Memphis still do it at Grizzlies games.

If something catches fire, people are going to chant it or sing along with it.

I remember one crowd chanting "Whoop That Trick" during the Edge/Lita/Hardy run back in 2005

If "Whoomp There It Is" came out before early 1990, that would have definitely been one of the wrestler's theme song in WCW (maybe Ron Simmons, but then we miss out on "Don't Step To Ron"). 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, evidence said:

I remember one crowd chanting "Whoop That Trick" during the Edge/Lita/Hardy run back in 2005

If "Whoomp There It Is" came out before early 1990, that would have definitely been one of the wrestler's theme song in WCW (maybe Ron Simmons, but then we miss out on "Don't Step To Ron"). 

It got to a point in WCW where Schivone straight up referenced it as something the Center Stage crowd did for Tag Matches (I still only recall it being a Scorp/Bagwell thing).  Scorp did end up using it during his ECW/Indy run in 94/95 before he went to WWF.

• Like 2

My hypothesis for the NHL playoffs being good and drawing good numbers this year is that the Lightning and Bruins both got eliminated in the first round because fuck both of them.

• Like 1

On 5/2/2023 at 8:41 PM, Dolphman 3000 said:

I think it was a PROGRESS thing that started with their "Ohhhhhhhh Zack Sabre Jr." chant to Seven Nation Army

Sami Zayn's theme is just a rip-off of El Generico's Bouncing Souls theme that he had been using for years - and that was based on the "Ole!" soccer chant

So, to sum it up - Europeans and their dumb soccer chants

You wait for Wembley bro, we're gonna be so dumb and European.

• Like 3
  • Haha 6
  • Sad 1

29 minutes ago, Leonidas said:

You wait for Wembley bro, we're gonna be so dumb and European.

I'm begging you Brits to do chants that break MJF's spirit.  I know you lads can do it!

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Craig H said:

My hypothesis for the NHL playoffs being good and drawing good numbers this year is that the Lightning and Bruins both got eliminated in the first round because fuck both of them.

I want to see the Panthers vs. Kraken.   Rats and squids. 

• Like 1