DVDVR Message Board

AEW - MAY 2023

My personal vision of Naval Gazing (Gordi might have a slightly different concept) was a place where everyone could pontificate on the what ifs, why ifs, how abouts, and bullshit-ly speculate about the news in the monthly thread. But we hear the news and it becomes Bullshit-ly Speculation Central in monthly. 🤷‍♂️ I just want to know how much to avoid trying to read honestly. 

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, John from Cincinnati said:

Haus of Wrestling is reporting that Dave's Daily's Place rumour is bullshit, you're welcome. 

Hasn't Nick Hausman just been Punk's lapdog since Brawl Out - seems like anything positive about Punk comes from him

Edited by Dolphman 3000

6 minutes ago, JLowe said:

Has anyone even mentioned here about the video game finally getting a release date, or is that restricted to the Video Games folder?

Def got brought up there, but I think the trailer was posted in the media thread yesterday, too. Have a feeling its gonna be kinda bare-bones (which is fine for a first outing) but I'm still really looking forward to it. Even without all the bells and whistles like certain creation suites, I think it'll be a nice change of pace from the WWE2K series, which for some reason seems to have gone backwards with the last few entries since '19.

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, John from Cincinnati said:

Haus of Wrestling is reporting that Dave's Daily's Place rumour is bullshit, you're welcome. 

Pfft. That’s the same rumor from two days ago just corroborated by some Reg guy.

1 hour ago, Matt D said:

Pfft. That’s the same rumor from two days ago just corroborated by some Reg guy.

Come on, somebody backstage please bite someone. I got nothing to work with!

3 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

My personal vision of Naval Gazing (Gordi might have a slightly different concept) was a place where everyone could pontificate on the what ifs, why ifs, how abouts, and bullshit-ly speculate about the news in the monthly thread. But we hear the news and it becomes Bullshit-ly Speculation Central in monthly. 🤷‍♂️ I just want to know how much to avoid trying to read honestly. 

4 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Can we just take the last like fifteen pages and throw them in the Naval Gazing thread? Please?

Oh HELL no. The Navel-gazing thread is for overthinking about "the deeper meaning" of AEW. Bullshit rumour speculation is the POLAR OPPOSITE of navel gazing. (As is, for the most part, fantasy booking). (And DEFINITELY knee-jerk ratings reactions). Navel gazing -overthinking- implies actual thought. The ONLY thing in this thread I would personally welcome in the Navel-gazing thread would be No Fists' thoughts on if AEW without the Elite would still be AEW. (It would not be. If they brought back Punk, brought in Goldberg, and allowed Kenny, Matt, Nick, and Hanger to leave they should change the name to Member Berries Wrestling. And, sadly, there are plenty of prowrestling Grandpas here who would be perfectly happy with that). Overthinking about the meaning of AEW these days is just kinda sad. (They are booking Motley Crue to headline Lollapalooza. The big corporation has taken over my favourite microbrewery and people are complaining that the pilsner is still too bitter. Five guys has started buying frozen fries from the same supplier as McDonalds and people are ecstatic about it). <-That kind of bullshit is, in my opinion, Navel gazing. Twitter-level bullshit rumour speculation is something else entirely.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Sparkleface said:

Well, if we merge this and the Navel-Gazing thread... hmmmm...

AH HA! CM Punk is rumored to be buying some Burger King franchises!

But Burger King is Coke, not Pepsi ...

OH SHIT THE CABANA BEEF HAS BEEN A WORK THE WHOLE TIME IT'S RIGHT THERE

• Haha 2

Re: What AEW would be without the Elite, No Fists identified what I've pretty much always seen it as: Good promotion with some good workers that's willing to cast a broad net and bring in exciting new talents. It was smart of Tony to co-opt the movement, but that moment passed and we're in a place where those founding players aren't necessarily essential to sustain what this is now -- as clearly attested to by people who hopped on the train later when Omega and the Bucks were either in the wings or would disappear for a while. And it's not like AEW doesn't have other people with a potential claim to the heart and soul label: Orange Cassidy, Moxley (who was recently locked up long term), spiritual forefathers like Danielson hanging around in prominent spots, guys like Darby "I'm never working for that other place" Allin. The core Elite guys would be nice to keep, but they're less of the thing than they were at the beginning. When Hangman hit the "heart and soul" line last week, it hit me funny given what we've all been privy to regarding their deals being up in the near-future. It hit like someone making the 2019 case for the Elite in 2023 -- plays well to the converted, of which their are many, but I'm not sure I believe it and there might be less reason than ever for people to be newly swayed by that kind of talk. 

AEW's hitting a point to sustainability where they could lose key pieces without it being devastating. Maybe fans wouldn't like the optics of ready-made headliners jumping to the other place, but that's a subject for silly internet talk rather than anything that would harm my enjoyment of the good promotion with good workers.

Stay or go, hope they find themselves satisfied by their decision. AEW will be fine. 

Edited by John from Cincinnati
  • Like 5

5 hours ago, zendragon said:

It think Tony Khan running ROH 3.0 rather than starting AEW is basically TNA rebranding as IMPACT wrestling, yhea it’s around but not making nearly the waves 

Yeah. In order for a company to make a major splash they had to be completely free of any past history. ROH was a failing brand when it was sold (I went to their TV taping in Seattle and they drew like 400-500 people to an arena that holds thousands). If TK had just bought ROH and tried to present it as a big deal, networks would have taken one look at it and said "Didn't we already pass on this?" before forgetting about it. That's why I think Impact is struggling. If you take the roster they have right now and put them in a company with no connections to "lol TNA" whatsoever, I think they'd be getting a lot more buzz than they are.

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, John from Cincinnati said:

AEW's hitting a point to sustainability where they could lose key pieces without it being devastating.

TV ratings and live attendance are tanking - not sure what alternate reality this post is from.

Wembley's a nice publicity stunt, but for domestic business it doesn't mean anything. Gabe got a million dollars to do WWN shows in China when DGUSA/WWN was on its last legs, then it just turned into an annual Mania weekend novelty show.

If we look at TNA for comparison, 2 years after Hogan joined the company they made a last-ditch effort to tour Impact live every week from large arenas, and then when that failed they went back to Impact Zone.

The new TV deal will keep them afloat, but at this rate we're ~1 year away from Tony bragging about Dynamite selling out Manhattan Center.

Latest On CM Punk’s Conversations With AEW

According to Fightful Select, Punk has remained in contact with AEW over the last week and there have been productive conversations according to those close to Punk, though details were not specific on what that entailed. People close to Punk believe he’ll be at AEW Collision on June 17th.

There was a rumor that Punk had been served with legal papers, and Fightful says that some documents were sent to Punk to be signed over the last week. The site was told the papers covered speaking about certain subjects, disparagement clauses, and making sure Punk appears at scheduled TV dates. There’s no indication that the papers were legal threats; they are said to have been mostly to protect AEW in regard to several potential situations.

AEW has yet to announce the location for the first AEW Collision, and the site notes that as of last week they weren’t told that Daily’s Place was being explicitly discussed as a backup location to the United Center in Chicago. However, they were told that there were places besides the United Center being talked about. Talent have not yet been given their travel info for the first Collision date.

• Like 1