DVDVR Message Board

AEW - MAY 2023

On 5/14/2023 at 5:18 PM, Casey said:

That’s ignoring the fact that the Rampage card is usually advertised with full screen graphics and they include the time the show airs.

I dunno, just seems kinda weird to complain about not knowing what time a preempted show is airing when you admit you aren’t paying attention to the show earlier in the week that gives you that information.

Quick, without looking -- when is Rampage on this week?

Re: brand split Emi needs to be on Wednesday 

Dynamite with the laser beams

She also better get on the Wembley show with Queen w/ Adam Lambert doing her music

Also do something with Andrade that’s better than a Matt Hardy feud

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

Interesting - so now the baseless speculation I'm sure shifts gears into who exactly blew the whistle and why - of course everyone's gonna assume it was Kenny/Bucks but it could have just as easily been a situation where legal said 'absolutely not'

Here's the wording from Haus of Wrestling:

There was an understanding in place that once AEW: Collision debuted, Steel would return to the road for AEW, working as an agent on that brand. However, on Tuesday, the decision was made not to bring Steel back on the road with the promotion, and Punk learned of it shortly after. Following that, there was some miscommunication between lawyers and, subsequently, Punk was pulled from the Collision announcement.

It also says this earlier on:

One of those issues was said to be Ace Steel’s status with the company. Apparently, at a recent sit-down meeting between Chris Jericho and Punk, Jericho floated the idea of bringing Steel back into the AEW fold as a means to ease tensions and get everyone back to work.

Not sure who exactly gave who the red light on Ace Steel, but if Khan made it seem to Punk that he was going to make it happen when Punk made it conditional, that failure is on Tony Khan. But it wouldn't surprise me if a legal executive denied it. And it could be a matter of ongoing legal issues at work here. I'm sure Tony Khan doesn't want any lawsuits erupting out of this. 

• Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, Casey said:

TK works with Megha on legal in two different sports areas and is also an EVP, I highly doubt they went ahead and hired Ace back before going through the proper channels. I think it’s more likely that they hired him back, talent got wind of it, and TK changed his mind on the parameters of his employment to mitigate said blowback - but Punk wasn’t having it.

That's a good point, and is also wholly possible, but that's sort of what I was getting at - no matter what the actual situation was, it's all conjecture 

34 minutes ago, Dog said:

Quick, without looking -- when is Rampage on this week?

Same time as every week, Saturday at noon 

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 5

Yeah the one thing a day later that sticks out to me is that AEW is big enough to have a legal department, and no legal department is gonna okay Steel coming back to work in the building. He's vaguely in a management-esque position and by most accounts bit and threw a chair at the head of other people working there, legal departments exist to protect you from the kind of potential lawsuits (particularly unsafe work environment ones) doing something like that could very easily open you up to. Jericho I could see being unaware enough to not be up on those particulars but Tony would really have no excuse whatsoever.

9 hours ago, Log said:

So, honestly, I hope Punk comes back. I watch wrestling. I don't work for AEW.  I don't have to deal with him personally, and I like to watch him be a pro wrestler. He hasn't done anything to make it hard for me to enjoy watching him.

Sooooooo, I figure there are a few more of you like me. My question is, if he does come back, who you looking forward to seeing him face?

It's been brought up a few times, but I'd love another Punk/Joe match. I loved their trilogy in ROH, and am intrigued what they'd bring to the table as older, slower, more-experienced wrestlers.

I'd like to see him face Cassidy. I think Punk would be into it, and they could get creative with Orange's stuff.

Who else?

Would love a heel Punk vs face OC extended feud oh my god

• Like 2

On 5/18/2023 at 8:18 AM, Dolphman 3000 said:

Punk now sharing what appears to be backstage photos from All Out - here comes the lawsuit

xLssDKf.jpg

Need a handwriting expert to tell us what his script says about him psychologically...

• Haha 1

They announced Shibata vs Coughlin (Pure title) for Wednesday's show but not sure if it's going to be on Dynamite or Rampage or even taped before/after the show for ROH TV.

Edited by Matt D

5 minutes ago, Matt D said:

They announced Shibata vs Coughlin (Pure title) for Wednesday's show but not sure if it's going to be on Dynamite or Rampage or even taped before/after the show for ROH TV.

I think it was announced for the June 1st show...so it's probably going to be taped next week.

• Like 1

On 5/7/2023 at 8:24 AM, Dolfan in NYC said:

Alright just so you guys know, this is my rule... when someone open the thread for next Dynamite or Rampage, the old ones get closed.  Talk about last week can come to the monthly thread.  

Two more quick thoughts, bout the Dolfan Style Guide for DVDVR.  When opening a thread:

1) If it's for something like the weekly show, just use the name of the show.  No one else is gonna run a show called Rampage or Smackdown other than those companies.  So, company name before a unique show name is redundant and unneeded.  

2) And this is for Natch, as much as anyone else, but thread titles don't (usually) need punctuation at the end.  It's a title, not a sentence.  

One thing I've tried to subtly do over the years is organize and standardize stuff so it's, in theory, easier to find years from now.  

Anyway, here's a picture of Taz:

q511bkajuna71.jpg

• Like 5
  • Haha 6

6 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Two more quick thoughts, bout the Dolfan Style Guide for DVDVR.  When opening a thread:

1) If it's for something like the weekly show, just use the name of the show.  No one else is gonna run a show called Rampage or Smackdown other than those companies.  So, company name before a unique show name is redundant and unneeded.  

2) And this is for Natch, as much as anyone else, but thread titles don't (usually) need punctuation at the end.  It's a title, not a sentence.  

One thing I've tried to subtly do over the years is organize and standardize stuff so it's, in theory, easier to find years from now.  

Anyway, here's a picture of Taz:

q511bkajuna71.jpg

Hi, first time caller. Can you make an additional board wide rule that anyone that puts the dollar sign after the amount gets their penis shut in a car door? Thanks, I’ll take my answer off the line.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

according to Meltzer the backup location for the debut episode of Collision is Daily’s Place.

Which I don’t know if I entirely believe, if they already had the United Center booked. Surely it’d cost a lot of money to just up and cancel a booking like that, especially for a pretty regularly used arena like the UC. These things are booked months in advance, and the debut episode is like 3 or 4 weeks away.

• Sad 1

4 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Hi, first time caller. Can you make an additional board wide rule that anyone that puts the dollar sign after the amount gets their penis shut in a car door? Thanks, I’ll take my answer off the line.

Must not make bottom surgery joke must not make bottom surgery joke must not make bottom surgery joAHHHHHHH

JOKE'S ON YOU BUDDY I TRADED MINE IN YEARS AGO HA HA HA HA HA HAAAAAAAA

• Like 1
  • Haha 13

If they run United Center without Punk announced and they aren't confident they have him, and people buy tickets expecting the surprise again... that could be trouble. If he's not gonna show, they either need to say so outright or switch venues. Daily's Place is such a severe downgrade, it's definitely the funniest possible replacement to debut your new alleged A-tier show.  

So messy. Everyone else can be tired, but it's very funny.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, John from Cincinnati said:

If they run United Center without Punk announced and they aren't confident they have him, and people buy tickets expecting the surprise again... that could be trouble. If he's not gonna show, they either need to say so outright or switch venues. Daily's Place is such a severe downgrade, it's definitely the funniest possible replacement to debut your new alleged A-tier show.  

So messy. Everyone else can be tired, but it's very funny.

Jericho has the VP of Live Events & Touring on his podcast today, he talks about what it goes into booking a building and stuff like that. If they agreed months ago on this date, I don’t think it’s as simple as just saying they need to cancel it. Probably looking at a fee to get out of that contracted date. It’s a mess for AEW.

One interesting note from that episode, and removed from all this Punk drama, is that apparently Arthur Ashe wanted to host one of their PPVs early on but it didn’t work out at the time.

2 minutes ago, Casey said:

Jericho has the VP of Live Events & Touring on his podcast today, he talks about what it goes into booking a building and stuff like that. If they agreed months ago on this date, I don’t think it’s as simple as just saying they need to cancel it. Probably looking at a fee to get out of that contracted date. It’s a mess for AEW.

It's pricey, but the play would be to eat the fee or deposit and move on rather than burn fans on what will be seen as a hot ticket if they can't deliver the thing that would make it a hot ticket. Otherwise, risk hurting consumer confidence in a market that's already pretty saturated. 

• Like 2