DVDVR Message Board

AEW - MAY 2023

48 minutes ago, tbarrie said:

I can't work it out, because Adam Cole is nowhere near as awesome as mayonnaise or aioli.

You guys make me so happy…

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Sparkleface said:

All I can think of when it comes to Jay White is when a friend of mine said "aioli is just mayonnaise they want you to pay an extra dollar for".

I will leave it to you, gentle reader, to decide whether Jay White is the aioli to Adam Cole's mayonnaise or vice versa (or to insult my friend's taste in emulsified condiments as I have on many an evening). That said, having watched both Jay White and Adam Cole for close to a decade I'd rather have guacamole.

Ha I’ve been saying recently that Cole is the Wish version of Jay White.

• Haha 1

I guess I should be glad we've got Jay White and Juice Robinson at home, but all I wanted was David Finley! Just like having Dralistico and Komander and still just wanting Dragon Lee! Having Bandido and Vikingo obviously takes some of the sting off that one, though!

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Go2Sleep said:

General question: Who should be the person to end Orange Cassidy's streak?

OC's AA/INT title run has quietly turned into one of AEW's best angles. It's like a scaled down version of Taker's Mania streak. Started off innocuous enough, then about 2/3 of the way through it started becoming a huge deal where every match feels like high stakes, and each successive win taking more and more out of them. OC has helped himself a lot with a lot of MOTYC level work in his more recent defenses (particularly the Buddy Matthews match). It's at the point now where you can't just pass the title along, it's going to be mega heat for the next person to beat him.

With Callis' sudden turn, my vote is heel Takeshita. I'm not sold on the turn happening so soon, but since it has, this could make the most of it. Callis needs a new guy, and that guy has to actually accomplish something to justify leaving someone booked as strong as Kenny. I think they're missing a lot of potential with babyface Takeshita, but this is a good way to get him to that next level.

My second choice would be Swerve, who should have a bigger role than he does and would no doubt be great in that "bi-weekly banger tv match" role. The only thing is I'm not sure if it would be too much system shock if he went from this Rampage-level feud with Keith and Dustin all the way to one of the biggest wins AEW has to offer right now. No doubt he has the ability to pull it off, does TK as a writer?

Jarrett, gets tremendous heat. Would be fun to watch him play travelling NWA champ every week on rampage/collision and we still need finality to the golden globe deal

• Like 1

Results from tonight's House Rules in Salem, VA:

Spoiler

*Hook(c) def. Ethan Page to retain the FTW Championship

*The Gunns def. Brian Pillman Jr. & Brock Anderson via pinfall on Pillman

*Toni Storm def. Skye Blue after Storm Zero

*Orange Cassidy & Darby Allin def. Powerhouse Hobbs & QT Marshall when Darby pinned QT after the Coffin Drop. After the match, Orange & Darby brought in kids dressed as them and did the Best Friends group hug.

*Tony Schiavone introduced Tony Khan to the ring to speak to the crowd.

*Claudio Castagnoli(c) def. Christopher Daniels to retain the ROH World Championship.

*Wardlow(c) (w/ Arn Anderson) def. Lee Moriarty to retain the TNT Championship

*Hangman Adam Page def. Big Bill in a No DQ Match. Hangman wore an eye patch to sell his injury.

• Like 3

If none of the backstage issues from September 2022 were truly resolved, how is this going to work out? 

Also, how can you make any money if guys are refusing to work with each other? Like why shouldn't Hangman and Punk be paired up again? Or Punk and Moxley?

Edited by TheVileOne

1 minute ago, TheVileOne said:

If none of the backstage issues from September 2022 were truly resolved, how is this going to work out? 

Also, how can you make any money if guys are refusing to work with each other? Like why shouldn't Hangman and Punk be paired up again? Or Punk and Moxley?

Sure as hell won’t be boring.

• Like 1

There was a blurb in the recent Observer that said something to the effect that legal issues are still preventing contact between the two parties but someone wants to apologize. I don’t think it was stated what camp they’re with or anything - I’m at work, so maybe someone else can find the quote and post it.

• Like 1

Am I the only one who no longer has any idea when the fuck Rampage is on? I feel like its preempted more often than it isn't this days. I just hope the DVR catches it and then I check on Sunday.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DreamBroken said:

Results from tonight's House Rules in Salem, VA:

Hide contents

*Hook(c) def. Ethan Page to retain the FTW Championship

*The Gunns def. Brian Pillman Jr. & Brock Anderson via pinfall on Pillman

*Toni Storm def. Skye Blue after Storm Zero

*Orange Cassidy & Darby Allin def. Powerhouse Hobbs & QT Marshall when Darby pinned QT after the Coffin Drop. After the match, Orange & Darby brought in kids dressed as them and did the Best Friends group hug.

*Tony Schiavone introduced Tony Khan to the ring to speak to the crowd.

*Claudio Castagnoli(c) def. Christopher Daniels to retain the ROH World Championship.

*Wardlow(c) (w/ Arn Anderson) def. Lee Moriarty to retain the TNT Championship

*Hangman Adam Page def. Big Bill in a No DQ Match. Hangman wore an eye patch to sell his injury.

Sounds like a good time. I would definitely be interested in an AEW house show when they hit NJ/NYC/Philly. 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Dog said:

Am I the only one who no longer has any idea when the fuck Rampage is on? I feel like its preempted more often than it isn't this days. I just hope the DVR catches it and then I check on Sunday.

It may be just you. It's announced during Dynamite when Rampage will be on. 

3 hours ago, Dog said:

I only watch matches I saw spoken highly of here for the most part so I miss it 2/3 the time its announced when its moving. 

In another example of why dirtsheets are god awful at reporting the business side of the industry, apparently there was a rumor that AEW's new TV deal was going to be around a billion dollars and Wrestling Observer, instead of shooting down the rumor, gives it life.  So then yesterday Alvarez comes out and says "well,  my prediction and don't quote me (but I've talked to people) is that it's going to be $300M over 3 years"  which by the way would not be an increase at all for AEW considering there are doing two more hours of TV.  

So now wrestling Twitter has gone from "wow AEW is getting a massive deal'  to "wow AEW is getting fleeced."   And it's all based on nothing.  

You'd think people would have learned from the WWE sale negotiations that none of these sheets are going to have the number.  Who ended up reporting on the sale of WWE? It wasn't the sheets,  it was MSNBC who broke the story.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Dog said:

So, it truly is the spiritual successor to JCP on TBS?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, TheVileOne said:

SRS has reported that AEW guys are on guarantees. They make the same no matter if they draw or not. There’s zero incentive for the Bucks to work Punk & vice versa.

2 hours ago, just drew said:

SRS has reported that AEW guys are on guarantees. They make the same no matter if they draw or not. There’s zero incentive for the Bucks to work Punk & vice versa.

What about royalties and merchandise?

7 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

In another example of why dirtsheets are god awful at reporting the business side of the industry, apparently there was a rumor that AEW's new TV deal was going to be around a billion dollars and Wrestling Observer, instead of shooting down the rumor, gives it life.  So then yesterday Alvarez comes out and says "well,  my prediction and don't quote me (but I've talked to people) is that it's going to be $300M over 3 years"  which by the way would not be an increase at all for AEW considering there are doing two more hours of TV. 

Andrew Zarian drunk-tweeted the 1 billion figure on May 10th and then quickly deleted it - his tweets right after were very "oh, did I do that?", indicating he was full of shit and trying to stir the pot

Alvarez predicted a few days ago the 3 year/$300 million figure, and now people are taking it as fact even though it was just him spitballing

Edited by Dolphman 3000