DVDVR Message Board

AEW - MAY 2023

1 hour ago, Infinit said:

Meltzer said it would be announced at he Up Fronts next Wednesday, which will be at MSG of all places lol

It's at Hulu Theater next door, not MSG proper. Kind of like when Dixie Carter announced Bischoff and Hogan's TNA signings in MSG's lobby.

15 hours ago, Dolphman 3000 said:

It's at Hulu Theater next door, not MSG proper. Kind of like when Dixie Carter announced Bischoff and Hogan's TNA signings in MSG's lobby.

Hey I saw REM there around my 15th birthday in 1986, back when it was called Felt Forum.

Edited by JLowe
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, JLowe said:

Hey I saw REW there around my 15th birthday in 1986, back when it was called Felt Forum.

Yeah, that's still very much MSG. They call the arena the "big room", but I love that every since it's been built, it's one of the reliable (in terms of good crowds) and intimate settings you can hold a boxing match.

But yeah, all the upfronts are going to be in notable venues. The Fox upfront is at the Manhattan Center.

• Like 1

Before the merger, 150 per was the predicted increase for the next deal. But keep in mind now they are going to provide 40% more television per week, and if ppv is included as part of the deal, that has to make sense for them as well. They average around 145k per ppv, the high was 220k, and you have to be optimistic so I could see them wanting to be paid for 250k buys per ppv. If we are up to 6 now, times $50 times 250 divide by 2, it’s reasonable to think they are expecting $37.5m in compensation per year for giving up their ppvs to max. I could definitely see it being $200m per year. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, matt925 said:

Before the merger, 150 per was the predicted increase for the next deal. But keep in mind now they are going to provide 40% more television per week, and if ppv is included as part of the deal, that has to make sense for them as well. They average around 145k per ppv, the high was 220k, and you have to be optimistic so I could see them wanting to be paid for 250k buys per ppv. If we are up to 6 now, times $50 times 250 divide by 2, it’s reasonable to think they are expecting $37.5m in compensation per year for giving up their ppvs to max. I could definitely see it being $200m per year. 

See, Joe, the numbers don’t lie, and they spell disaster for you at Sacrifice.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 18

1 hour ago, Dog said:

I didn't even consider EVERY pay-per-view being on Max. That's been a huge source of revenue for AEW.

I am pretty sure... Max up until now hasn't really run anything under a PPV-type model unlike say UFC and ESPN+, but if they chose to then the PPVs could stay as-is except now only on Max and Warner would take the cut that normally went to the other providers while AEW keeps their normal one.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, username said:

I am pretty sure... Max up until now hasn't really run anything under a PPV-type model unlike say UFC and ESPN+, but if they chose to then the PPVs could stay as-is except now only on Max and Warner would take the cut that normally went to the other providers while AEW keeps their normal one.

I thought the rumor was Max was going to do with the PPVs what Peacock does? That they’re included as part of whatever tier you pay for. Which would mean they’d have to be paying AEW more for the lost revenue. Otherwise just have the library on Max and leave the PPVs on BR Live.

25 minutes ago, The Green Meanie said:

Time will tell if Collision was worth Dark/Dark Elevation dying for. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for more AEW on teevee, but I'm still upset it was at the cost of Dark and Dark Elevation.

At least they're still taping those dark matches before shows. Maybe we get something eventually.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Gorman said:

I ring announced their first big match, and I'd be happy to do the same for the fourth.

Definitely down for Samoa Joe vs. CM Punk. Have all three matches from the 2004 trilogy as *****. For years I thought the second was best but I'd say the third. Some of Samoa Joe and CM Punk's best ever matches.

• Like 3