DVDVR Message Board

AEW - MAY 2023

It was a reference to the album cover of the first Madness record. Maybe they all thought "Night Boat To Cairo" was dope.

Also, as a Timerwolves fan, please don't bother thinking about Steph. He was either going to be the most influential player in decades OR needed an exact system to be the dude he is and we don't live in an existence that can answer that question. 

It’s already in the joshi thread, but Yuka Sakazaki is leaving/graduating from Tokyo Joshi Pro on December 1st and moving to the US after her final show.

I smell an All Elite graphic in her future.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

No sleep lost, @John E. Dynamite. One of many silly misfortunes of a Mn Sports fan. Most rambling and a bit to joke on parallels. But to continue on it, Steph stated he didn’t want to come here and didn’t train here during scouting, so it never was going to happen and is way overplayed. Maybe a draft and trade but the team isn’t that savvy. 
You from Mn?

5 hours ago, Casey said:

It’s already in the joshi thread, but Yuka Sakazaki is leaving/graduating from Tokyo Joshi Pro on December 1st and moving to the US after her final show.

I smell an All Elite graphic in her future.

She's already listed on the roster. It was one of their weird anomalies from the start of the company, that she'd be listed as a roster member but would rarely show up. I guess this is just her finally making the move instead of being in an in-between state.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Sparkleface said:

She's already listed on the roster. It was one of their weird anomalies from the start of the company, that she'd be listed as a roster member but would rarely show up. I guess this is just her finally making the move instead of being in an in-between state.

Yes, she’s been on the roster list as long as Emi Sakura. But it’s Yuka, she’s pretty popular, and they’ll probably make it finally “official” (as in the graphic and announcing it on social media) if she’s making AEW her priority come 2024.

• Like 1

Time to bring on the tag titles then.

• Anna/Tay 
  • Toni/Saraya/Ruby
  • Britt/Hayter
  • Penelope/Bunny
  • Madison/Skye or Willow/Skye
  • Yuka/Riho or Yuka/Miyu if she's next. 
  • Nyla/Marina
  • And you could do other things like Deeb/Hirsch or Deeb/Martinez again or Julia/Abadon or Velvet/Hogan
  • Like 2

On 5/7/2023 at 11:18 AM, NoFistsJustFlips said:

Regarding all the Punk & Bucks stuff, I have a slightly different take. Punk has been told he can't have contact as of now with The Bucks (their call). It seems to me like maybe Punk finally got a bit of perspective and has started a bury the hatchet tour. Went to Raw to bury the heat with Triple H & Miz. Stopped by Impact. Made up with Jericho. I think when he's allowed to have contact with them he may try to make up with them. Kenny I think is already at the point where he'd accept it. I mean maybe not too. But one can hope.

This sounds so much better when you think of it in the same context of the making amends tour that Dewey Cox did in Walk Hard.

Also - I'd really have killed to see Prime Hogan vs Orange Cassidy. The Hulk Up into the soft kicks would have gone over huge.

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, GuerrillaMonsoon said:

Also - I'd really have killed to see Prime Hogan vs Orange Cassidy. The Hulk Up into the soft kicks would have gone over huge.

Soft kicks as old man Hogan slowly Hulks Up and does the puffed-cheeks YOUUUUU point, then he blocks the Orange Punch, hits three slow-mo soft punches, a big boot to the midsection, and then just sits down on the mat next to OC and gently drops the leg from a seated position.

• Haha 4

Rampage thread is closed but I finally watched and that sure was something!

Opening trios was excellent. Vikingo got to hit a lot of his spots, as did Lucha Bros. QT was a very good base. Hobbs was Hobbs, hitting some power moves and nasty lariats and learning to base. Solo is a guy who can take moves. Laying the groundwork to end QTV is a bonus.

The Jade squash was short.

As others said, that was Preston Vance’s best match. Great back and forth, good heeling, good storytelling, quite stiff, feel good aftermath.

Never seen anything like that cinematic match (like literally, only thing that comes close for me is a Santo movie). And similarly, it was goofy as fuck, weird as fuck, and fun as hell. Stoke was the obvious star, alongside the Hardy kids (great second rope senton!) Taiga dressed like Bruce Lee, Isaiah as some weird blaxploitation Hardy character, and every second of Ethan Page stooging were highlights. Now, I don’t need to see anything like that ever again!

Dynamite is ridiculously stacked, kind of worried Austin will be a letdown after that.

Edit: forgot to say AEW RULES THE F’NG WORLD~!

Edited by JLowe
  • Like 8

23 hours ago, GuerrillaMonsoon said:

Hogan's probably 100% immobile now, but around the time he was in TNA, I think they could've gotten a fun 'Hulk Hogan's Last Match' thing out of it, maybe like one bump and he goes over with the ax bomber instead of the legdrop. 

6 hours ago, Craig H said:

Ohhhhhhh shit. Nigel's trademarking his ring name. Let's fucking go!

WWE don’t own the trademark on Phantasio? Their loss is AEW’s gain, can’t wait to see him do some magic tricks at All In!

(i’m kidding but it’s so odd/funny that Nigel’s second job is as a magician)

4 hours ago, Technico Support said:

I hope TK has a good match booked for him, really getting into making plans for Nigel.

I saw what you did there...

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Dolphman 3000 said:

Source?

The usual dirtsheet vanguard posting moneybags and saying dedicated anti-AEW weirdos will be writhing in pain all week. WBD upfronts are on the 17th, I think.

This is cynical but I bet the writer's strike helped.

Edited by John E. Dynamite
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, ChesterCopperpot said:

Rumblings that the AEW new TV deal has already been signed and it's $1b over 5 years.  

While the source is clearly questionable, I don't have any doubt a new deal has been agreed to. We all know about the new Saturday show and AEW wouldn't pull their shows off Youtube unless there was a new deal that said all their content had to be on Warner properties. Plus the rumors related to AEW events being on Max. Way too much smoke for there not to be fire, I assume we'll find out next Wednesday.

• Like 3