DVDVR Message Board

AEW - MAY 2023

2 hours ago, just drew said:

He's probably mid-card at this point, but my man Wheeler Yuta. Nothing but time for that guy. I was utterly convinced he'd never be anything but plucky, white meat babyface, and he's become such a little shitheel. I love it.

Yeah, he’s such a fantastic shitheel! I don’t think he’ll ever be able to be a plucky white meat babyface after this BCC run, because he works best with that edge, and he has the skills. He can be the face who will still cave your chin in with elbow anvil strikes.

• Like 2

My favorite lower carder is Zack Clayton, always felt he has a ton of potential and I hope he still gets to do stuff without Dark anymore. On the women's side, Skye Blue's been on fire as of late.

• Like 2

Angelico has been one of my favorite undercard guys since he and Evans were teaming and he did his goofy rave dance on the way to the ring. I always enjoy seeing him whip out his crazy lucha submissions.

• Like 8

4 hours ago, EVA said:

We’re way too deep into this for nobody to have mentioned SERPENTICO yet.

Serpentico's only purpose is to be Nyla Rose's whipping boy on Twitter. Now Ben Dejo on the other hand, that's somebody to keep an eye on!*

*yeah I know it's the same guy

• Like 1

12 hours ago, jaedmc said:

Hey, who's everyone's low carder act that's crushing it and isn't getting enough love?

Solo and the constant breath spray. Has been one of my favorite things lately.

4 hours ago, EVA said:

We’re way too deep into this for nobody to have mentioned SERPENTICO yet.

I've been huge on the SNAKEMAN since day one. Chaos Project/SAP have been my favorite team forever.

Alright just so you guys know, this is my rule... when someone open the thread for next Dynamite or Rampage, the old ones get closed.  Talk about last week can come to the monthly thread.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Alright just so you guys know, this is my rule... when someone open the thread for next Dynamite or Rampage, the old ones get closed.  Talk about last week can come to the monthly thread.  

That’s my fault for jumping the gun but it’s an exciting card. We should have gone another two pages talking about Menard and Parker feeding for Cassidy during the commercial break.

Also, I feel kind of bad for the Wrestletix guy on Twitter. This should have been his finest moment, working out the All In ticket sales and providing frequent updates and he’s woefully flummoxed by the situation. Poor guy.

• Like 2

I'm into many of the names being thrown around. The Workhorsemen are awesome. Tony Nese is completely underrated. Josh Woods has really come along nicely in the last while, and is probably in need of graduation soon. If we're including him Silas Young is fantastic. Willie Mack is a name I've yet to see registered, but he's been fantastic. Blake Christian, absofuckinglutely! Blake has completely won me over, and I expect he'll find his way up the card in due time. All that said, my favorite low card act, by a large margin, is Leon Ruffin. His ability to connect with any and every live crowd is pretty outstanding. His duck and dodge rope routine is one of the most thrilling combinations going. The way he bumps around is second to none. Leon's matches aren't generally long affairs, but they are consistently fun. On top of being my favorite low card AEW/ROH act, Leon Ruffin is one of my favorite performers going right now.

• Like 6

21 minutes ago, Matt D said:

That’s my fault for jumping the gun but it’s an exciting card.

Your forgiveness will be accepted once you complete your penance. 
Review all available Nick Bockwinkel vs Verne Gagne matches and Jumbo Tsuruta vs Rick Martel matches. 

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, HarryArchieGus said:

Willie Mack is a name I've yet to see registered, but he's been fantastic. 

Tony got cute and ran Willie Mack vs Ninja Mack last night.

@Octopus, Verne is my second least favorite Bock opponent. The matches are all way to one sided. I really should look at all the other Martel versus Jumbo matches now that I understand Jumbo far better. I’ll wait until the soft brand split forces them to do another series I don’t want to watch though. 

Edited by Matt D
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Matt D said:

Tony got cute and ran Willie Mack vs Ninja Mack last night.

@Octopus, Verne is my second least favorite Bock opponent. The matches are all way to one sided. I really should look at all the other Martel versus Jumbo matches now that I understand Jumbo far better. I’ll wait until the soft brand split forces them to do another series I don’t want to watch though. 

Out of my love for you, we can burn the Verne and switch it to any Bockwinkel & Saito tag. 
______
and so this stays on AEW topic, 

Forbiddin Door - Time Machine edition! Any current AEW wrestler with any wrestlers and from what time? 
Who do we want to face prime Lyger!?!?!!

Edited by Octopus
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

28 minutes ago, Octopus said:

Out of my love for you, we can burn the Verne and switch it to any Bockwinkel & Saito tag. 
______
and so this stays on AEW topic, 

Forbiddin Door - Time Machine edition! Any current AEW wrestler with any wrestlers and from what time? 

Liger & Pac vs Brian Pillman sr & jr.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, John from Cincinnati said:

Pretty sure the hierarchy is if you can credibly win a TV singles match at any time, you're firmly midcard or above.

That’s a fair statement.

1 hour ago, Octopus said:

First the AEW/NJPW matches

Eddie Kingston vs 1993 Shinya Hashimoto

Jake Hager vs Victor Zangiev

Jado/Gedo vs Top Flight

Swerve Strickland vs Tatsumi Fujinami

Now general time machine picks

Darby Allin vs Buzz Sawyer

Claudio vs Taiyo Kea

Adrian Adonis vs QT Marshall

El Hijo Del Vikingo vs Gran Naniwa

Adrian Street vs PAC

Edited by porksweats
  • Like 5

Kensuke Sasaki & Hiroshi Hase vs Bryan Danielson & CM Punk

Exploding Barbwire Deathmatch: Masahiro Chono vs Jon Moxley (complete with Onita tribute entrance!)

The Great Muta vs Kenny Omega

• Like 3

1 hour ago, porksweats said:

Darby Allin vs Buzz Sawyer

The feud begins in a tag match when Buzz jumps off the top rope, intercepts an in-mid-air Coffin Drop Darby, and turns it into a powerslam.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, HumanChessgame said:

Angelico has been one of my favorite undercard guys since he and Evans were teaming and he did his goofy rave dance on the way to the ring. I always enjoy seeing him whip out his crazy lucha submissions.

Is the correct answer. Bloody love his zany submissions and transitions. He's probably perfect in ROH, just hope he gets to be more competitive than he has been in AEW. I want to see him in longer matches against the likes of Joe, Danielson, ZSJ etc.

• Like 3

NJPW:

Scott Norton vs. Powerhouse Hobbs
Liger vs Hijo Del Vikingo
Fujiwara vs Danielson
Choshu/Saito vs Moxley/Kingston
Great Muta vs Malakai Black
Vader vs Punk
Darby vs El Samurai
Ohtani vs Daniel Garcia

Other companies:

Jamie Hayter vs Bull Nakano
Kobashi/Kikuchi vs FTR
Misawa vs Omega
Claudio vs Shinzaki

Edited by southofheavy
  • Like 2

Danielson vs mid-90s Regal (or mid-90s Dave Taylor)

Brody King vs Dr Death (or Takayama)

Jamia Hayter vs Akira Hokuto

Darby Allin vs Liger

Daniel Garcia vs Shinjiro Ohtani

I'd also like to see Daddy Magic and Cool Hand get murked by all the great monster tag teams of the 80s and 90s.

Edited by Zimbra
  • Like 2