DVDVR Message Board

AEW - MAY 2023

I have a bad feeling selling out with a large gate ahead of time is going to lead to a ROH at Madison Square Garden scenario where the card gets neutered and certain talents refuse to do the show unless they get additional payoffs

I mean, better now than after having announced something like Punk vs. Kenny and both guys saying they're not getting on the plane for less than X dollars

2 minutes ago, John from Cincinnati said:

People are gonna get on you, but at least that's a version of "this is actually bad for AEW" that I haven't seen yet. Appreciate you. 

Jericho's going to use every power in his being to claw his way to the main event so he could say he drew that house

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Dolphman 3000 said:

I have a bad feeling selling out with a large gate ahead of time is going to lead to a ROH at Madison Square Garden scenario where the card gets neutered and certain talents refuse to do the show unless they get additional payoffs

I mean, better now than after having announced something like Punk vs. Kenny and both guys saying they're not getting on the plane for less than X dollars

If the show managed to sell a good amount of tickets WITHOUT a match being announced, pretty sure you're not going to get an additional payoff. This ain't the 1980s and you ain't Bruiser Brody.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Dolphman 3000 said:

Jericho's going to use every power in his being to claw his way to the main event so he could say he drew that house

Jericho-Jarrett dream match baby!

• Like 3

Oh man, there’s like 2 guys in AEW I have zero interest in seeing Double J wrestle, and Jericho’s on that list (Adam Cole is the other).

Yo give me Jarrett heeling it up (what’s the UK version of tortillas……tea bags?) against patriotic babyface PAC. That shit would rule. Bump and feed, Jeff, bump and feed. 

Edited by For Great Justice
  • Like 2

51 minutes ago, Dolphman 3000 said:

I'm not going to mock this because it's based on how things used to be. When your only payoff guaranteed to you was three $50 bookings and the rest was based on houses and what-not I'd see your point. That's how WWE used to be run. So you'd get Warrior holding them up for money because he didn't think his payoffs were going to be fair teaming with Hogan. But now with guaranteed contracts this isn't really a thing. No one is on paper only making $150 a month + discretionary bonuses. The Young Bucks make like $3 million a year each. They don't get to say nah I'm not doing All In without getting X amount extra. It's already baked into the guarantees. You show up and work as many dates as your contract allows for.

So a little off the mark, but at least based on how business used to be done. Can anyone think of the last time there was a big payoff dispute or holdup? MJF not doing the Wardlow match doesn't count for me, because I truly think that was all part of the plan. Drum up drama for his TV shoot promo. He just took it too far and made it more of a spectacle than it needed to be.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Dolphman 3000 said:

Huh?  I was at the NJPW/ROH MSG show.  It was a great time. 

3 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Huh?  I was at the NJPW/ROH MSG show.  It was a great time. 

It was a great time except for the Enzo/Big Cass nonsense and Matt Taven winning the ROH world title instead of Marty Scurll. 

1 hour ago, John from Cincinnati said:

People are gonna get on you, but at least that's a version of "this is actually bad for AEW" that I haven't seen yet. Appreciate you. 

Worse, people are taking him seriously.

• Haha 3

14 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

They didn't no-show. They had left New Japan by that point. 

They made it super clear they wouldn’t be anywhere near New York that weekend but for everyone to have a great time. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

It was a great time except for the Enzo/Big Cass nonsense and Matt Taven winning the ROH world title instead of Marty Scurll. 

I thought the Enzo/Cass shit was hilarious.  I guess I wouldn't say it was "good" but we had pretty good seats so I filmed the whole thing and we were laughing like crazy back at the hotel room.  

Taven winning fucking sucked though,  spot on. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, matt925 said:

They made it super clear they wouldn’t be anywhere near New York that weekend but for everyone to have a great time. 

In December 2018 - 4 months after tickets had already sold out with people assuming they were going to be there

I'm all for TK going in on any scrub that's trying to tear them down for no reason. They have a banger of a day with presales so someone has to try and curb the positivity by throwing out some bullshit. Funny how that guy then doesn't respond to the tweets at all and instead gets back to his regularly scheduled tweeting of boxing. 

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Dolphman 3000 said:

In December 2018 - 4 months after tickets had already sold out with people assuming they were going to be there

And here I thought I (and everybody else) liked the show despite unadvertised talent who didn't work for the company not being on the card. Good thing you told me that all those tickets being sold for Wembley is actually a bad thing, or I might have ended up liking All In too. Go post about things you like, it will make you happier.

At this point I'm wondering what their step-on-the-gas ticket mover is going to be. I imagine they'll announce it whenever ticket sales stall, but I would imagine the major ones would be a Punk return or one of the three huge Kenny matches you could run (Okada, Ibushi, Ospreay). I entirely expect Saraya vs. Hayter. I am optimistic about ZSJ vs. Danielson. But I'm not entirely sure about the breadth of NJPW involvement so soon after Forbidden Door since they've kind of proven they don't NEED IT for Wembley. I'm more curious where the homegrowns are gonna end up and what still-waiting-to-break-out UK talent will be featured. NXTUK releases on the undercard? That Leon Slater kid somebody told me about getting a tryout? We'll see.

Edited by John E. Dynamite
  • Thanks 1

I was thinking Ospreay and ZSJ would have spots on the show and they might but there's some big matches they can put on there.  CM Punk vs. Omega would be a big fight feel.  CM Punk vs. Bryan hasn't happened in years, that would feel like a big deal too. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, John E. Dynamite said:

And here I thought I (and everybody else) liked the show despite unadvertised talent who didn't work for the company not being on the card. Good thing you told me that all those tickets being sold for Wembley is actually a bad thing, or I might have ended up liking All In too. Go post about things you like, it will make you happier.

At this point I'm wondering what their step-on-the-gas ticket mover is going to be. I imagine they'll announce it whenever ticket sales stall, but I would imagine the major ones would be a Punk return or one of the three huge Kenny matches you could run (Okada, Ibushi, Ospreay). I entirely expect Saraya vs. Hayter. I am optimistic about ZSJ vs. Danielson. But I'm not entirely sure about the breadth of NJPW involvement so soon after Forbidden Door since they've kind of proven they don't NEED IT for Wembley. I'm more curious where the homegrowns are gonna end up and what still-waiting-to-break-out UK talent will be featured. NXTUK releases on the undercard? That Leon Slater kid somebody told me about getting a tryout? We'll see.

Omega-Yano II.

Done!

• Thanks 2

All I'm saying is that you have a volatile situation where Bucks/Kenny and Punk are 8 months removed from All Out, and nothing has been resolved.

We're heading towards another Bret/Shawn situation - instead of turning All In into Montreal, I'd rather Tony keep Punk and The Elite off the card entirely. If they want to pull bullshit and ratfuck each other, let them do it on a smaller stage than Wembley.

Punk and The Bucks have been trying to one-up each other with showing how much they want to leave in the past couple weeks, so focus the show on literally anyone else.