DVDVR Message Board

AEW Dynamite - 4/26/2023

The Natural

Looking forward to Orange Cassidy vs. Bandido for Cassidy's AEW International Championship, Dax Harwood vs. Jeff Jarrett and Tony Khan talks, probably to announce AEW Collision rumoured to be the new Saturday TV show with CM Punk on. Darby Allin vs. Sammy Guevara in the Pillars final which feels like it'll be an inevitable four way with AEW World Champion MJF and Jack Perry. Hopefully this AEW Dynamite is better than last week's.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 1

• The Natural changed the title to AEW Dynamite - 4/26/2023

I've found that my favorite Dynamites are the ones with more "random" match-ups, like this one.

OC/Bandido will be awesome, but I think Dax/JJ could steal the show.

Someone may die in the Darby/Sammy match.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Craig H said:

TONY'S GOT AN ANNOUNCEMENT.

I'm not going to give a fuck unless it's something about the video game or something about streaming.

I feel like on the Tony Talking Scale, this one has the lowest potential to be interesting since it goes "will hear from" -> Announcement -> BIG ANNOUNCEMENT and this one is the first option. Probably just be something silly.

4 minutes ago, Kevin Wilson said:

I feel like on the Tony Talking Scale, this one has the lowest potential to be interesting since it goes "will hear from" -> Announcement -> BIG ANNOUNCEMENT and this one is the first option. Probably just be something silly.

When you broke that down it just occurred to me...It's probably announcing Thunder Rosa's return.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Craig H said:

When you broke that down it just occurred to me...It's probably announcing Thunder Rosa's return.

That'd be kinda left field, but I'm down with it. Part of me wonders if (when she does return) they'll turn her heel due to the reality show stuff, and have her side with the Outcasts - 'Britt, Jamie, you have both been jealous of me from day one...' One of those kinda things. 

13 hours ago, The Natural said:

Darby Allin vs. Sammy Guevara in the Pillars final which feels like it'll be an inevitable four way with AEW World Champion MJF and Jack Perry.

You're probably right, but there's at least a slim chance the tournament thing came about because the bookers actually decided to pivot from the four-way build. Darby vs MJF for the title and Sammy vs Jungle Boy in a grudge match might work better.

But like I said, you're more than likely right that we're still getting a four-way.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Craig H said:

Could have sworn I just read somewhere the other day that she's not healing as fast as she'd like and may have to undergo surgery.

9 hours ago, Craig H said:

I’m expecting the announcement of the Saturday show, and that it’s going to be at the United Center for the debut episode.

Second Dance.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Kevin Wilson said:

Yeah, with this logic, I think it'll be about the Pillars stuff to set a 4 way for the PPV. That would mean leading with Darby vs Sammy to start the show though.

Darby vs Sammy has been a very good version of that type of match in the past. OC vs Bandido and Dax vs Jarrett both look like extremely promising first-time matches. We've been waiting a while on Jade vs Taya. This is a top-tier lineup. 

Also excited for the ongoing evolution of what merits a Tony appearance and just how much of an on-screen authority figure he is. The more trivial or routine the reason for speaking, the funnier. 

• Like 5

They should have like a color-coded tier system for TK announcements.

Like, this week is a code blue. Ok, we don't really need to get too excited. But, say in a month they put out word that he has a code red announcement, then it's must-watch!

Oh, I should clarify that it's a rainbow tier system. Purple being the lowest, least-important and red being most important.

Edited by Log
Clarification of my brilliant system.
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

I don't love that Jade/Taya for the title is tonight, with not a lot of fanfare (for those that just watch Dynamite). Taya coming to AEW should have been a bigger deal, she's been successful in various promotions and countries over the years and was probably the most well-known available female wrestler. I'm not saying she should come in and beat Jade, I still think that should be Statlander, but I would have liked more build-up to it. Course this could have a non-ending to build to a match at PPV, which would be fine with me, but I just don't love going so quickly to a title match between the two without a lot of build on their A Show.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, John E. Dynamite said:

I'll be surprised if Stadtlander doesn't show up tonight, with an off-off chance of a Thunder Rosa returb. Either way I expect Jade/Taya to set up a challenge from somebody who's beating Jade @ the PPV.

I think we get shenanigans tonight and simply a rematch at the ppv. 

This card is right up my alley but I’m gonna have to be switching back and forth with the warriors game. I will def watch after when I can be more invested. Brutal competition tonight. 

• Like 2

Things I remember from this week of AEW Dynamiet:

Cassidy/Bandido was a fun one

The Owen Hart Cup is back and it will be determined in Canada

Dax/Jarrett would have been an amazing match on some random Monday Night at the Mid-South Coliseum. If you get sent to the back by an AEW ref, it's way easy to just sneak back in and help your guy win

Wardlow smashed a dude and Arn Anderson's bright red clothing makes him look larger than he is

Sammy and MJF are having a productive male friendship

Sammy and Darby was a wild time and also put us on the fuckery highway to the PPV where we'll get the four way through next weeks tag match. Having this match start in the first hour was a blaring road sign that something was afoot. Meanwhile MJF won't let Sammy ride in the car with him.

Strong Rod shows up to save Adam Cole from the Jericho Appreciation Society

Jade wins again and Taya puts Aubrey in a hold postmatch

How the fuck did the Butcher and the Blade get into a TV main event? for some reason, I suspect this week's ratings might dip a bit after Sammy/Darby although they always do, right? meanwhile, postmatch gang wars happened and bloodddd

At least this week was a bit meatier than last week with the main event situation, multiple group vs group feuds and the such.

• Like 3

Orange Cassidy!  His hand is bandaged up!  It's Bandido!  He is got a Zorro look going.  They fiddle around a lot early to the delight of many Floridians.  Cassidy is awesome against high end luchadores and this is great.  Fun submission by Bandido followed by a BEAUTIFUL Tope Con Hilo!  Romero Special during picture in picture that becomes a Very Delayed Vertical Suplex!  Michinoku Driver by OC for TWO!  AWESOME ONE ARMED SUPERPLEX by BAndido!  GREAT NEARFALL after NEARFALL!  EH!  Bandido should have won.  That was fucking great!  Bandido is so awesome.  Orange Cassidy is so awesome.  It's Jeff Jarrett- our comeback wrestler of the year!  It's Dax HArwood- top five in-ring dude on earth!  THE LOCKUP!  I love how this match is Jarrett getting in a bunch of offense and Dax cuts him off by Wahooing the fudge out of him.  This match is more Mid-Atlantic than Memphis so I love this.  So old school.  PILEDRIVER for TWO!  Confusing finish!  That was good.  Wardlow crushes a dude.  Blackpool Combat Club crush RJ City!  Darby Allin takes on Sammy Guevara!  MJF has pickles!  This match is fun!  So much armdrags and mat work!  Sammy Guevara is so underrated.  GREAT Lowblow into a Asai Moonsault by Sammy in what is the first high spot of the match.  I love how they aren't doing the same match over and over again.  Love Machine Splash for two during picture in picture by Sammy.  Cutter on the Allin Tope!  Sammy CRUSHES Darby through a table!  SUWA DROPKICK!  WHOA! CRAPPY FINISH!  Oh no!  IT's gonna be a fourway!  That was pretty RAW-like: great wrestling, shitty finish.  RODERICK STRONG!  AWESOME!  Taya Valkyrie and Jade Cargill have a match.  This match is good.  Taya knows how to make wrestlers look good. BLUE THUNDER BOMB to comeback!  NICE Superplex by Jade.  Jade hits a CANADIAN DESTROYER!  Taya can't use the Road To Valhalla so Jade rolls her up for the win.  That was good even if the finish was goofy.  Taya is fucking awesome.  Konosuke Takeshita and Kenny Omega are my dream team!  Kip Sabian CHEATS!  Konosuke Takeshita is built for the main event.  Wattsian finish with the BCC standing tall.  That was two pretty great matches and three matches that were booked into not pretty greatness.  AEW RULES THE MOTHERFUCKING WORLD.

• Like 7

Couple problems with this show:

1. I’m a man of slightly above average height and substantial strength. I’ve trained a bit in boxing and Muay Thai. If a guy who looked like adam Cole told me he was going to “come find me,” I’d chuckle and keep drinking my beer. Why would anyone believe he could kick Jericho’s ass? Again, this forced notion that he’s a top babyface is a fools folly, no matter what @LF2 says. No one really believes adam Cole is a top guy.

2. Same thing with the Jacksons, especially after that excerpt from their book made the rounds on Twitter about how Danielson and Rod Strong beat their asses at an Indy show. Them standing toe to toe with the BCC doesn’t make them look tough. It makes the BCC look ineffectual. I’ll talk about the stuff I liked on this show tomorrow. 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, just drew said:

Couple problems with this show:

1. I’m a man of slightly above average height and substantial strength. I’ve trained a bit in boxing and Muay Thai. If a guy who looked like adam Cole told me he was going to “come find me,” I’d chuckle and keep drinking my beer. Why would anyone believe he could kick Jericho’s ass? Again, this forced notion that he’s a top babyface is a fools folly, no matter what @LF2 says. No one really believes adam Cole is a top guy.

2. Same thing with the Jacksons, especially after that excerpt from their book made the rounds on Twitter about how Danielson and Rod Strong beat their asses at an Indy show. Them standing toe to toe with the BCC doesn’t make them look tough. It makes the BCC look ineffectual. I’ll talk about the stuff I liked on this show tomorrow. 

Just make this post your sig. Save everybody the time. And hell, I agree.

Edited by John E. Dynamite
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

I only saw half of it due to work and other bullshit but it was a pretty fun half. The main was actually rockin, Kenny and Takeshita are a swell team and everything was stiff as hell. Poor Butcher and Blade lose every. single. time. The Taya match was solid enough despite the wonky finish (why not just Tiger Suplex her?). Didn't catch all of Darby/Sammy so I'll refrain from comment, BUT. The single greatest thing ever happened right after. 

Tony: "Listen up... whadda you want?" *points finger* "You prick!"

MJF: "You can't talk to me like that!"

Tony: "I just did."

Then they come back from commercial break, he sitting there with a jar of pickles and asks the rest of them, "Want a pickle?"

I fell out.

• Like 7