DVDVR Message Board

WWE TV - 4/24 - 4/30/2023

Dolfan in NYC

So, all in all, it took about 3 weeks for the "Cody Should've Won" people to proved right. Whether it was Vince or Triple H or whoever made the call, the WWE's booking since Mania has been like that scene from The Simpsons where Sideshow Bob keeps walking into rakes.

Had they just given the fans what they wanted and given Cody the win, they wouldn't need to create a *third* World Championship.

They could've still done the exact same Brock heel turn the next night on RAW (only, in this instance, it would've been Roman wanting a rematch and Cody saying, "Sure, but to get it, you and Solo have to beat me and a partner of my choosing and I know someone who really, really hates you.")

There a myriad of ways of they could've split Cody's titles that wouldn't have felt cheap. For example, they could've had Cody come out and say that he was a fighting champion and wasn't going to duck challengers...which would've led to one RAW heel (Finn?) and one SD guy (GUNTHER?) demanding title shots on the same night at an upcoming pay-per-view. Cody, being the fighting champion he is, says he'll fight them both. He could then lose to one or even beat both and, if they had held off until this summer, lose one of the titles to whoever wins the Briefcase in July. 

I know that, in the future, this title - if it lasts long enough - will feel credible and "real" just like the World Heavyweight Championship eventually did despite being rewarded to Triple H. By the time Batista won it, it felt legitimate. I expect the same will one day be true for this title.

But, right now, it feels like a championship being fought over by guys that couldn't beat the real capital-C Champion, Roman Reigns. A consolation prize for Seth and Cody and Drew and Lashley and Owens and all the other guys who got beat by the Tribal Chief. A silver medal in a sport where only gold matters.

• Like 4

I'm not mad at the raw title. Once Cody lost at mania, i figured we were going for Hogan's record at 1474 bare minimum.  Now that being said.  With the benefit of hindsight, i can say that everything up til the final 3 count was awesome with the Cody/Roman story.  Everything with Sami and Jey is still compelling to me.  Even Cody on his own has been good to great at being the #1 babyface in a heel promotion.

I do hope that they dont go for 1474 amd Roman drops the titles at mania 40, or Roman starts tweaking his formula to keep it fresh, adding some more controlling offense to hia arsenal to fill in some of his pacing depending on opponents. 

That said.  Push Xavier Woods!

12 hours ago, Craig H said:

BTW, this new World title just totally fucks over Cody. I mean, we were told for weeks to just keep following the story, this was just the beginning, and already it feels like the same old bullshit after Rhea lost to Charlotte at WM. I'm not seeing what this grand storyline for Cody is. So in this chapter we introduce a new World title? A title that if Cody wins it he'll just be looked at as a lame duck and having a participation trophy for not beating Roman? And if it's not that, then he winds up on the same brand as Roman, beats Roman, and now isn't the undisputed champion of the company considering there's another champion on the other brand. 

For Cody, this feels like a lose/lose scenario. The only salvageable scenario is having Cody beat Roman at Summerslam and it's put over more as something like Brock ending Undertaker's streak, like Cody beat the guy who has been unbeatable.

For fans, we're on the losing end too. Already the luster has worn off of Kevin and Sami winning the tag titles. It made for a great moment at WM and then it's been watered down since with Kevin and Sami arguing each week, throwing Riddle into the mix who feels like a total 3rd wheel, and Sami STILL trying to talk Jey out of a gang. This whole shit with Sami trying to talk people out of the Bloodline is getting as played out as the tired story of which Elite friend isn't going to be unfriended next?!? 

And then the absolute worst thing for me as a fan is Seth being the new champion. His gimmick is one I'll never understand.

Agreed on all this.

One of Cody's things was how he was going to take back the titles from Roman and be the fighting champion once again, but now we'll already have that elsewhere so that's no big deal anymore. 

on a sidenote from elsewhere, Roman already did those TV matches against Woods, ford, and Rey in 2021 .

• Like 3

Man, Grayson Waller versus Melo is incredible. Great match with Grayson trying to use his craftiness to limit Melo’s athleticism, going for broke when he needed to, only for him not being able to limit Melo’s athleticism and fall prey to when Melo went for broke. Really awesome match.

• Like 1

Guys, it’s long term booking. Cody doesn’t have enough adversity. So, after losing to Brock he will then lose in the new title match to Seth Rollins or Logan Paul. Then his wife leaves him and takes the dog. Down and out he has no where to turn. He becomes Sad Cody. Think Sad Barron Corbin but more realistic with the neck tattoo of a homeless person. He gets pity from a kind Billionaire that will teach him how to pick himself up by his bootstraps by putting him under his wing and giving him a large sum of money. With the financial wizardry of Bradshaw, Cody becomes a sponsor for large cupped margaritas. Cody, with his manager JBL, wins back the love of his wife through gifts. His catchphrase is “Soooomuch Rita. It’s So-Rita!” Then he wins the New Championship from Seth Rollins or Jake Paul or whoever. Boy, does Cody love those Jumbo sized margaritas. Then at Wrestlemania 40, for all three of the Belts, we have suit wearing overcame adversity Cody vs the Tribal Chief Undisputed Double Champ, Roman Reigns. The match is about to take place. Cody is ready with his sponsored large Margarita cup, saying “It’s sooooooomuch Rita. Jumbo sized.” JBL asks, “what’s in the cup?” Cody says, “Sir, it’s Rita. The Jumbo cup, sir. Jumbo, sir, Rita!” Uh oh, swerve, look at the contract. It’s a triple threat match. Roman vs Cody vs JBL. JBL wins to avenge Stan Hansen’s loss to Jumbo Tsuruta for the first ever AJPW Triple Crown title match and Finishes the Story that has been booked since 1989.

• Like 1

Tony/Stacks vs. Pretty Deadly was a decent plunder/brawl.

Bron/Andre was pretty nice as a semi-competitive squash. Bron looked like a beast while still giving Chase a little shine before murdering him.

Cora/Valkyria was going pretty well from beginning and throughout the commercial break where some of the best action happened. Felt like it lost a little steam towards the end, especially with the poorly executed finish. Still a decent-solid match. 

Hayes/Waller was so damn near great, easily the best Waller has looked. 

Dijak's attack on Dragunov was nice.

Nice to see them keeping up the random attacks on the women's roster. Kind of hoping its someone new or a new group whenever they finally reveal who is behind the attacks. 

Curious to see if the backstage bit with Tyler Bate and Wes Lee is leading to a match between them or a team for the Dusty Classic.

Briggs/Fallon vs. Jensen/Kiana was shockingly good. The action was nice, and they played to the story and characters well. Curious if this is the end of this particular story.

Oba/Oro was a solid debut for Oba. Dude is monster. Oro put the guy over well making everything look big and damaging. Oro managed a decent uphill battle as well with his comeback. 

The Women's title match was a little rough but generally decent up until Indi's injury. That was clearly not planned and Roxanne and Tiffany were struggling to kill time with the uncertainty of how things would go. The crow dying with worry for Indi did not help them. Pity to see Indi hurt during what should have been a big moment for her. The fact that she was able to finish hopefully means she will be ok. 

Up until Indi's injury I thought this was solid-good show. That moment unfortunate put things on a bit of a downer even with Indi able to finish and retain. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, DEAN said:

My daughter and my son-in-law came by for a visit so I'll analyze the NXT tomorrow when I finally get home.

Oh, you didn't miss much... just a double murder.  😞 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, nofuture said:

Is it really shocking that WWE creative would have Mansoor being behind the 9/11 Attacks when he was 6?

The big winner here is the guy who pitched Heidenrich as an unfrozen nazi soldier as that is now no longer the most horribly offensive WTF idea a writer has ever pitched (heck, the crocodile hunter idea may have topped it as well). 

7 hours ago, hammerva said:

Well here we go again

It has been speculated that Naomi has signed with Impact. Stuff like this coming out ,confirms what I've thought about her pursuing a wrestling career outside of WWE even before her and Sasha walked out. I felt like WWE would never allow her to get out of the dancing Black wrestler that Vince sees in alot of his black wrestler. I think her dancing offense limits her inring work. 

It's even more ridiculous that they could've easily put her in the Bloodline with Jimmy. Even if the company for whatever reason did see her as a good fit for them, I'll never understand why Jimmy and the rest of the Bloodline didn't push for that to happen unless Naomi for whatever reason decided she didn't want to be aligned with them. I think it would have added so much having her as the only Woman in the group.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, StarChief EagleDemon said:

"Now go with me here...instead of hunting crocodiles...he hunts...PEOPLE!"

I can visualize that conversation being had.

The one writer sounds a genuine shithead, but you hear stories of all sorts of crazy shit being suggested in writers rooms all the time. I'll guess this suit gets settled and we never hear about it again.

10 minutes ago, The Natural said:

Big main event. Really hope Sami Zayn/Kevin Owens don't lose the Undisputed WWE Tag Team Titles so soon after beating the Usos in a WrestleMania XXXIX main event with the specter of Night of Champions looming...

That’s the thing. If they don’t lose tomorrow then it’s sometime over the next three weeks. There’s no way they run Night Of Champions without the unified tag champs. I’d rather they lose to the Usos than anyone else on the main roster (but I wouldn’t object to Pretty Deadly beating them on Raw or Smackdown next week, most likely via Uso interference).

• Like 1

They're separating the World Titles. I wouldn't at all be surprised if they do a disputed finish and split the tag titles up some how Friday. I mean the one year they just traded belts, logic isn't really a concern here. I'm going to predict a double pin. Jey pins KO while Sami pins Jimmy, Usos stay on Smackdown as SD tag champs, KO & Sami stay on Raw as Raw tag champs.

• Like 2