DVDVR Message Board

WWE TV - 4/24 - 4/30/2023

Dolfan in NYC

2 minutes ago, caley said:

I wonder if you couldn't hve run an angle where Roman Reigns "injures" an opponent (or opponents) so viciously (say a guy going away for some sort of surgery) outside the realm of a match (after being DQed or backstage or something) to get out of defending his title and have Adam Pearce/whoever "ban" him from Raw saying they don't have the Authority (***) to strip him of the title, so if Roman's not going to play by the rules, then he isn't welcome on Raw and we'll be naming a new champion, who is willing to defend the belt. Then the new champ is still a B-Champ but not a "Well no one can beat the other guy so we might as well make a new belt" and more of a "on Raw we actually defend the title!" champ. Then on Smackdown Roman can keep calling himself the undispusted champ and start billing himself as "the only superstar so dangerous he was banned from Raw". I mean, that's how I personally would have done it.

what could Roman do that would be so much worse than the postmatch at the Rumble that it would justify that?

the whole thing sorta feels like it would have been much more logical if Roman had just gotten injured like what has happened to several recent-ish WWE champs and both shows held their own tournaments to determine champs until he came back

ROCKED the FOUNDATION.... by doing the same thing they've done the other two times a brand split was created.

I already lost interest when Cody didn't win, now it feels like whenever Roman does lose, it's oh well we already have another world champion anyway, killing the interest that much more.

I imagine Seth wins this new one and he already bores me.

If they had to do this brand split redo, I don't see why they couldn't just say with new draft rules, Roman will have to defend the titles separately again, undisputed champ can work either show like the 02 original before the first World title split.

• Like 2

I think you put the additional title on Gunther. Legitimizes his claim as the number one contender to Roman Reigns, and the only person that isn't a paper champion in theory. I think it works if you hold onto the IC title simultaneously, to legitimize his claim given he's gone a year or so undefeated, and the nice visual of two titles vs two titles. If not, you can do a nice little IC tournament (surely they go to Rio and do one for real one day?) to showcase all the new draftees to the brand.

From there, you can perhaps feed him to Cody at Summerslam, and then do the Roman match?

I want the completion of the angle WCW were doing with Rick Rude as US champion as the number one contender to Vader. In theory aligned in their dislike of Sting, but Rude wants his rightful shot.

Edited by GuerrillaMonsoon
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Steventon said:

this surely will be a nonsense belt like an interim title that will be unified with others within the next year to lead to a WWE triple crown or something

I just don't get how they can keep calling Roman "undisputed" when clearly a second champion in the same weight class will make his title disputed

I think it’s a really safe bet that the new title goes to either Seth or Cody. I saw someone throw out LA Knights name, and now Dom. The belt already comes across as a B Title there’s no way in hell they put it on either of those two to be the first champion. That would kill the belt before it even gets started.

The only possible guy I could see other than the two obvious ones is Sami if he turns on KO (which is where I think the whole angle with them and Riddle is headed). 

Cody beats Brock at Backlash. Seth beats Cody at Night of Champions. Naomi comes back and attacks Becky and joins the Bloodline. Seth is so upset he puts up the title at Summerslam in a title vs title match. Roman beats him. Everyone laughs and laughs and laughs.

Any solution other than that will be subpar.

• Haha 1

I guess the biggest question is whether the Universal Champion is now the new (or old again) Smackdown championship and the World Title is the new RAW championship?  I will assume that Reigns is going to stay on Smackdown.  He really doesn't seem to give two shits about RAW and frankly don't blame him.   they are going to need to move a ton of people to Smackdown if that is the case because they have already did the Drew, Sami, and Kevin thing.  GUNTHER probably isn't happening until next year at the earliest.  There is nobody on the current smackdown roster you can have face Roman.  

7 minutes ago, hammerva said:

I guess the biggest question is whether the Universal Champion is now the new (or old again) Smackdown championship and the World Title is the new RAW championship?  I will assume that Reigns is going to stay on Smackdown.  He really doesn't seem to give two shits about RAW and frankly don't blame him.   they are going to need to move a ton of people to Smackdown if that is the case because they have already did the Drew, Sami, and Kevin thing.  GUNTHER probably isn't happening until next year at the earliest.  There is nobody on the current smackdown roster you can have face Roman.  

I don’t know about the whole nobody thing. People in last weeks tv thread liked the idea of Woods vs Roman again, and if (big if) Big E returns then he’s a fresh challenger too. The other two names that stick out to me are Sheamus and Braun Strowman. No I don’t want to see either headline a PPV against Roman, but I could see either being used as a title defense on TV. Actually I’d throw Nakamura in there too as a potential challenger some Friday night.

Plus let’s say they move some combination of AJ Styles, Theory, Lashley, Finn, and Seth to Smackdown what do they do for Raw? That would dilute the pool of title contenders there too. 

52 minutes ago, LF2 said:

I think it’s a really safe bet that the new title goes to either Seth or Cody. I saw someone throw out LA Knights name, and now Dom. The belt already comes across as a B Title there’s no way in hell they put it on either of those two to be the first champion. That would kill the belt before it even gets started.

The only possible guy I could see other than the two obvious ones is Sami if he turns on KO (which is where I think the whole angle with them and Riddle is headed). 

Won't be Sami Zayn or Kevin Owens at WWE Blood Money, I mean WWE Night of Champions.

I think Seth Rollins is the first WWE World Heavyweight Champion and Cody Rhodes wins the Undisputed WWE Universal Championship from Roman Reigns containing the WWE Championship, the belt Dusty Rhodes never won. Wouldn't be surprised if Cody wins the new belt though.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 2

21 minutes ago, The Natural said:

Won't be Sami Zayn or Kevin Owens at WWE Blood Money, I mean WWE Night of Champions.

I think Seth Rollins is the first WWE World Heavyweight Champion and Cody Rhodes wins the Undisputed WWE Universal Championship from Roman Reigns containing the WWE Championship, the belt Dusty Rhodes never won. Wouldn't be surprised if Cody wins the new belt though.

Unless Cody films Mortal Kombat 2 I don’t see any way they can hold off on him vs Roman until WM40 if he’s the one to dethrone Roman. So him winning the new belt seems most likely (unless they let him beat Roman at SummerSlam). 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, LF2 said:

Unless Cody films Mortal Kombat 2 I don’t see any way they can hold off on him vs Roman until WM40 if he’s the one to dethrone Roman. So him winning the new belt seems most likely (unless they let him beat Roman at SummerSlam). 

I think it'll be SummerSlam when Roman Reigns drops the Undisputed WWE Universal Championship. Can WWE keep it going till WrestleMania XL...Xtra Large? 😉.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, For Great Justice said:

If they have longer term plans to turn Cody heel, giving him this title further’s the whole “he showed up and it was all just given to him and he hasn’t earned it” thing 

They can even feud him with Scott Steiner, Goldberg, Booker T, and RVD.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LF2 said:

I don’t know about the whole nobody thing. People in last weeks tv thread liked the idea of Woods vs Roman again, and if (big if) Big E returns then he’s a fresh challenger too. The other two names that stick out to me are Sheamus and Braun Strowman. No I don’t want to see either headline a PPV against Roman, but I could see either being used as a title defense on TV. Actually I’d throw Nakamura in there too as a potential challenger some Friday night.

Plus let’s say they move some combination of AJ Styles, Theory, Lashley, Finn, and Seth to Smackdown what do they do for Raw? That would dilute the pool of title contenders there too. 

If that is the case they are basically admitting that they are padding their stats to make Roman's title reign look more impressive.   Also it kind of goes against the concept of Roman just being a part timer who only feels like defending it when he wants and that is not often.   

Like most things in the WWE, they are probably going to seriously regret this idea in about 4 to 6 months.  

Someone in the chat last night said during Raw that it felt more Vince-y than usual.

Looks like that was exactly the case as last night had more Vince fuckery. Dr. Claw motherfucker just calling the shots from a high backed chair in Stamford.

BTW, this new World title just totally fucks over Cody. I mean, we were told for weeks to just keep following the story, this was just the beginning, and already it feels like the same old bullshit after Rhea lost to Charlotte at WM. I'm not seeing what this grand storyline for Cody is. So in this chapter we introduce a new World title? A title that if Cody wins it he'll just be looked at as a lame duck and having a participation trophy for not beating Roman? And if it's not that, then he winds up on the same brand as Roman, beats Roman, and now isn't the undisputed champion of the company considering there's another champion on the other brand. 

For Cody, this feels like a lose/lose scenario. The only salvageable scenario is having Cody beat Roman at Summerslam and it's put over more as something like Brock ending Undertaker's streak, like Cody beat the guy who has been unbeatable.

For fans, we're on the losing end too. Already the luster has worn off of Kevin and Sami winning the tag titles. It made for a great moment at WM and then it's been watered down since with Kevin and Sami arguing each week, throwing Riddle into the mix who feels like a total 3rd wheel, and Sami STILL trying to talk Jey out of a gang. This whole shit with Sami trying to talk people out of the Bloodline is getting as played out as the tired story of which Elite friend isn't going to be unfriended next?!? 

And then the absolute worst thing for me as a fan is Seth being the new champion. His gimmick is one I'll never understand.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yeah, I’m really not certain what problem this new world title is supposed to be a solution for? WWE’s business has been going gangbusters for the past year, even with one world champion who often isn’t around. In fact, I think Roman as the one and only God King and the ultimate antagonist was a big factor in the success of Sami and Cody’s stories over the past year. Why are we undermining and diluting that now?

• Like 3

Before the announcement was made I was seeing rumblingz that USA was pissed the only title was mostly on Smackdown, so they wanted something.

Should've thought twice about dumping the 24/7, Haitch. Actions have consequences!

Roman needs more "Triple H 1999 vs TAKA/Jericho" TV matches and less "Triple H 2003 vs RVD/Kane/Booker" PPV matches.

Roman vs Woods, Rey, Ford etc would all be perfectly acceptable TV main events along the way.

• Like 1