DVDVR Message Board

AEW Dynamite - 4/19/2023

The Natural

2 hours ago, Craig H said:

The Elite and BCC segment was really fucking bad. Just the fighting between them was some of the worst "chaotic" brawling I've seen. Again, the striking was just ultra soft. Some of the fighting between Kenny and Mox they weren't even touching each other. 

Maybe talk me off a ledge here, but for as much of Mox has a rep as a brawling guy who lays shit in... I have this impression of him often. 

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Yes, yes they are.  It's a cohesive story that clearly the audience is still into.  Explain what's great about the Pillars story right now?  Sammy and Jungle Boy look like 17-year old high school kids doing a local stage performance out here. No presence on the microphone at all. They shouldn't be put in a position to carry 15 minutes of air time. 

You’re right. Austin Theory totally doesn’t sound like a kid doing “Rent” at theatre camp. 

I didn’t say the Pillars story was great. I said wwe isn’t any better. And it’s not. I will say that other than rolling my eyes every time a Jackson gets to act like a tough guy on AEW tv, the BCC/Elite stuff is more interesting than anything WWE is doing or has done lately.

Edited by just drew
  • Like 2

So yeah the only segment I really enjoyed was Jay White’s match. The rest of the show definitely didn’t feel like a typical Dynamite (in a bad way).

What was the deal with Sammy and MJF? I couldn’t understand what MJF was offering him the check for as it sounded like he told Sammy to lay down last night, yet he helped Sammy win. 

The Jericho/Cole segment was terrible, but despite what some will claim Jericho shit the bed too. Plus why add more women to his group when the two that are already in it get about three minutes of tv time a month? 

And Mox being considered a “great” brawler needs rethinking too. He and Kenny were the least convincing parts of that segment, and to steal a phrase I despise they both looked like “Amateurs”. 

• Like 2

Oh yeah, the Jay White/Kommander match ruled so much.

One of the things that I (and I assume everyone) roll my eyes at the most in wrestling is when someone does some kind of rope-assisted move that requires the victim of the hold to hold onto the hands of his opponent. Because, like, why the hell aren't you just moving your arm? But I really do think Kommander hypnotized Jay White with that crazy ass thing he did. (I know that does not narrow it down.) 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Greggulator said:

Oh yeah, the Jay White/Kommander match ruled so much.

One of the things that I (and I assume everyone) roll my eyes at the most in wrestling is when someone does some kind of rope-assisted move that requires the victim of the hold to hold onto the hands of his opponent. Because, like, why the hell aren't you just moving your arm? But I really do think Kommander hypnotized Jay White with that crazy ass thing he did. (I know that does not narrow it down.) 

I liked how they fit the rope walk into the  AEW delayed gratification house style as they teased it twice. 

Also Jay White, who has never been in the WWE system, doing a chinlock during the commercial break and the fans actually clapping up for Kommander.

I like Spears fine but it’s bad to saddle both the BCG and Starks with him. BUT I did really enjoy White selling the indignity of the numbers. He is a guy who throws his all into what’s going on.

• Like 6

Did they explain why Hayter and Rebel didn't at least try to save Britt?   I understand why Adam Cole doesn't technically have any friends but Britt should have at least one or two.  Hell even Riho with her pipe would have made sense.  

Jade vs Taya next week is going to be some an interesting booking issue.   Jade desperately needs to get to the next level because her being Queen of the Mid Carders has gotten boring as hell.  But Taya is maybe the worst person to have her break the streak.   Again if they are waiting for Statlander then we man this is going to suck because frankly it could not happen.

Edited by hammerva

6 hours ago, John from Cincinnati said:

Maybe talk me off a ledge here, but for as much of Mox has a rep as a brawling guy who lays shit in... I have this impression of him often. 

I’ve thought this about him for awhile, but didn’t want to say it. Thanks for breaking the seal!

• Like 2

Man, shout out to the camera guys and truck, because I completely missed all this Mox/Kenny softness being bandied about (which honestly, I'm thankful for, because I liked that segment a whole lot, and I was already soured by the endless opening segment).

I'll readily admit that I felt a bit of that with Mox toward the end of the WWE run (like, as an example, I'm so glad he rarely does the Nigel rebound clothesline anymore - that was something he did over there that looked like butt 99.99999999% of the time) but again, having missed or not noticed that last night, I'm not ready to commit to the idea

Mox have been trying not to hurt Omega. I’ll have to go back and look but it feels like he’s been laying shit in even more than usual the last few weeks. Seems like that was a real point of emphasis when he switched companies.

• Like 2

So we are all agreed that Sammy will just rip up the check when this is all done and wrestle MJF legit at Double or Nothing?  Sammy is just using MJF to guarantee he'll be in the main event match for a shot at the title, right?

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

I remember when Omega has a timekilling programme with OC and PAC. But of course, they're two of the best workers in the world and Guerrera and Perry are not quite that. Nobody wants to see this 4 way.

I'm not really a Phil guy, but tbh roll on Saturday Night Punk.

Edited by SprintingFromAmerica
  • Like 1

Compare Jay/Komander last night to Sammy/Komander from 2 weeks ago. Jay is SO needed. He is on a different level from everybody besides MJF and Darby in AEW’s 30-and-under club, in terms of being a polished, world class TV performer. Vince really left AEW with a gift.

Notice the precision and lack of wasted motion in what he’s doing. Notice how he sells himself into position for Komander’s stuff. Notice how he is ALWAYS in character and using his character to bring a sense of logic to how the match is progressing (“YOU LIKE TO BE ON THE ROPES, HUH?”). Notice how he builds to Komander’s stuff and gives it meaning, compared to Sammy and Komander doing a thousand high spots, none of which carried half the weight of Komander’s comeback last night.

I mean, you can reference some NJPW threads here from the last several years and find me being critical of Jay’s main event tendencies—and if those come up down the line in AEW, I’m sure I’ll have plenty to say again—but I think he has the potential to be an elite US TV performer.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

The boy was so slow eating dinner and then sooo slow doing homework, we didn't get to start Dynamite until almost an hour in. Ended up being a blessing. Got to FFwd through most of the talking in the intro and the Jericho/Cole stuff.

Why are the "pillars" so goddamn whiny? It's weird that MJF is the only one not being that way. Jack and Darby shouldn't be arguing that they deserve this and that, they should be saying let's fight for it.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Log said:

Why are the "pillars" so goddamn whiny? 

You cannot expect me to give a shit about an "I don't like you because you're aloof in catering" promo when there are dudes trying stab each other with screwdrivers on the same show.

• Like 8
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Log said:

Next week, Arn will cut a "kids these days don't want to work!" promo.

I'm completely unironically for this if Orange Cassidy comes out to reply with an extremely well-prepared, articulate response about stagnant wages and the broken healthcare system and housing market, ala his Jericho debate answer a couple years back

• Like 4
  • Haha 6

I loved the whole Elite / Take-soup interaction during the standing tall spot.   Don Callis was doing his best to broker an alliance but you could smell the reticence. 

Konnosuke was all in because he's a babyface that wants to do good. 

Kenny was having none of that shit. He remembered taking a high knee to the jaw at one point in time from that kid.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, J.T. said:

Kenny was having none of that shit. He remembered taking a high knee to the jaw at one point in time from that kid.

Hangman vs Takeshita II for Kenny's love is gonna rule. 

--

On another topic: with all the talk of how Jay White has lapped the similarly aged pillars, I've been thinking about it for a few minutes, and I think he's someone they really ought to utilize on these new house shows. We were joking before about the generational divide thing, but it made me have the thought: maybe some of the younger guys WOULD have an easier time learning from someone that's I guess more of a 'peer' not just in age, but frame of reference as far as influences and what was popular in the era, and that sort of thing. Like, forget the big 4 that opened the show for a second even: if I read Jay was gonna be wrestling Hook or Andretti in the backwoods of Ohio somewhere, I'd be overjoyed - I think that might be the best possible thing right now for everyone.

• Like 2