DVDVR Message Board

AEW Dynamite - 4/19/2023

The Natural

1 minute ago, elizium said:

I would rather the Bucks revert back to heels and turn on him and Omega instead, if this is leading to some sort of split.

Delete this right now, just in case TK does lurk here. That would set this friendship storyline back fucking months, oh god.

• Haha 1

Some good and some bad. The opening segment sucked. My favorite “this is stupid” moment was Darby being joyous he got a bye because his name was picked out of the hat. Does not feel like the reaction a never say die daredevil face would have. That was the least of the problems. The main event was a great car crash. I would like the MJF bribing Sammy stuff more if it was at the level of a secondary title. But that was at least a fun main event when Jack taking an all-time “what the fuck is wrong with you” bump at the end.

I liked the Woman’s Tag and I love Britt’s home court advantage. But I hate the lack of a referee being important in a tag match is bleeding into things outside of Young Bucks matches. A strong referee makes tag wrestling so much better because it makes heels look so much more diabolical and effective when they are able to bend or break the rules. That match would have been fantastic with a ref actually enforcing the gimmick of a match. A tag match where the ref is actually involved feels more wild when things break down, as opposed to matches just randomly breaking down. Ruby is also absolutely fantastic as a heel. 

In general, I am all about watching a hometown hero get maimed in a ring and am also in favor of when someone is forced to watch their significant other get wrecked. Felt like they could have laid in the violence a bit more on Britt because Britt is crazy. The angle itself was fine and I popped when Ruby et. al emerged from under the ring. I was “eh” on Jamie not showing up. But they can explain that in a segment on Rampage or next week or even on social media — better to do it that way and not to eat up too much TV time.

I loved the payoff of Takeshita’s recruitment tonight. Great evening of the odds. Of course, Hangman is on Team Elite and central to the story. Means BCC needs a fifth. My hopes? Powerhouse Hobbes is a free man…

The one good thing about the TNT title flipping is that it makes OC’s run shine that much more.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, elizium said:

Why you start off the show with an ice cold promo segment, rather than the Britt tag is beyond me.

At this point, I need someone to start a "the network doesn't want the women being the first segment on Dynamite" rumour. Because unless their hands are tied, it makes no sense not to some weeks. 

Just now, John from Cincinnati said:

At this point, I need someone to start a "the network doesn't want the women being the first segment on Dynamite" rumour. Because unless their hands are tied, it makes no sense not to some weeks. 

Even if that were the case, start with Omega and the Bucks coming down and the beatdown. At least it has energy and action to kick off your show.

Even the most rose-coloured glasses viewer can see that the Pillars storyline isn't exactly the hottest thing they have going

• Like 4

1 minute ago, John from Cincinnati said:

I bet Bix could do that for you. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, hobo joe said:

I don't know why they're either not doing a four-way, or setting it up in such a convoluted fashion. Either do a three-way time limit draw or a round robin ending 1-1-1. 

I automatically assumed it would be round robin, and I’m shocked and disappointed that a certified ROHbot like TK went with…this monstrosity instead.

My guess is that MJF will try to fuck over both guys next week, and then TK makes the 4-way anyway.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Dog said:

Say what you will about the TNT bouncing around, but it's neat that with Joe, Wardlow, Hobbs, and now Luchasaurus that it's essentially become the Hoss Title.

Tell us TK still reads the board without telling us TK still reads the board. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, elizium said:

Even if that were the case, start with Omega and the Bucks coming down and the beatdown. At least it has energy and action to kick off your show.

Even the most rose-coloured glasses viewer can see that the Pillars storyline isn't exactly the hottest thing they have going

It could be, if treated correctly and given the time. And possibly remove Sammy and replace him with OC.

But the problem is none of that is happening, and it's another stop-gap feud for MJF. Nobody in their right mind thinks any of this will extend beyond Double or Nothing, and it basically just started a few weeks ago. And then there's the problem of everyone realizing that MJF isn't going to lose the title until at least late this year, sometime next year.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Greggulator said:

My favorite “this is stupid” moment was Darby being joyous he got a bye because his name was picked out of the hat. Does not feel like the reaction a never say die daredevil face would have. I

Yeah, what’s was that? Literally every little thing about this angle was fucked up.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, odessasteps said:

Hey Coach, I have a list of hosses I’d like to see in this angle that aren’t Luchasaurus. It starts with JD Drake.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, John from Cincinnati said:

The one saving grace from the opening segment the ridiculousness of JB saying "go ahead and put it on the blogs." I hope that becomes his catch-phrase.

Somewhere, Scott Keith is just happy that someone remembers about blogs.

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

A quick google search suggests the hoss title pitch is all over Reddit and that Lance Archer has even endorsed the idea. That one escaped the board long ago. 

Edited by John from Cincinnati
Lance Archer, not Lance Storm, whoops

11 minutes ago, Greggulator said:

I loved the payoff of Takeshita’s recruitment tonight. Great evening of the odds. Of course, Hangman is on Team Elite and central to the story. Means BCC needs a fifth. My hopes? Powerhouse Hobbes is a free man…

Takeshita turns. Enter Ibushi.

What really sucks is all this stuff is just gonna be in a holding pattern for the next month. They really need 6-8 “regular” ppvs per year if that’s what they need to get all this stuff moving forward. It would be great if half these feuds could get wrapped up in a special dynamite in a few weeks and some stuff could totally pivot for the ppv. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, John from Cincinnati said:

A quick google search suggests the hoss title pitch is all over Reddit and that Lance Archer has even endorsed the idea. That one escaped the board long ago. 

I know Hobbs and Wardlow aren't at that level as workers yet, but my favorite period of the NEVER Openweight title was seven or eight years ago when it was Ishii, Makabe, Ibushi, Shibata, and Honma and they were like "fuck it...CTE FOR EVERYONE!". It was the mini brawling bad ass hoss division. They didn't need to do the epic 79 minute New Japan main event that takes 15 minutes to warm up and has 37 kickouts/false finishes at the end.

• Like 6

1 minute ago, matt925 said:

What really sucks is all this stuff is just gonna be in a holding pattern for the next month. They really need 6-8 “regular” ppvs per year if that’s what they need to get all this stuff moving forward. It would be great if half these feuds could get wrapped up in a special dynamite in a few weeks and some stuff could totally pivot for the ppv. 

Part of the problem with "holding pattern" is Tony's booking tendencies lead to him protecting too many matches. There's no world where we can get some fun variant on BCC vs Elite each week on TV? Any reason Claudio vs Nick Jackson can't help carry a Dynamite? Kenny and Takeshita vs Moxley and Yuta do a tag and we save the blowoff with the whole gang for the PPV? How about instead of booking the four way, go with two MJF title matches on TV vs Sammy and JB? There are ways to make this soup seem less thin. 

• Like 4