DVDVR Message Board

2023 NHL OFFSEASON

Mister TV

• RIPPA changed the title to 2023 NHL OFFSEASON
  • RIPPA pinned this topic

The Red Wings fired the entire coaching staff of top farm team Grand Rapids. Word is they're unhappy with the development of multiple prospects. 

• 2 weeks later...

Because I have to suffer - there are multiple reports saying the Rangers are going to fire Gerard Gallant and hire Joel Quenneville

As a reminder - any team trying to hire Quenneville would have to get permission from the commissioner's office first due to Quenneville's involvement in the Blackhawks sexual abuse scandal

Rangers and Gerard Gallant have agreed to part ways so that is part one done

BTW - this means all the finalists for the Jack Adams Award from last season are currently not head coaches

Oh never change Flyers

The Flyers have named longtime television analyst Keith Jones their team president of hockey operations and removed the interim tag from general manager Danny Briere's title.

Jones was a surprise choice Thursday after he spent the past 23 years as an analyst for Flyers telecasts on NBC Sports Philadelphia. He worked on national broadcasts on NBC and most recently for TNT's coverage of the NHL in each of the past two seasons.

He broadcast the NHL Winter Classic, the Stanley Cup Final and other league showcase events and spent 21 years on the SportsRadio 94WIP Morning Show.

My Keith Jones story:

After he finished playing college hockey at Western Michigan, he wrote a letter to the school newspaper in which he called the ladies of WMU ugly, etc. He denies it now though. 

For the record, the ladies of WMU were most definitely very attractive, at least to my eyes. 

On 5/11/2023 at 12:07 PM, RIPPA said:

Oh never change Flyers

My decision to follow Giroux to the Panthers (and stay with them after he went to Ottawa) once again pays off.

WELP....

I'm sure very rich people in Salt Lake City, Houston, Austin, and Portland were very interested by the results of the election last night.   I'm sure Quebecers would be too, but it's clear Bettman would rather put a team in Ho Chi Minh City than QC.  

• Like 1

And ended with Wayne Gretzky committing a seen-but-uncalled* major highsticking penalty in perhaps the most blatant example of favoritism ever shown by a referee before scoring the winning goal in a game he should've been kicked out of. Gretzky later repaid the favor by writing the foreword to referee Kerry Fraser's book. 

* - Fraser has long claimed he didn't see the penalty. He's lying. The video shows him clearly looking right at it. 

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

Kyle Dubas will not be returning as Leafs GM

His contract is expiring so technically he is not being fired

Gagging in the playoffs over and over tends to end this way for GMs... 

First time the Leafs get out of the first round in ages so of course they can the GM responsible, who gave the star players everything they asked for.

Easier than unloading the star players I suppose. It's like the Leafs and Oilers have opposite problems. One the stars no show in big moments, the other 2 guys are playing at a historic level but they're surrounded by actual gibberish. Honestly if the Oilers fired Holland into the sun and brought in Dubas I'd be fine with that, but it will never happen.

13 minutes ago, Death From Above said:

First time the Leafs get out of the first round in ages so of course they can the GM responsible, who gave the star players everything they asked for.

Easier than unloading the star players I suppose. It's like the Leafs and Oilers have opposite problems. One the stars no show in big moments, the other 2 guys are playing at a historic level but they're surrounded by actual gibberish. Honestly if the Oilers fired Holland into the sun and brought in Dubas I'd be fine with that, but it will never happen.

Yeah, last year McDavid was on pace to break a Wayne Freaking Gretzky scoring record, they go out anyway.  This year, Draisaitl is playing out his mind, gets slashed into kingdom come, nobody steps up, and bye bye, Edmonton.

There's a reason nobody in Detroit misses the guy.