DVDVR Message Board

The 2023 NBA Playoffs

Dolfan in NYC

I don't have a ton of energy to defend Doc Rivers, and I know the historical narrative is cute to run with every time his teams choke, but I don't know what he's expected to do.

He coaches teams to winning records and gets them to the playoffs. Like Fowler pointed out, James Harden was 3-11. Joel Embiid was 5-18. Both guys have MVP trophies. Doc Rivers can't put the ball in the hoop for them.  I'm sure when Doc Rivers is drawing up plays, he's not saying "And James, here's where you flail about during your shot hoping that a foul is called rather than actually trying to put the ball in the basket."

The guy is only responsible for so much.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jaedmc said:

I don't have a ton of energy to defend Doc Rivers, and I know the historical narrative is cute to run with every time his teams choke, but I don't know what he's expected to do.

He coaches teams to winning records and gets them to the playoffs. Like Fowler pointed out, James Harden was 3-11. Joel Embiid was 5-18. Both guys have MVP trophies. Doc Rivers can't put the ball in the hoop for them.  I'm sure when Doc Rivers is drawing up plays, he's not saying "And James, here's where you flail about during your shot hoping that a foul is called rather than actually trying to put the ball in the basket."

The guy is only responsible for so much.

Doc’s drawing up plays ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

You could tear down Philly to Embiid, Maxey, and Melton, maybe Harris, and whoever you get back for the pieces can get into the playoffs in the East, with or without Doc.  Even Brooklyn limped in with no stars and stayed out of the play-in.

Edited by Contentious C

8 hours ago, Lawful Metal said:

If the Lakers win a chip, does Westbrook get a ring? 

Yes. Or at least, the Lakers said they would offer him and... Uh, somebody else they traded that I don't remember who it was, a ring if they win it all this year. No idea if Westbrook would accept it.

43 minutes ago, Contentious C said:

Jesus, if Jokic can put up quarters like this against the "best playoff defense", I don't think anyone can stop these guys.

19 points, 17 rebounds, 7 assists at the half and the Nuggets are up 18. 

This is definitely taking the edge off the Pistons getting the fifth pick.

Thank you, Nikola. 

Every decade or so there is a player who changes how the NBA is played going forward through there influence, last one being Curry. Jokic is that guy. I think the most terrifying thing about Jokic is young future centers are going to grow up idolizing his game and wanting to do that, and we will get an athletic freak 7 footer who averages 9 assists a game, and the NBA will never have an answer for them.

Not saying what Jokic is doing now in and of itself isn’t incredible. He’s the best player in the world, and I don’t think it’s close. I hope the Nuggets win a title because god he’s a joy to watch.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

AD locked Jokic down in the 4th and the Lakers almost pulled off a once in a lifetime comeback. 

That death glare LeBron gave Reeves on that errant pass though....  oh boy, I wouldn't want to be him right now.

7 hours ago, GuerrillaMonsoon said:

Pat Beverley will also get a ring for his services in leaving.

Thank you. I knew there was someone else relatively famous in the headline and my mind just drew a blank.

That third quarter from the Heat was pretty incredible. Even Kevin Love was out there maximizing his time.

Final five minutes Reggie and SVG were both calling for Tatum to get the ball. It's clutch time, give it to Tatum!

The next three possessions he got were some of the most egregious brain farts you'll see from a superstar player in the playoffs. 

On 5/16/2023 at 9:11 PM, The Man Known as Dan said:

Every decade or so there is a player who changes how the NBA is played going forward through there influence, last one being Curry. Jokic is that guy. I think the most terrifying thing about Jokic is young future centers are going to grow up idolizing his game and wanting to do that, and we will get an athletic freak 7 footer who averages 9 assists a game, and the NBA will never have an answer for them.

Not saying what Jokic is doing now in and of itself isn’t incredible. He’s the best player in the world, and I don’t think it’s close. I hope the Nuggets win a title because god he’s a joy to watch.

Alperen Sengun exists! He’s already Baby Jokic! Hopefully with a real actual NBA coach he’ll get it all unlocked. Or maybe when Harden gets back …

19 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

As Joe Mazzulla noted, the Celtics won 3 of the 4 quarters today.   

Yeah that's a real "how the hell did we lose that game" kinda outcome. 

It's three straight game one road wins for Miami, two straight game one home loses for Boston, and the Celtics are now 11-11 in their last 22 home playoff games.

Miami has to figure out the "protect home court" part that sunk Atlanta and Philly.