DVDVR Message Board

2023 NBA OFFSEASON

Brian Fowler

Suns are reportedly down to a top five coaches list

The team is considering former Philadelphia 76ers head coach Doc Rivers, former Toronto Raptors head coach Nick Nurse, former Los Angeles Lakers head coach Frank Vogel, Sacramento Kings assistant coach Jordi Fernandez and Suns assistant coach Kevin Young, according to Shams Charania of The Athletic.

If it ends up Doc...

• Haha 2

Wizards are hiring Clippers GM Michael Winger to be President of Monumental Basketball which puts him in charge of the Wizards, Mystics and Go-Gos

Still unclear if Winger will hire a GM to server under him

1) I love Nick Nurse and am excited to see what he can do with the Sixers. Aside from the Embiid/Harden pick-and-roll and them actually calling plays for Maxey once a month, I don’t think I ever saw a cohesive offense at all under Doc. Nurse throws so much weird stuff and I love it. I think the Raptors lost Kawhi/aged out/signed a weird roster of guys. Nurse with an MVP candidate has a track record.

2) Salary cap tax implications aside, Boston is nuts if they trade Brown or don’t give him an extension. Making it to a Game 7 in the conference finals a year after making the finals is really friggin’ good.

2 hours ago, Greggulator said:

2) Salary cap tax implications aside, Boston is nuts if they trade Brown or don’t give him an extension. Making it to a Game 7 in the conference finals a year after making the finals is really friggin’ good.

I feel like that's the fool's gold trap that the Celtics have been falling in for this entire current run. Can Brown and Tatum play together? Sure. Are they complimentary players? No. Most of all I don't think either one is consistently good enough to make up for that fact, at least in the post-season. I think, even if you might have a short-term regression, you move on from Brown

• Like 2

It's not just the tax anymore either. Starting next summer, teams over the "second apron" are going to be hit with some really severe roster building limitations. No MLE whatsoever, can't aggregate salaries in a trade, some other things. If they give Brown ~295 and then Tatum 300 and whatever it ends up at, they are going to be awfully close to the aprons every year.

11 hours ago, RIPPA said:

And the Knicks now need a GM as they will not be extending Scott Perry a new deal

Well that's odd. He's cleared out most of the dead weight contracts, rebuilt the team, got a couple playoff appearances and even won a round this year. Seems like he earned a new deal and decent raise for my pov.

11 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

Well that's odd. He's cleared out most of the dead weight contracts, rebuilt the team, got a couple playoff appearances and even won a round this year. Seems like he earned a new deal and decent raise for my pov.

This is from Newsday so its not worth the paper its printed on but

However, Perry’s influence in the front office has waned as executive VP William Wesley and senior basketball consultant Gerrson Rosas have taken a bigger role in personnel moves.

6 hours ago, Zimbra said:

Brad Stevens (via the Boston Globe) says Joe Mazzulla will be back as coach next year.  I really figured he would be gone.

My guess is he saved his job by rallying to force game 7. If they had gotten swept and that game 3 disaster was the lasting memory he might be gone.

12 hours ago, LF2 said:

I can’t believe they’re making him the highest paid coach in league history. That was the bigger shock to me.

Gotta spend to get people to live in Detroit during the winter I guess.

• Like 2

Former Marquette coach Steve Wojciechowski begins his transition to coaching in the NBA as he has agreed to coach the Utah Jazz's G League affiliate, the Salt Lake City Stars

The word you're looking for is "lol shams"

Not since Peter Gammons has there been someone who will repeat exactly what his player sources says without an ounce of credulity or skepticism.  It's amazing. 

Lakers fans that have been trying to sell the idea of DLo for Kyrie are in hell right now.

Joking aside, the math makes Bron to Dallas almost impossible. Between he, Kyrie and Luka, they would take up literally the entire payroll.

2 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

The word you're looking for is "lol shams"

Not since Peter Gammons has there been someone who will repeat exactly what his player sources says without an ounce of credulity or skepticism.  It's amazing. 

Isnt that tampering?