DVDVR Message Board

2023 NBA OFFSEASON

Brian Fowler

Seriously, the NBA draft lottery has existed since 1985. The Pistons were in it a lot in the nineties and almost every year the last decade and a half.

They've had good lottery luck literally once.

But the fucking San Antonio Spurs have landed the number 1 pick where there just happens to be a 7' or taller generational prospect three fucking times.

• Like 1

Chris Haynes is reporting that James Harden is going to decline his player option.   

He wants a team with "a competitive roster" and wants "the basketball freedom" to be himself.  

The Knicks it is!  

• Haha 1

Candidates for the Sixers job include Sam Cassell, Mike D'Antoni, Monty WIlliams, Mike Buttonholeser, Jeff Van Gundy, Stan Van Gundy, Bernie Bickerstaff, Dick Versace, Dick Motta, Dick Harter, DIck Vitale, and the annual plea to Jay Wright.

Meanwhile, the best idea I have heard is the grass roots campaign among Sixers fans to get the team to hire Philly legend Dawn Staley...

And the worst idea I have heard is former Sixers player and current media talking head/apologist for douchenozzley millenial fans who think Magic, BIrd, and Jordan all sucked cause they didn't get triple doubles like Westbrook, JJ Redick...

On one hand, Embiid makes the job enticing by himself.

On the other, the "we either lose Harden for nothing with no real path to replace his scoring and passing or we sign him for 4 years and $200 million because we have no path to replace him" situation is.. not pleasant.

20 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

Seriously, the NBA draft lottery has existed since 1985. The Pistons were in it a lot in the nineties and almost every year the last decade and a half.

They've had good lottery luck literally once.

But the fucking San Antonio Spurs have landed the number 1 pick where there just happens to be a 7' or taller generational prospect three fucking times.

On the one hand, you're not supposed to need the #1 overall two years after getting the #1 overall. On the other hand, San Antonio has had some remarkably convenient luck. 

• Like 1

It's not like I actually think they rig the lottery for the Spurs. I mean, it's the third largest media market for a team in their own state.

It's just damn frustrating that they keep winning the lottery when generational talents at center come available. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Zimbra said:

The NBA draft lottery being fixed is like the one conspiracy theory that I wholeheartedly believe.

I wouldn't bet my life that at least one lottery has been rigged but I wouldn't bet my life one hasn't been either. 

• Like 2

Other than Ewing to New York and Cleveland getting the top pick as soon as LeBron bolted, they are doing a damn strange job of rigging it for the 24th biggest media market in the league to keep getting the top pick at the right time.

But fucking hell the Pistons wind up with the worst possible outcome somehow and it sucks.

• Like 1

Don't forget 2008 when the Bulls got the #1 pick with like a 1% chance when Derrick Rose was the top pick.

I don't think they do it every year, but there are definitely some that I wonder about.

Yeah, I don't think they fix everything, but I do think that they put a good deal of effort into making sure that the Lakers win at least a couple titles a decade...of the big 4 the NBA definitely caters the most to bandwagon fans...

4 hours ago, Zimbra said:

Don't forget 2008 when the Bulls got the #1 pick with like a 1% chance when Derrick Rose was the top pick.

I don't think they do it every year, but there are definitely some that I wonder about.

Orlando getting Shaq and Webber back-to-back...

I don't think there's fixing simply because I feel like something would've leaked at some point about it, buuuuuuut...

If there was a fix, San Antonio would be a smart choice. If the NBA views Wenby as their future, it would be nice for him to get his start with one of the best coaches in history and in an organization that is not a mess. Despite market size, there's hardly any better options for a young player to develop than with the Spurs.

5 hours ago, Log said:

I don't think there's fixing simply because I feel like something would've leaked at some point about it, buuuuuuut...

I mean, Tim Donaghy - paragon of virtue - says they fix things, specifically Fowler's favorite 2002 playoff game... 

Edited by Tabe
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, ohtani's jacket said:

There is ZERO chance Jimmy stays on that Rockets team. Jimmy, Chris Paul and James Harden co-existing? Forget about it. 

There's only one ball to go around those three dudes. And as Rasheed Wallace once said, "Ball don't lie."

• Like 1

Raptors are meeting with Steve Nash about the head coaching job and I just to have to ask; did we get any evidence whatsoever from his stint in Brooklyn that he's a good coach?

I'm not blaming him for everything that went wrong, but... I didn't see a lot of reasons to give him another head job without at least some time on a staff somewhere first