DVDVR Message Board

UFC 287: Pereira vs Adesanya II (04/04/2023) - Miami, FL (Kaseya Center)

Elsalvajeloco

FrQDwD1WwAAcgc-.jpg?1678906169

UFC 287: Pereira vs. Adesanya II
April 8, 2023
Miami, FL (Kaseya Center)

UFC Middleweight Championship: Alex Pereira © (185) vs. Israel Adesanya (184.5) (first defense) - Adesanya, KO (punches), R2 (4:21)
Gilbert Burns (170) vs. Jorge Masvidal (171) - Burns, DEC (unanimous)
Rob Font (135) vs. Adrian Yanez (135.5) - Font, TKO (punches), R1 (2:57)
Kevin Holland (170.5) vs. Santiago Ponzinibbio (171) - Holland, KO (punch), R3 (3:16)
Raul Rosas Jr. (135) vs. Christian Rodriguez (137)* - Rodriguez, DEC (unanimous)

ESPN / ESPN+ Preliminary Card:
Kelvin Gastelum (185) vs. Chris Curtis (186) - Gastelum, DEC (unanimous)
Michelle Waterson-Gomez (116) vs. Luana Pinheiro (115.5) - Pinheiro, DEC (split)
Gerald Meerschaert (185.5) vs. Joe Pyfer (185.5) - Pyfer, TKO (punches), R1 (3:15)
Cynthia Calvillo (116) vs. Lupita Godinez (115.5) - Godinez, DEC (split)

ESPN+ / Fight Pass Preliminary Card:
Ignacio Bahamondes (159.5) vs. Trey Ogden (159.5) - Bahamondes, DEC (unanimous)
Shayilan Nuerdanbieke (146) vs. Steve Garcia (145.5) - Garcia, KO (body kick and punches), R2 (0:36)
Jaqueline Amorim (115.5) vs. Sam Hughes (116) - Hughes, DEC (unanimous)

*Forfeits 20% of purse for missing weight 

Event Bonuses ($50,000)
Performance of the Night: Rob Font
Performance of the Night: Israel Adesanya
Fight of the NightKelvin Gastelum vs. Chris Curtis

Attendance: 19,032
Gate: $11.9 million

• Like 1

• Elsalvajeloco changed the title to UFC 287: Pereira vs Adesanya II (04/04/2023) - Miami, FL (Kaseya Center)
5 hours ago, twiztor said:

FYI Chase Sherman has a 3-10 UFC record. i was wondering how he is the B side of the fight despite me not ever hearing of his opponent. that will do it.

I am a tad bit biased since he is technically the person closest to my area of the country that I grew up in to have fought in the UFC (since Alan Belcher and Rampage). However, I admitted he was basically UFC enhancement talent awhile ago. If you cannot beat him, you don't belong in the UFC same as him. However, if you do beat him, it doesn't necessarily mean you deserve to be in the UFC but it means you aren't completely awful like some of the HWs that have gotten into the UFC on less.

Masvidal could always pull out some magic but Gilbert Burns seems like the exact guy who would officially murders the mystique of Gamebred. If Burns decides he wants to loop some punches looking for KO, while leaving his face on the center line, then he's going to be in trouble. But based on interviews I think he knows exactly where he's taking this and I don't think he'll be stopped.

Not sure what to think about Adesanya. Everything he's been saying sounds great and motivational, but he's approached this fucking Frankenstein 3 times and none of it matters.

Loopy Godinez last fought Angela Hill who was on a 3 fight skid and lost. Now she gets Cavillo who is on a 4 fight losing streak. So who knows.

Chase Sherman still collecting checks. Love it. What I don't love is that Chris Barnett had to drop out of this fight. That shit was going to be electric. Karl Williams doesn't KO much for a heavyweight soooo maybe Chase has a chance?

Lots of fun matchups throughout the undercard.

Kelvin Gastelum vs. Chris Curtis might steal the show.

For some reason, I don't see that much in Loopy. I don't get the hype coming in. She has a couple decent wins and that's being nice cause Loma can be fighting at 105 she's that small and Ariane Carnelossi is just half decent. Calvillo has been trending down for awhile now. I am not sure how much that win would mean.

53 minutes ago, jaedmc said:

Not sure what to think about Adesanya. Everything he's been saying sounds great and motivational, but he's approached this fucking Frankenstein 3 times and none of it matters.

There are remarkably few fighters that can successfully and consistently avenge convincing losses to an opponent.  Some guys are just horrible match-up for you or simply have your number.     I am not sure that this is something that Izzy can overcome stylistically.   Watching the fights and studying up on possible gaps in Pereira's game can't hurt but I think this is an internal demon that Izzy is going to have to exorcise himself.

This guy had KOed Adesanya twice and also holds a UD win over him.

Edited by J.T.

2 hours ago, J.T. said:

There are remarkably few fighters that can successfully and consistently avenge convincing losses to an opponent.  Some guys are just horrible match-up for you or simply have your number.     I am not sure that this is something that Izzy can overcome stylistically.   Watching the fights and studying up on possible gaps in Pereira's game can't hurt but I think this is an internal demon that Izzy is going to have to exorcise himself.

This guy had KOed Adesanya twice and also holds a UD win over him.

Based on how the MMA fight played out, I think he's in a much better spot than say...Julianna Pena and she actually won the first fight. The second fight with Amanda played out exactly how folks thought the first fight would (much like Rahman vs. Lewis II did). UFC just made the third fight today, and I expect it to go the same way as the 2nd fight.

I don't think it's like a Shane Mosley vs. Vernon Forrest thing where as Emanuel Steward put it, Vernon Forrest always had Shane's number going back to when they were teenagers in the amateurs and the style matchup was just terrible for Shane even though Shane's pro career prior their first fight was way more impressive than Vernon's at that point. There is a similar arc (though Pereira's kickboxing career stopped him from getting into MMA full time) with Izzy becoming a big star for the UFC. However, if Alex was that much better, he would not have looked as frustrated and bedeviled throughout the fight. 

I think it's a gameplan issue and not a stylistic issue.

• Like 1

Must win for Adesanya having lost 3 times to Pereira, twice in kickboxing and the other in MMA. I think it'll be 4. Last time was interesting as Pereira was rocked with the horn to end round 1 probably saving him and the power Pereira has leading to a standing barrage that Goddard stopped the fight from.

Edited by The Natural

13 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

I think it's a gameplan issue and not a stylistic issue.

Could be both?
Izzy likes to lean back and make people miss then snipe them. that's the style. I remember watching the first Whittaker fight and thinking the difference between Izzy winning and getting KO'd was two inches. Rob's winging punches were always just too short.

Pereira closes that gap in a way no one else who fights Izzy does. And he can do it with the cage or without. The first kickboxing KO was in the middle of the ring and was that tight left hook. Izzy had his guard up for it, but Pereira was close enough to slip it in on the inside. The last fight Periera was in his face again and the left came when Izzy tried to get away but was impeded by the cage. This time it was behind Izzy's guard.

Pereira thinks he can get away with it because he's willing to eat those shots coming in, but we all saw the end of the 1st round when it looked like he got saved by the bell.

So my two questions going into this fight are: can Pereira's chin hold up long enough to land that KO on Izzy?

and

Will Izzy decide to grapple more to decrease Pereira's chances of landing on the feet?

So to your point Izzy has a better chance of winning because he has the tools to execute a successful gameplan. But that gameplan is not his default style, and if he goes default, Pereira's odds are better than anyone else's who've ever stood with Stylebender.

• Like 1

Early prelim already coming hot. In the first round, Sam Hughes denied about 4 different chokes that were absolutely sunk in around her throat. Lost the round obviously, but really gutsy shit.

I said Gastelum and Curtis might steal the show and they definitely set the bar for the main card. Both guys got 50K coming for sure.

Kelvin like he had so much swagger back, which he hasn't had in a couple years.

Great fight.

EDIT

Post fight promo so hype Kelvin got me wanting to run head first into a brick wall LET'S GOOOO

• Like 1