DVDVR Message Board

THE AFTERMATH - WWE TV - 4/3 - 4/9/2023

Dolfan in NYC

So someone put it out there that a Brock and Cody feud was planned a month ago before Vince was anywhere close to creative. Don't get me wrong, I think Cody is a nice fresh program for Brock but I find it hard to believe that wasn't Vinces idea.

I totally see Brock not wanting to do a big angle if Vince doesn't put his 2 cents in it. Much like everyone believes is why he wanted to work Omos over Bray at Mania.

Why would someone feel the need to put it out there that it wasn't Vince's idea to run Cody vs Brock unless you are trying to continue assure the a certain section of audience that Hunter is still the head booker. They are trying to hard especially with having Hunter go out and rally the crowd.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Ziggy said:

So someone put it out there that a Brock and Cody feud was planned a month ago before Vince was anywhere close to creative. Don't get me wrong, I think Cody is a nice fresh program for Brock but I find it hard to believe that wasn't Vinces idea.

I totally see Brock not wanting to do a big angle if Vince doesn't put his 2 cents in it. Much like everyone believes is why he wanted to work Omos over Bray at Mania.

I think it is very easy to believe that Vince was the point man on everything Brock while HHH was running both shows. He's clearly very loyal to Vince (he was very angry when he initially stepped down) and is only ever gonna do what he wants to do, if it turned out he wasn't exactly sold on Hunter and was more comfortable dealing with Vince would anyone really be that surprised?

This isn't to say that the circumstances of the Cody/Brock feud, such as if Cody was champ and how they got to it, didn't change several times since then. TBH if Cody is champ everything that happened on Raw makes a ton more sense...

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, username said:

This isn't to say that the circumstances of the Cody/Brock feud, such as if Cody was champ and how they got to it, didn't change several times since then. TBH if Cody is champ everything that happened on Raw makes a ton more sense...

I just seen somewhere that Cody’s merch is continuing to do really really well which would have made even more sense to put the belt on him Sunday.

It's funny that some people still think it was a possibility of fans turning on him. I know Cody's still happy to be back an clearly the top Babyface. He wasn't going to vetiver the finish of the Mania match but given the reception and the sells of his merchandisHe's got to believe he's the next in line for the title 

29 minutes ago, username said:

TBH if Cody is champ everything that happened on Raw makes a ton more sense...

1000%

Yet Heyman's telling people "the story would have nowhere to go" if Cody won.  Except for.. exactly where it did go.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, DreamBroken said:

1000%

Yet Heyman's telling people "the story would have nowhere to go" if Cody won.  Except for.. exactly where it did go.

What Heyman means is his guy would no longer be the sole focus of both shows. That we’d move beyond the Bloodline being the only main event storyline. Which guess what at this point they do need to make more main eventers. 

I don’t get the defenders that say this angle was great, because it’s “made stars”. Who has it made? Jey’s still predominantly a tag guy, KO main evented night one of Mania last year, Cody would be main eventing without it. The only one it’s added to a push for is Sami, and that’s about to be done (other than the tag title run). 

Edited by LF2
  • Like 1

On 4/5/2023 at 10:46 PM, Dolfan in NYC said:

These are the only ratings that matter.   

Watch the extremely rare Dexter Lumis break!  

Man, I know others say this but I really want to like this more than once.  Everything about that was...well...a 10.

Since I didn't see this thread from Tuesday I just want to add I very much love that Melo is a face.  He's been getting the love the past couple months anyway since he stopped insulting the crowd as much and was still himself.  The guy just screams big-time star and of all the NXT folks I would make sure he's the one most protected when called up.  Plus since Bron was getting boos anyway recently the heel turn makes sense.  Going off the moves he did Tuesday if it leads to a more vicious side that can only help his chances of success going forward.

9 hours ago, Ziggy said:

I just seen somewhere that Cody’s merch is continuing to do really really well which would have made even more sense to put the belt on him Sunday.

It's funny that some people still think it was a possibility of fans turning on him. I know Cody's still happy to be back an clearly the top Babyface. He wasn't going to vetiver the finish of the Mania match but given the reception and the sells of his merchandisHe's got to believe he's the next in line for the title 

I don't think merch sales mean nothing, but I also don't think it heavily moves the needle in the McMahon world. There have been other examples over the years (Rusev Day being a noted one) where merch sales went up for a wrestler but it didn't lead to much. Don't get me wrong, I am sure they love strong merch sales but I don't know how heavily that factors into who they decide to push.

2 hours ago, Kevin Wilson said:

I don't think merch sales mean nothing, but I also don't think it heavily moves the needle in the McMahon world. There have been other examples over the years (Rusev Day being a noted one) where merch sales went up for a wrestler but it didn't lead to much. Don't get me wrong, I am sure they love strong merch sales but I don't know how heavily that factors into who they decide to push.

Probably not since they became a multi billion dollar company but wasn't the reason for not turning Cena heel because they thought it would effect merch sales with the Children and Women audience?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Ziggy said:

Probably not since they became a multi billion dollar company but wasn't the reason for not turning Cena heel because they thought it would effect merch sales with the Children and Women audience?

Partly that, but more he (correctly) didn’t want it to cause his Make A Wish workload to be lessened. 

I may not have always liked his character, but just for that alone Cena is a hell of a man. Anyone granting over 650 wishes is a good guy in my book.

2 hours ago, LF2 said:

Partly that, but more he (correctly) didn’t want it to cause his Make A Wish workload to be lessened. 

I may not have always liked his character, but just for that alone Cena is a hell of a man. Anyone granting over 650 wishes is a good guy in my book.

I giggled for far too long when my partner said, "So, is this match Cena fulfilling a wish for Theory?"

• Haha 9

WWE Draft, there was no draft in 2022.

The heat Dom gets is great.

Combining info, WademKeller and other dirtsheet and newz writers were saying no Vince at Smackdown, but minor edits by Vince remotely.

Eight minutes and we get the Brawling Brutes versus Imperium!  HHH! HHH! HHH! We kill time until Sheamus and GUNTHER get in the ring!  Giovanni Vinci is our secret Super Wrestler!  And he hits a BEAUTIFUL Brainbuster!  GUNTHER beats on Butch!  Ridge Holland hits some suplexes and we all are on edge.  GREAT SUWA DROPKICK BY GUNTHER!  GUNTHER and Sheamus make with the HOSSNESS we were waiting for!  Sheamus with an Air Raid Crash for two!  All kinds of things happen!  Vinci gets kicked in the face!  Sheamus wins!  That was fun!  Ricochet and Non-Bald Viking Raider are going to have a strange match.  IVAR!  His name is Ivar!  Ivar CRUSHES Ricochet against the side of the ring!  Ricochet is being overpowered and overfatted!  Ivar goes to the top and Ricochet catches him and hits the Toprope Frankensteiner!  Ricochet hits a really pretty Shooting Star Press for the win!  That was good!  Liv Morgan and Raquel Rodriguez take on Shotzy and Natalya!  Liv and Raquel do a VARIATION of a Doomsday Device and Decapitation!  Shotzi kinda houseshows Liv Morgan's finisher.  That was fine.  It's Dominik and Damien Priest versus Rey Mysterio and Santos Escobar of the LWO!  Damien Priest is our SECRET Super Wrestler!  Dominik is so fucking great.  He IS the new Eddie Gilbert.  Rey makes his son look like a million bucks/a total killer.  Escobar does the Stuka Jr Plancha!   DOUBLE TOPES!  This match is great!   Dominik catches Rey mid-hot tag with a Michinoku Driver!  Zelina hits Rhea with a Rana!  Priest with a Chokeslam for the win!  That was great!  It's Sami Zayn versus Jey Uso!  They wrestle for a few minutes.  Solo Sikoa shows up!  HOLY SHIT! ZAYN HOIT A TOPROPE EXPLOIDER! Other than that,  Zayn is wrestling total Terry Funk-style. SUPERKICK BY JEY FOR TWO!  Exploider into the corner by Sami!  BLUE THUNDER BOMB!  Which has never finished anybody off!  That I've seen!  SAMOAN SPIKE BY SOLO!  Jey gets the win!  POSTMATCH, Matt Riddle saves Sami Zayn?  Okay!  That was a fucking great episode.  HHH! HHH! HHH!

• Like 4

Reading some people speculating "what if the draft is used as a way to split Roman's titles"... which would be kinda stupid to go with a bureaucratic avenue to get a title off of Roman. There's not really any sort of good way to do it and essentially the non-Roman World Champ would be the B Champ. Then again, they'll probably do it better than the post-Summerslam 2002 Brock/HHH split.

Considering the new old creative overlord of the WWE, there's probably pretty good odds that they're about to bury some of the work they've been doing with the US/IC titles in favor of running back to how they did things for years.

7 minutes ago, Cobra Commander said:

Reading some people speculating "what if the draft is used as a way to split Roman's titles"... which would be kinda stupid to go with a bureaucratic avenue to get a title off of Roman. There's not really any sort of good way to do it and essentially the non-Roman World Champ would be the B Champ. Then again, they'll probably do it better than the post-Summerslam 2002 Brock/HHH split.

Considering the new old creative overlord of the WWE, there's probably pretty good odds that they're about to bury some of the work they've been doing with the US/IC titles in favor of running back to how they did things for years.

As deflated as the Audience was at that finish against Cody, A decision like that would probably kill the town lol. 

They could've put one of the titles on Sami at EC or Drew in Cardiff or Cody at Mania. Whichever title he beat Brock for he could drop and Still have the title he already had and still make the 1000 days on however long.

They already teased Bianca vs Rhea so when it does happen it's probably going to be a Unification matching , so that another indication they don't want to Separate the Men's main titles. 

Them doing the draft explains why we didn't get and call-ups this week 

• Like 1

Brutes vs. Imperium was good stuff as expected.

Raquel/Liv vs. Shotzi/Nattie was short but decent while it lasted.

Ricochet/Ivar was fun match. Kind of surprised they didn't emphasize Ivar's power a bit more.

Rey/Santos vs. Dom/Priest was nice. The pre match promo from Judgement Day was nothing amazing, but I loved Dom bsing why he lost to Rey. The heat for Dom was tremendous, and even Priest got quite a bit of hate for the Bad Bunny attack. I kind of fear for the two in Puerto Rico but am still pretty stoked for whatever WWE has planned with them, Rey, and Bad Bunny. 

Jey/Sami was a solid match as expected. Dug segments throughout the show and how they played into the match and post match. Will be interesting to see if things between Sami and Jey stop here or if this was more of a slow down. Still feels like an eventual Jey turn has to be coming. 

The Draft returning was expected. I assume Judgement Day moves to Smackdown for Rhea. Also guessing many of the women get switched around to freshen things up. This should also be where we likely see at least a few NXT call ups like Waller and Stark come into play. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Eivion said:

I kind of fear for the two in Puerto Rico but am still pretty stoked for whatever WWE has planned with them, Rey, and Bad Bunny.

Sometimes you just have to accept being pelted with diapers, rocks and batteries.

• Haha 3

5 hours ago, DEAN said:

Sometimes you just have to accept being pelted with diapers, rocks and batteries.

The type of gear Dom's been wearing he can have most of his body covered and wear a mask to mock Rey.

He's life MJF, he goes out his way to get heat. They probably have to tell him to tone it down headed in to PR.

• Like 1