DVDVR Message Board

April 2023 Wrestling Discussion

Here's a random question for the wrestling historians: is Roman Reigns the longest-reigning heel world champion of all time?

I'm pretty sure he has the record for WWWF/WWF/WWE, as the really long title reigns all went to babyfaces - Bruno, Backlund, Hogan. The NWA title generally changed hands more often (at least in the era I'm familiar with), so I'd be surprised if it had any heel reigns longer than a couple of years. The AWA I know little about.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, tbarrie said:

Here's a random question for the wrestling historians: is Roman Reigns the longest-reigning heel world champion of all time?

I'm pretty sure he has the record for WWWF/WWF/WWE, as the really long title reigns all went to babyfaces - Bruno, Backlund, Hogan. The NWA title generally changed hands more often (at least in the era I'm familiar with), so I'd be surprised if it had any heel reigns longer than a couple of years. The AWA I know little about.

Harley Race held the NWA title for 926 days starting in 1977.  Reigns has held the Universal for 949.

EDIT:  HOLY SHIT!  Nick Bockwinkle held the AWA title for 1714 days starting in 1975.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Cibernetico held the IWC Heavyweight Championship in AAA for 2554 days starting in 2000.

EDIT:  El Terrible held the National Heavyweight Championship for 1062 starting in 2018.

• Like 1

The Fabulous Moolah held the NWA Women's Championship for 3651 days, 3841 days and 1909 days between 1956 and 1978.

EDIT: Bull Nakano held the WWWA World Single Championship for 1057 days starting in 1990.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, DEAN said:

The Fabulous Moolah held the NWA Women's Championship for 3651 days, 3841 days and 1909 days between 1956 and 1978.

EDIT: Bull Nakano held the WWWA World Single Championship for 1057 days starting in 1990.

Was Bull a heel on the back end of that? She was definitely a heel when she won it. However, she held it so long that by the time she lost it, she was kinda like this tweener who would be against both the white meat babyface girls/youngsters and also the heels who broke off from her group she inherited from Dump like Aja and Bison.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Was Bull a heel on the back end of that? She was definitely a heel when she won it. However, she held it so long that by the time she lost it, she was kinda like this tweener who would be against both the white meat babyface girls/youngsters and also the heels who broke off from her group she inherited from Dump like Aja and Bison.

I'm declaring it a HEEL RUN!  She had big hair the whole time= heel!

• Haha 2

Watching the 80th Anniversary of Arena Coliseo card cause why do I even need wrestling not on YouTube. Not even past the opener. You know who still RULES in 2023? Shockercito and Ultimo Dragoncito.

There's so many wrestlers who rule. They come from all over in all shapes n sizes n ages n gimmicks. The best part about wrestling, without a DOUBT, is wrestlers.

• Like 9

6 hours ago, DEAN said:

Oh yeah, I forgot the standard "other than Moolah" clause you're supposed to include whenever you talk about long title reigns.

• Like 4

Was tooling around Amazon Prime when I noticed that they have the Vampiro movie Night Warrior (or Warrior of the Night as it is also called in the credits). I only watched the first couple minutes just to get it into my Continue Watching list (I’m in the middle of a rewatch of the Rocky movies) but in that 3 minutes appear Art Barr! Haku! Pirata Morgan! Ultimo Dragon! And NORMAN SMILEY!  Very excited to get back to it at some point this weekend, especially since the villain, who seems to employ Pierroth Jr, looks like Mexican Michael Ironside

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Was Moolah actually defending the title all those years?  

Cagematch has 9 pages results going back to the late 50s and it seemed like she was defending it pretty regularly. I’m sure it’s missing hundreds of matches too.

And holy shit, Moolah might have the best win percentage in wrestling history. I guess when you’re booking yourself, it shouldn’t be surprising 

• Like 2

On 4/3/2023 at 2:13 PM, supremebve said:

Here's the thing about Dave's opinions,  they're clearly opinions,  except since he was one of the few people covering wrestling seriously,  a lot of people take his opinions as fact. Dave has probably done more for people critically thinking about wrestling than anyone in history,  but that doesn't mean anything he says is right. Dave can be a fucking moron about a lot of shit,  and I'm fine with that,  because everybody is a fucking moron about a lot of shit. The fact that there is value in going back and reading his opinions 10+ years after the fact days everything about his opinions I need to know. His opinion might differ from mine,  but after I watch some random wrestling match,  he's the only person who's opinion I'd seek out. 

I do this with Roger Ebert and movies

Amazing matches by WALTER/GUNTHER, I'd rank as follows in WWE:

10. WALTER vs. Pete Dunne. NXT TakeOver: New York. ****1/2.

9. WALTER vs. Ilja Dragunov. NXT UK TV, 29th October 2020. ****1/2.

8. Imperium vs. Undisputed Era. Worlds Collide 2020. ****1/2.

7. WALTER vs. Tommaso Ciampa. NXT TakeOver: Stand and Deliver. ****3/4.

6. GUNTHER vs. Ricochet. WWE Smackdown, 16th December 2022. ****3/4.

5. WALTER vs. Ilja Dragunov. NXT TakeOver XXXVI. *****.

4. WALTER vs. Tyler Bate. NXT UK TakeOver: Cardiff. *****.

3. WALTER vs. Cesaro. WWE Live, 8th November 2021. *****.

2. GUNTHER vs. Sheamus vs. Drew McIntyre. WWE WrestleMania XXXIX Night 2. *****.

1. GUNTHER vs. Sheamus. WWE Clash at the Castle 2022. *****.

Edited by The Natural

22 minutes ago, The Natural said:

Amazing matches by WALTER/GUNTHER, I'd rank as follows in WWE:

10. WALTER vs. Pete Dunne. NXT TakeOver: New York.

9. WALTER vs. Ilja Dragunov. NXT UK TV, 29th October 2020.

8. Imperium vs. Undisputed Era. Worlds Collide 2020.

7. WALTER vs. Tommaso Ciampa. NXT TakeOver: Stand and Deliver.

6. GUNTHER vs. Ricochet. WWE Smackdown, 16th December 2022.

5. WALTER vs. Ilja Dragunov. NXT TakeOver XXXVI. *****.

4. WALTER vs. Tyler Bate. NXT UK TakeOver: Cardiff. *****.

3. WALTER vs. Cesaro. WWE Live, 8th November 2021. *****.

2. GUNTHER vs. Sheamus vs. Drew McIntyre. WWE WrestleMania XXXIX Night 2. *****.

1. GUNTHER vs. Sheamus. WWE Clash at the Castle 2022. *****.

I wish he got way more shine in the Survivor Series '19 tag. It should have been Keith Lee's breakout performance. He killed it but Vince didn't see enough to follow up. Bit as far as Gunther, as great as that match was, I was let down that he didn't get much time to show what he could do on the main roster. Then again it wouldn't have made a difference at that particular time anyway because Hunter didn't want them off NXT

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Ziggy said:

I wish he got way more shine in the Survivor Series '19 tag. It should have been Keith Lee's breakout performance. He killed it but Vince didn't see enough to follow up. Bit as far as Gunther, as great as that match was, I was let down that he didn't get much time to show what he could do on the main roster. Then again it wouldn't have made a difference at that particular time anyway because Hunter didn't want them off NXT

I thought the story was Walter didn’t want to move to the US? I could have sworn they said Vince wanted him here, and he wasn’t ready to move until a year or two later (when they put him on NXT weekly). 

Walter's then-wife refused to move to America. But then they got divorced and he started dating Ginny instead.