DVDVR Message Board

MLB 2023 - 1ST HALF

Dolfan in NYC

30 minutes ago, hammerva said:

showing my serious ignorance on this air situation but how much better would it be if the game was on at night?  Obviously playing in the sun with this soup of air is a bad idea

It is supposed to be "better" (relative term) this evening but it will linger into tomorrow morning.

I think that (playing tonight) would have been the preferred option but Arizona has to be in Detroit tomorrow and Washington is going to Atlanta so it wouldn't surprise me if MLB gave the clubs the choice and they went with giving up an off day later this month rather than have a miserable travel experience

Pete Alonso was hit on the wrist by a pitch on Wednesday and it now appears he is going on the IL

X-rays are negative but he is going for a MRI this morning

There are some in the Mets organization that fear "he will be out weeks"

I will fix the embed when I can but basically everyone has figured out that the folks in Philly run their pitch clock faster than anyone else

Nola revealed what has become a prevailing conspiracy theory within the Phillies clubhouse. It sounded a little wild. How would the pitch clock be quicker at Citizens Bank Park than anywhere else?

“It just seems a lot faster, you know?” righty Taijuan Walker said. “You just got the ball and you look up and there’s only 10 seconds left.”

"Our clock?” veteran utilityman Josh Harrison said. “The fastest.”

“We haven’t played everywhere, but you’re calibrated to a certain thing,” Phillies pitching coach Caleb Cotham said. “Everyone starts to feel the nuance of what an extra second or two means. It does feel like the clock is fastest here. And that is very subjective.”

It is, but there are objective ways of measuring it. And the data, so far, supports their theories: There have been more timer violations per game at Citizens Bank Park this season than any other major-league ballpark, according to research by STATS Perform. The data was compiled through Wednesday’s games.

The number of violations here is such an outlier that the gap between Citizens Bank Park and the stadium with the second-most is the same as the difference between second and 10th place. The numbers could even out over time but, right now, it is statistically significant.

The Phillies had a bunch of vaccine conspiracy dudes last year, so let's consider the possibility that they're a bit crazy. But it's possible to timestamp these things to figure out if there's any real difference between real time and clock time in Philly.

Anyways..

Verne Gagne doesn't see a problem with this arrangement.

• Like 1

On 6/9/2023 at 10:01 AM, RIPPA said:

Pete Alonso was hit on the wrist by a pitch on Wednesday and it now appears he is going on the IL

X-rays are negative but he is going for a MRI this morning

There are some in the Mets organization that fear "he will be out weeks"

Verdict is 3-4 weeks due to a bone bruise and a sprained wrist

One of the nice things about Cutch going back to Pittsburgh is that things like this

He got his 2000 hit today in Pittsburgh

Now the 5th active player to reach that mark (291st overall)

• Like 2

None of the clips I can find show a better replay but here

As referenced in the clip - a very similar thing happened in the World Series between the two teams

None of the clips I can find show a better replay but here

As referenced in the clip - a very similar thing happened in the World Series between the two teams

This video has excellent clips and an excellent breakdown. Shout out to CloseCallSports on YouTube. If you're not watching their videos, you should be. Excellent analysis of ejections and rule controversies. 

https://youtu.be/lSg3J5oLAHk

Why Foz would not make a good judge, Pt 2,358,215

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/37858940/arrests-made-thefts-yogi-berra-world-series-rings-roger-maris-mvp-trophy

Investigators believe some of the sports memorabilia had been melted down, including nine of Berra's 10 World Series rings, U.S. Attorney Gerard M. Karam said at a news conference.

My reaction?

"For the crime of multiple counts of theft, I sentence the defendants to 64 months of prison. For the crime of destroying sports history, I sentence the defendants to Life at hard labor.

• Like 1

Why Foz would not make a good judge, Pt 2,358,215

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/37858940/arrests-made-thefts-yogi-berra-world-series-rings-roger-maris-mvp-trophy

Investigators believe some of the sports memorabilia had been melted down, including nine of Berra's 10 World Series rings, U.S. Attorney Gerard M. Karam said at a news conference.

My reaction?

"For the crime of multiple counts of theft, I sentence the defendants to 64 months of prison. For the crime of destroying sports history, I sentence the defendants to Life at hard labor.

Yeah, that is just infuriating.