DVDVR Message Board

MLB 2023 - 1ST HALF

Dolfan in NYC

Welcome back my friends, to the show that never ends... (unless the CBA is coming close)

...come inside, come inside. 

We begin the 2023 season with a poll!

Oh dear...  we must pray that the Phanatic forgives our insolence. 😞 

PLAY BALL~!

Paws does nothing at Tigers games besides walk around the concourse, it's a joke that they won. The Pirate Parrot should be #1 purely due to his days dealing coke to players in the 80's.

https://www.sportskeeda.com/baseball/news-it-crazy-time-boy-choices-make-huge-the-drugs-end-taking-dignity-away-when-pittsburgh-pirates-parrot-mascot-relayed-cocaine-stars-80s-baseball

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Kuetsar said:

View image on Twitter

That Parrot is high as fuck. . . .

the Pirates haven't won the world series since 1979 because there's no need; it would be impossible to top the cool factor of this moment in time anyway.

• Like 3

Today, in the YANKEES TRADITION~ news column...

Also, Anthony Volpe is switching from #77 to #11.  And in one of those "the rookie must introduce and shake hands with everyone in the locker room" bits, Volpe actually called the previous #11, Brett Gardner if it was okay. 

I think the most stunning fact in this story is that Gardner was on the Yankees for 14 years(!).  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

It is going to be 41 degrees at opening pitch at Yankee Stadium today 

Baseball Weather~!

I’d much rather play (and spectate) in today’s weather than a sweltering late afternoon game in July,  90 degrees and 95% humidity isn’t good baseball weather either.

7 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

I think the most stunning fact in this story is that Gardner was on the Yankees for 14 years(!).  

He is 13th in games played for the franchise - if he had played one more season (and I am still shocked he didn't end up on the team at some point last year) he would have played more games as a Yankee than Joe DiMaggio

Btw - the best part from the story is that there is a number the Yankees don’t want to give out (and apparently most players don’t want)

That number is 69

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Interesting idea.

the aging Umpire population is having trouble keeping track of who they're supposed to hazing via deliberate misinterpretation of the strike zone (squeezing pitchers, 22 inch plate for hitters) and thus should benefit from this easy marking system.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Oh before I forget, the subject of this morning's NY Times The Daily podcast was MLB trying to save itself from "the tyranny of the home run."

Also fun is Manfred basically admitting he's trying to get fired. (Not really, but he is a bit dicky about the changes.)

1 hour ago, Raziel said:

Umps in mid-season form with the randomly changing zones already.

just as ever team is still in contention to win the world series on Opening Day, so too is every umpire in contention to win the office pool for Most Players Baited Into An Ejection.  In both milieus, it's important to get off to a strong start.

• Like 1

One of the biggest changes no one has talked about was the limit on the number of pick off attempts. 

Rickey's already seething because Acuna is gonna steal 200 this season easy.