DVDVR Message Board

AEW Dynamite - 3/29/2023

The Natural

I've been trying to find that old Warner Bros cartoon where the 1812 Overture plays over the big bar fight, and all these pumped up dog sailors walk into the bar, only to get thrown straight back out again.

I hope they do that spot in Wargames with the BCC. 

Pretty sure its proven that old Warner Bros cartoon spots and catchphrases have effortlessly translated to modern professional wrestling 

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, GuerrillaMonsoon said:

I've been trying to find that old Warner Bros cartoon where the 1812 Overture plays over the big bar fight, and all these pumped up dog sailors walk into the bar, only to get thrown straight back out again.

I hope they do that spot in Wargames with the BCC. 

Pretty sure its proven that old Warner Bros cartoon spots and catchphrases have effortlessly translated to modern professional wrestling 

Totally. Miss Atlanta Lively was over.

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, AxB said:

The “Defending the TNT Title takes a toll” storyline has been a thing almost as long as the TNT title has existed, so Orange starting to show weakness makes sense.

The main difference is that now it’s balanced against “the champion is a special attraction who talks for 10 minutes a week and wrestles for 10 minutes every 6 weeks”

10 hours ago, Dolphman 3000 said:

Stick O'Reilly in BCC and then you can do Omega/Bucks/Hangman/Cole vs. Danielson/Claudio/Moxley/Yuta/O'Reilly

I was fantasy booking live on FB and said I wanted BCC to run in and beat the shit out of Cole and someone said “as long as it doesn’t lead to Bobby Fish” and I said “no, Kyle O’Reilly is going to run in and then turn on Cole and join BCC”

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Matt D said:

In positive news, Cole is in fact a better babyface than he is a heel. That’s a relief.

In other positive news, you can still get a shot of penicillin to cure the clap but herpes is still forever.

• Haha 1

I like-a tha Juice. I assume all those hating on him missed his fun TV bout against Leon Ruffin on Dark? Robinson is a good lower to mid-card hand. Not really a position to hate on, but QT, Kazarian, and everybody else in that role all seem to raise the ire. All while cleanly laying down for everybody with a name. No doubt Juice does the same on Wednesday against Ricky. Not to say Juicey's hitting this shot out of the park, but what's wrong with giving him a try? Further, I'm not sure I'd be anymore into him as a babyface (wasn't all that into his NJPW run), but I do think the best role I've seen him in is as a babyface tag wrestler - playing Ricky Morton. Unfortunately, his partner then David Finlay was nowhere near the 'Hoot' level. Bullet Club Heel Finlay on the otherhand is quite alright.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, just drew said:

I never said he isn’t talented. I said he isn’t a draw or top guy, and I’ve yet to see any number that disputes that. There’s a reason nXt isn’t on Wednesdays anymore. Shawn got a man crush on a guy who can’t draw money with a green crayon, and for whatever reason TK abandons all objective analysis when it comes to Cole. How many shows does a guy get to sink before TK has the good sense to pivot to someone who doesn’t actively repel viewers?

Why is Adam Cole getting the blame for NXT moving? Yes he was champion when they first went head to head, but by July the belt went from Keith Lee to Karrion Kross to Finn Bálor up until they moved back to Tuesdays. So they had a nine month run without Adam Cole as the focus, and then they abandoned the “war”. Nothing about that says “Adam Cole isn’t a draw” or “Adam Cole killed NXT”. It says more that Finn and Karrion Kross weren’t draws, and based on what he’s showing on the main roster Karrion Kross absolutely sucks in ring. 

Plus when it comes to this specific episode it’s already been pointed out how weak the second hour was. People who left weren’t going to tune back in regardless of the main event. Why do you think Khan put Kenny where he did instead of the main event? Even he knew the second hour was the death slot this week.

3 minutes ago, LF2 said:

Why is Adam Cole getting the blame for NXT moving? Yes he was champion when they first went head to head, but by July the belt went from Keith Lee to Karrion Kross to Finn Bálor up until they moved back to Tuesdays. So they had a nine month run without Adam Cole as the focus, and then they abandoned the “war”. Nothing about that says “Adam Cole isn’t a draw” or “Adam Cole killed NXT”. It says more that Finn and Karrion Kross weren’t draws, and based on what he’s showing on the main roster Karrion Kross absolutely sucks in ring. 

Plus when it comes to this specific episode it’s already been pointed out how weak the second hour was. People who left weren’t going to tune back in regardless of the main event. Why do you think Khan put Kenny where he did instead of the main event? Even he knew the second hour was the death slot this week.

That Cole/Garcia match posted the second lowest quarter rating of the year. 719 k. I’m sure that’s someone else’s fault too. He’s not a big star, no matter how badly you’d like him to be.

1 minute ago, just drew said:

That Cole/Garcia match posted the second lowest quarter rating of the year. 719 k. I’m sure that’s someone else’s fault too. He’s not a big star, no matter how badly you’d like him to be.

What part of the second hour sucked, and once viewers leave they’re not returning don’t you get? I love how you conveniently gave up the NXT argument to the moment I pointed out the actual facts and not just the numbers you found favorable. 

Face it you’re a gimmick poster when it comes to Cole, The Bucks, and Kenny and it’s not even a good or funny gimmick. It’s just “hey look at me, my parents never gave me any attention”.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, LF2 said:

What part of the second hour sucked, and once viewers leave they’re not returning don’t you get? I love how you conveniently gave up the NXT argument to the moment I pointed out the actual facts and not just the numbers you found favorable. 

Face it you’re a gimmick poster when it comes to Cole, The Bucks, and Kenny and it’s not even a good or funny gimmick. It’s just “hey look at me, my parents never gave me any attention”.

Lol. Maybe I just see things for what they are instead of what a small minority of a fan base stomps their feet and insists they are. I’ve been into Kenny’s little singles run here. It’s been impressive. 

Adam Cole was the bell cow of nXt when they got to USA. That show got their brains beat in by a newcomer. He’s been ratings death on two different brands now. You crying about it doesn’t change the pathetic viewership every time adam Cole is on tv. There are objective ratings numbers out there that conclusively show that Cole & the Bucks don’t hold viewership and in most cases actively cause people to change the channel. If pointing that out makes me a gimmick poster, then I guess I am. 

Adam Cole would have made a decent WWF Lightweight Champion feuding with X Pac or Malenko on Heat or as a SD/Raw show opener in the late 90s / early 00s. He will never be anything more than that. Not to be scoffed at, as that position has its merits, but he will not be the driving force behind any company-wide momentum.

Edited by A_K
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Technico Support said:

That was a cheap heat promo too, in a way.  He keeps doing this thing where every time the crowd isn’t reacting, he stops the promo and says something to or about the crowd to get them booing again.  It’s cheap and lame.  It’s like he freaks out and panics if he’s not getting “heat” at any given time and goes to the tried and true corny bullshit like a safety blanket.

WHAT?? A wrestler interacting with the crowd to keep them engaged during a promo? What does he think this is, the 90’s?

NO.

He should continue reading the script to silence like a true sports entertainer.

Edited by EVA
  • Like 5

11 hours ago, GuerrillaMonsoon said:

I want a heel gimmick/parody of MJF cheap heat where they just spend 10 minutes going around ringside and ripping up everyone's signs. Inevitably it'd be organically over as a face act, and the eventual face turn when they think better of ripping up a kid's sign seems an easy one.

My dream is the Miz jumps to AEW and this is his gimmick. 

• Like 1

Also since Finlay has come up a couple times and with Forbidden Door coming up I think this is an Aew-adjacent topic, isnt it depressing that Gedo hasn't been able to get away from the Fergal Devitt BC leader gimmick since...when did that start, 2011 or something? We've gone though Devitt, AJ, Omega (all with success), and then to the more bland Jay White and now to the even blander David Finlay. I'm sure Hangman was destined for the spot if he hadn't jumped. It's like if the history of DX leadership was Shawn to HHH to Waltman to Jericho to Ziggler to Seth Rollins to...I don't know, Matt Riddle or something. Time to either put a hoss in that role just to break the mold a bit of just disband the group already. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, EVA said:

WHAT?? A wrestler interacting with the crowd to keep them engaged during a promo? What does he think this is, the 90’s?

NO.

He should continue reading the script to silence like a true sports entertainer.

I think there's probably a middle ground between reading the script in silence and stopping the whole flow of the segment to insult the crowd every time you panic about the fans quieting down.  Maybe he can gradually take off the "insult the marks" training wheels over time?  Go from five lame asides per promo to four, and then gradually to one or none?

I don't think MJF will ever get it, though, because I swear I made this same comment probably 6-8 months ago.  It's maddening because he has obvious charisma and can do some good, creative stuff.  But every time I'm like, "man, maybe I'm wrong and this guy is really good!" he bush-leagues his way through a promo and it's two steps back. 

• Like 1

Was THAT Kenny Omega's NJPW theme? What the shit? Cobb needs to destroy him for this! With all the evidence and Occam's Razor pointing at BCC, I guess it's safe to say that they didn't attack Bucks?!?

Matt vs Jungle Boy was cool enough, but mostly warm-up for the MJF promo, which was cool enough. Where this is going isn't 100% sure to me, but probably not 1-on-1 between the two.

I expected more out of the Castle & The Boys, sad that they got squashed.

I'll edit more in once I see more of the episode, but yeah, main event level singles Kenny is certainly just as much fun as trios Kenny, but with all of the spotlight!

Willow was robbed, Danielson turned heel or stayed with his friends, take your pick, Butcher was impressive against OC who needed cheating to win and I may need to rethink Garcia, good stuff!

I'll do Impact next!

Edited by Shartnado
More...
  • Like 2

40 minutes ago, Dirty J. said:

Claudio manhandling one of the Boys was awesome. Waste of a Dalton Castle appearance, but the segment was pretty cool. 

Thou shalt not manhandle The Boys, though!

Edited by Shartnado
Typos...

1 minute ago, StuntmanCrowley said:

I guess Wheeler Yuta is doing his job, because everytime hes on my screen I want to see him get absolutely mangled.

That has not been his job for more than a month now, but you must be correct!

I'll admit, I really enjoy Yuta's in-ring, but I feel like Rob Riggle in Step Brothers when I look at him....."There's just something about your face"

Now that he's playing a sleazeball heel riding the coattails of his tougher BCC stablemates, I just want to see him get steamrolled by someone like Brody King for 15-20 minutes to satisfy my bloodlust.

TL;DR:  He's killing it, haha

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, just drew said:

Adam Cole was the bell cow of nXt when they got to USA. That show got their brains beat in by a newcomer. He’s been ratings death on two different brands now.

Ratings death feels a bit harsh but it is weird how people seem to forget Cole's NXT segments were usually among the lower rated segments whether he was champ or not. Cole is loved by live audiences, but people at home clearly don't tune in to see him the way they do others. Nothing wrong with that. It just says he can't be THE guy is all. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Eivion said:

Ratings death feels a bit harsh but it is weird how people seem to forget Cole's NXT segments were usually among the lower rated segments whether he was champ or not. Cole is loved by live audiences, but people at home clearly don't tune in to see him the way they do others. Nothing wrong with that. It just says he can't be THE guy is all. 

Cole doesn’t rank very high in my wrestling priority list.  But I see no need to be fatalist like Cole doesn’t have something to offer.  He totally does.  Plus, I could see him and Britt eventually getting over in reality land.  

• Like 3