DVDVR Message Board

AEW Dynamite - 3/29/2023

The Natural

9 minutes ago, John from Cincinnati said:

PWInsider is reporting that Callis was busted hardway from really cracking his head on the floor. 

I don't want to be one of those people who are like "you can see him blading", but... it certainly looked like he was in the perfect position to be blading.

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, S.K.o.S. said:

I don't want to be one of those people who are like "you can see him blading", but... it certainly looked like he was in the perfect position to be blading.

The thought occurred to me as well. Just relaying what was being reported at one outlet on account of people talking about him. 

• Like 3

I liked the show! Quick thoughts before I try to stay awake long enough to read another 20 pages of Dreiser: 

I liked the MJF/Jungle Boy segment. Jungle Boy still sucks on the mic but he is hanging in there and taking every bullet with stoicism. This crowd was rude and bawdy and I hated them. The segment made me want to see MJF vs Jungle Boy headline the ppv, even though I don't really like Jungle Boy much these days (and will like him even less when he's fully Jack Perry, sigh). I suspect Darby is getting the shot at Double or Nothing since he looked up at the sign and everything last week but I would rather JB go first and Darby get his shot at All Out wherein enough time has passed that it's halfway feasible MJF might drop the title. Hoping Anna Jay will come back as a face and kick MJF in the nuts, it seems like the right way to revamp her after such an ugly injury. Plus she was so endearing as a face in the Dark Order.

I also really liked the Danielson heel turn. Danielson vs Omega II sounds like a very good use of Omega right now. BCC vs Elite Blood & Guts sounds like [Daniel Plainview voice:] one goddamned hell of a show. I cracked up at Schiavone delivering soul crushing news to Omega seconds before he steps out to take on the monster Cobb. Come on, Tony. Omega is a big enough goof that I'd bet money on that segment being his idea because I think he took it from the Full House episode where Danny is interviewing a boxer before a championship fight and he ruins the champ's game by asking him about his wife leaving him moments before the title defense. 

Omega/Cobb was good. They didn't gel well for the first half. The second half was exactly what you'd expect but not in a bad way. Cobb is awesome and AEW should steal him. 

BCC squashing Dalton and the Boys ruled. Danielson being part of these beatdowns sounds good. 

Ruby vs Willow was pretty good. It's hard watching Willow get run roughshod like that because, as Tony said, she's such a nice young lady. I feel similarly bad watching when the Acclaimed get beat up. Natural babyface likeability has a home in AEW. 

I thought OC vs Butcher was the match of the night. Butcher is a personal fav of mine and Orange is a maestro for all the reasons we keep discussing each week. My partner was sad there was no Danhausen because they just listened to the NYT podcast about him. Maybe next week...

I'll save the bad for the end. The main event was a WHOLE LOTTA NOTHING but I'm glad Cole is healthy and the celebration with Baker was great. Garcia was on offense way too much, then they went straight to the finish. I can't inherently dismiss it as Cole just getting back into the swing of things since his match with Joe in the Owen tournament finals basically had all the same issues. You know what is one of my least favorite matches of all time? Jericho vs Shawn at WM 19. Guess what I'm not excited for? Jericho vs Shawn's guy 20 years later. 

I'm glad there was no QTV. Now can we just relegate Juice Robinson to Dark or something? Aside from being the epitome of Just A Guy in the ring, I'd rather they just bring in Enzo if they're set on giving tv time to a guy whose entire promo style is based around being as cringey as possible. 

Finally my biggest negative: I hope I'm not alone in thinking MJF should never, ever try to get heel heat by cynically implying a babyface is antisemitic ever again (even if it's just in the form of a lame, already-dated Kanye reference). 

Edited by Belgian_Waffle
TYPOS
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Belgian_Waffle said:

I suspect Darby is getting the shot at Double or Nothing since he looked up at the sign and everything last week but I would rather JB go first and Darby get his shot at All Out wherein enough time has passed that it's halfway feasible MJF might drop the title.

Full Gear to Double or Nothing was the length of Page's reign, so it could already be feasible. 

MJF had two matches between the last PPVs (vs Starks and Takeshita). Doing the JB and Sammy matches on TV and a Darby singles on the PPV rather than the four way definitely tracks with how often Max wrestles. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, John from Cincinnati said:

Full Gear to Double or Nothing was the length of Page's reign, so it could already be feasible. 

MJF had two matches between the last PPVs (vs Starks and Takeshita). Doing the JB and Sammy matches on TV and a Darby singles on the PPV rather than the four way definitely tracks with how often Max wrestles. 

True, and especially since I have a feeling MJF also won't be on Forbidden Door. I just get the impression Max's "Hollywood Hogan run" is something he and TK have already committed to so I don't really envision him actually dropping it until All Out or later (like maybe a year or longer). Whereas Hangman I don't think they ever really had a long-term plan in mind. 

Edited by Belgian_Waffle
  • Like 1

Mixed feelings. I've wanted Bryan Danielson vs. Kenny Omega II as the first match is still the best match in AEW history at AEW Grand Slam Dynamite, 22nd September 2021 *****. However, I wanted Bryan Danielson away from the Blackpool Combat Club back in singles as a face. That's possibly an unpopular opinion.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 2

Man, I love the BCC as just these total ass kickers. Running around causing havoc and beating the piss out of everyone, give me MORE MORE MORE. Especially with an unhinged Bryan Danielson in the mix. I am totally down for that. The Gunns have really grown on me lately and between them and the Acclaimed shows some good organic rising of homegrown tag teams. Speaking of the Acclaimed; them and 2.0 just screams great stuff. That's the type of skits I was talking about a few hours ago! Love that stuff. Cobb/Omega was really good and kudos to Kenny for getting Jeff up for the OWA. I was really hoping Danielson would look at the US Title and pick it up jussssst so we might have a chance of NJPW Bryan Danielson.

• Like 8

3 hours ago, S.K.o.S. said:

They're making changes. The long in-ring talking segment with MJF and Jungle Boy, and even the Kenny-Vikingo recap package, are not things we would have seen 3 or 4 months ago.

Was certain that the payoff to the BCC stuff would be Omega losing his US title to Cobb. Then when Bryan showed up, I was expecting the BCC to turn on him. But yeah, that was a good, self-contained, multi-part story they told on this show. Wonder if Bischoff will give them credit for it.

They did a lot of video packages tonight. I think that’s good overall. Maybe not so many next time but they need more video packages to show off cool stuff and make things flow better. 

• Like 4