DVDVR Message Board

The Netflix Thread

John Austin

No, they'll charge you by the day each you don't take them back to the kiosk vs each day not dropping them in the mail

Yeah, but I tend to do better with them, since there are two dropoffs that are convenient for me.

You can just leave the envelopes in your mailbox/mail slot and the mailman will pick them up.  You don't have to take them to a mailbox.

Thing is, I forget to put them in my maibox.  I only mail 2-3 items a month, and my Netflix disc doesn't always make it.

As far as I know, no. But Shaolin Soccer is and its fantastic

Since Sony/Columbia owns the US rights, Kung Fu Hustle is on Crackle along with a handful of Jackie Chan movies and a couple  Bruceploitation/old school kung fu films.

I think the only other Stephen Chow movie on instant Netflix is King of Beggars.  It's not among his top tier, but it's a fine film.  A lot of kung fu in it (it is his take on the famous Beggar So character) and he is paired with his sidekick "Uncle" Ng Man-Tat, so there is some good humor as well.

You're not going to have an all in one service, because you have the different streaming companies bidding with the studios to try and entice new subscribers with their exclusive content.  Also, now you have the studios themselves preparing to get into the subscription streaming business, which is why Warner Bros didn't renew their contract with Netflix.  It's kind of like wishing at this point that there was one pay cable channel that showed all of the new movies.  It's only going to get more and more splintered, because there is a lot of money to be made and everyone wants a piece of the pie.

You guys gotta check out popcornflix.  It's an instant watch netflix-like service, but it's free.  And all the movies are fucking horrible.  There's this one on there called 9 DEATHS OF THE NINJA that's fucking amazing.  They've even got an Xbox app.

• Like 1

So you're saying that sometime in the near future if you want to stream it's going to end up costing you more than a cable/satellite subscription? That's nice. I will probably give up streaming when that happens.

Speaking of terrible horror movies... I recently watched Girls Gone Dead on Netflix. Plot is your basic girls go on spring break and they are killed one by one. It's absolutely terrible but I was amused to see Jerry "The King" Lawler show up as the sheriff.

So you're saying that sometime in the near future if you want to stream it's going to end up costing you more than a cable subscription? That's nice. I will probably give up streaming when that happens.

That has to be the plan if you're a content producer.The Music Industry fucked themselves by going all in on iTunes. Now people are comitted to that middleman. Now the film/TV industry is trying to avoid the same fate. That's why Netflix hasn't become the all in one service we hoped. They don't want an iTunes2. But by splintering everything off between Hulu, Amazon Prime, Netflix, WB's site(and so on and so on) viewers will eventually just say fuck it and pay for subscriptions AND pay as they go to OnDemand rental services. And of course as the demand becomes greater for first run movies to be on these services the price will go up. Industry will win out either way.

We're eventually moving towards everything coming to us via broadband including our cable stations/programs. The Industry is just trying to slow progress down so they can create the infrastructure that yields the most profit. Right now they're training us to know that More Data + Faster Speeds = MONEY. So if you want to cut your Cable, but still watch Netflix Instant all day, you'll eventually be paying the same equivalent to what you're paying now. Probably more. I've never paid for cable, and I never will, and I'm enjoying it now before they catch on.

My thing is I don't mail them back like I should, so I'm trying to figure if I would be better served using Redbox for my disc viewing.

Posted Image

That's a shot of my queue from March of this year. Shortly after that I ended my disc plan and went streaming only. Netflix really is the movie watchers' gym membership.

If you use the disc service a lot and you send them back on a regiular basis than it is great. If not then you might be better off with something like Redbox, assuming that the per a day charge motivates you to watch and return things, or renting from one of the digital movie services that give you a month to start/watch whatever you rent.

You guys gotta check out popcornflix.  It's an instant watch netflix-like service, but it's free.  And all the movies are fucking horrible.  There's this one on there called 9 DEATHS OF THE NINJA that's fucking amazing.  They've even got an Xbox app.

Carnival of Cult Movie Madness horrible?  *crosses fingers*

You can find some real gems on some of those free streaming sites. I got Kung-Fu Theater and in with all the cut-rate chop socky I was pleased to find the old Crimson Bat/Oichi The Blind Swordswoman films from the late 60's, which are fucking awesome.

Anyone else have this problem where you're looking at all the options and you realize you've spent 40 minutes NOT PICKING A FUCKING MOVIE?

I noticed I was about to do that on Saturday, where I'm just like YEAH I want to watch that.... but not right now. And I was like NO PICK SOMETHING.

So just watched Teen Wolf again. This seems to be a pattern with me. I want to watch so much, but I get overwhelmed and I just go with something I've seen a hundred times. Like Teen Wolf. Or Ferris Bueller. 

• Like 2

Anyone else have this problem where you're looking at all the options and you realize you've spent 40 minutes NOT PICKING A FUCKING MOVIE?

I noticed I was about to do that on Saturday, where I'm just like YEAH I want to watch that.... but not right now. And I was like NO PICK SOMETHING.

So just watched Teen Wolf again. This seems to be a pattern with me. I want to watch so much, but I get overwhelmed and I just go with something I've seen a hundred times. Like Teen Wolf. Or Ferris Bueller. 

A few weeks ago, I was going to watch the first ep of Arrested Development S4, but then saw it was like 30-31 minutes and thought I should watch something 22m and go to bed.  So I spent 15 minutes picking a show before settling on BETTER OFF TED.

Yep I probably spend more time searching for things to watch than I do watching things. 

I was driving my wife insane this past weekend trying to pick a movie so I told her to just pick something.  We wound up watching "What to Expect When You're Expecting."

Divorce papers forthcoming.

• Like 1

You guys should have just watched the FP.

I'm going to do a weekly spotlight on shit you should be watching on Netflix- Instant Watch Wednesdays - on the blog. The FP is naturally the first suggestion going up tomorrow morning.

In fact, I'd say your wife has to watch it too. For reals yo.

I still do disc only.  I don't have a laptop or Wifi and that would be the best outlet for streaming in my circumstances.

International film wise check out Tai Chi Zero and Tai Chi Hero both are really fun flicks