DVDVR Message Board

The Netflix Thread

John Austin

On 2/17/2018 at 1:35 AM, Craig H said:

I think Tom Segura is killing it more than anyone else right now, but that may be just me pulling for a dude I've liked for a long time now.

Yeah, I'm wearing those jeans high and tight. BIKES.

I dunno, the most recent one of his seemed pretty weak compared to Mostly Stories. Although the line about international uniforms was, quite possibly, the funniest thing I've ever heard in my life.

13 hours ago, Craig H said:

I'll have to give Everything Sucks a look. From the preview, it looked like bootleg Freaks and Geeks.

On some level, that's accurate. It's a lot better than that description would make it sound though. 

On ‎2‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 1:19 PM, Control said:

Has anyone watched this Altered Carbon show? If so, is it any good?

If you have any interest in cyberpunk, it will scratch that itch.  I personally have enjoyed this season and am looking forward to Season 2, which should be an adaptation of Broken Angels.

Most of the negative reviews you'll see out there complain about the show being too bleak... which is the whole fucking point of cyberpunk being cyberpunk.

You will also see complaints about the show following the Game Of Thrones formula of sex and violence as filler.  Those people have obviously never read the book because the Takeshi Kovacs novels are chock full of gore and naughty bits anyway and were written around the time of A Song of Fire and Ice , IIRC..  

Personally, I wouldn't be surprised if this novel was chosen for production partly because of the sex and violence parts that would make people draw comparisons to GoT's plot structure and keep watching.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Are we just using Netflix as a catch-all for streaming things in general? I'm going to assume we are and say how glad I am there's a new season of Bosch on Amazon. I even put off starting it for a week to finish other things, and it was worth it after about 20 minutes of the first episode. 

Watched Kodachrome over the weekend. It's the story of an estranged son driving his dying father cross country to get rolls of film developed before the last processor stops doing Kodachrome film. They take the father's nurse, too. Good cast - Ed Harris, Jason Sudeikis, Elizabeth Olsen - and not a terrible movie but... it's a clichéd, incredibly predictable amalgam of every road trip redemption movie ever made. I told a coworker about it abed then asked him to "write" the movie. He was very successful. There are literally no surprises to be had here so the end result is disappointing. 4/10.

8 hours ago, TheVileOne said:

Apologies because Deadline reported they are ending it after the third season.

Well there’s only three seasons worth of material so that may have been the plan 

And after two seasons of Olaf trying to kill the kids, failing, donning a new disguise, and doing it all over again, I'm not sure why anyone would want more than a third season. Season 2 ends with a literal cliffhanger so there's a reason to come back for one more go of this, but it's time to beat Olaf for good.

Wife and I watched The Ritual the other night on a whim. It was good. Dunno what else to really add other than that. But I'd say if you're home on a Thursday night with nothing else to do/watch and are flipping around trying to find something, you could do worse.

• Like 1

• RIPPA locked this topic

I honestly didn't realize this thread was still around. It is a little silly now considering the reach that Netflix has expanded too in the 5 years since it was created.

Since it is May 1 - it is a perfect time to change things.

All Movie and TV discussion can go in those two threads. (Since its half there anyway)