DVDVR Message Board

The Netflix Thread

John Austin

• 4 weeks later...

The only time I ever get to see anything on Netflix is at my buddy's house and I'm rarely there anymore because his work schedule is absurd, but today we got together, ate some Chinese takeout and watched the first episodes of Big Mouth and GLOW. The former is way dirty and pretty funny but I really loved GLOW. Mark Maron as a coke-snorting '80s sleazebag is the perfect role for him. I had fun spotting Johnny Mundo and Awesome Kong and we both had fun spotting the different shirts on the punk chick (Angry Samoans, Germs, Meatmen). Jenji Kohan does it again...

• 2 weeks later...
34 minutes ago, Control said:

Anyone watching Wormwood?

I haven't yet but it's next up on my watchlist so I'll probably check it out this coming weekend.

This past weekend I watched Dark which I'd highly recommend.  It's gotten Stranger Things and Twin Peaks comparisons which isn't all that apt though there are some influences mixed in.  The plot is a bit complicated as it involves the same characters throughout several timelines so it can be difficult to keep who's who and related to whomever else straight but it's a good watch.

2 minutes ago, HumanChessgame said:

I haven't yet but it's next up on my watchlist so I'll probably check it out this coming weekend.

This past weekend I watched Dark which I'd highly recommend.  It's gotten Stranger Things and Twin Peaks comparisons which isn't all that apt though there are some influences mixed in.  The plot is a bit complicated as it involves the same characters throughout several timelines so it can be difficult to keep who's who and related to whomever else straight but it's a good watch.

We started watching Dark but you have to watch a dubbed version (?) which I find painful and unwatchable. Why can't I get the original language + subtitles?

Yeah, the English dubbing is horrible. I'm through 4 episodes and I'm loving it. Sometimes the German dialogue goes so fast that I don't have time to read all of the subtitles. Other times I catch myself trying to understand what they're saying in German since I took 4 years of it.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Watched a little of Chris Rock's standup special this morning on Netflix. Man, he might have the worst timing ever for this release. The first 20 minutes or so is about shootings and jokes are made about wanting to hear about a white kid getting shot just to balance out all the news about black kids getting shot. Or something to that effect. Anyway, it was funny, but I just couldn't stop thinking about the Florida shooting. I'll have to watch the rest later when I have some time.

I think he thing that surprised me most about the Rock special was it was directed by Bo Burnham. I meanthisdidn't feel like any of Rock's previous specials at all and perhaps Burnham had something to with that

James

Rock doing something more intimate is interesting, as it seems Tom Segura's specials are getting bigger crowds. His most recent special was pretty fun (somehwere inbertween his brilliant first one and pretty good 2nd)

Dammit now more than ever I wish Netflix would sign Greg Proops to a deal for a few specials

James

• Like 1

I think Tom Segura is killing it more than anyone else right now, but that may be just me pulling for a dude I've liked for a long time now.

Yeah, I'm wearing those jeans high and tight. BIKES.

• Like 1

I binged the entire first season of Everything Sucks Monday night.  Didn't really intend to do that but...well, it's really good.  Everything Sucks is the story of a handful of high school nerds and misfits in the A/V and drama clubs in 1996.  The show handles some mature themes with a (mostly) delicate touch.  The main characters are all nice, if flawed, kids and they have good relationships with their parents.  The story centers around Luke, an aspiring movie director who befriends and falls in love with Kate, the daughter of the high school's principal.  Kate, though, is awakening to the realization that she's gay so we get some interesting interactions out of that.  The kids in the show are all really good and they actually look their age, which is a nice change of pace from these types of shows.  Anyway, highly recommended.

Crosspost from the TV thread: Started binging Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee and got through most of the first "collection" (since they aren't showing them chronologically for whatever reason). Alec Baldwin and Ricky Gervais eps are probably my favorites so far, plus I loved the Joel Hodgson ep just because my dad had a Karmann Ghia like the one Jerry drives, minus the "secret." I lost it for Jerry's line about how Ghia owners "wanted a sports car but also wanted a Volkswagen, so you know they had a sense of humor" since it fit Dad perfectly. (He also named her "Lucille" after the Little Richard song. Just sharing.)

4 hours ago, Tabe said:

I binged the entire first season of Everything Sucks Monday night.  Didn't really intend to do that but...well, it's really good.  Everything Sucks is the story of a handful of high school nerds and misfits in the A/V and drama clubs in 1996.  The show handles some mature themes with a (mostly) delicate touch.  The main characters are all nice, if flawed, kids and they have good relationships with their parents.  The story centers around Luke, an aspiring movie director who befriends and falls in love with Kate, the daughter of the high school's principal.  Kate, though, is awakening to the realization that she's gay so we get some interesting interactions out of that.  The kids in the show are all really good and they actually look their age, which is a nice change of pace from these types of shows.  Anyway, highly recommended.

We watched this over the weekend, there hasn't been a show with a perfect mix of genuine happiness and soul crushing sadness in a while.  

And the soundtrack is fucking amazing.

I'll have to give Everything Sucks a look. From the preview, it looked like bootleg Freaks and Geeks.

We're watching Lovesick and that show is really funny. If you've watched or are a fan of Catastrophe and/or Fleabag, you kinda know what to expect.

I watched Everything Sucks last night.  At first I didn't like it as there was too much cringe/awkward humor but it got considerably better as the show progressed.  The characters were all well done and not too over the top unrealistic as high schoolers in tv shows often are.  I was in high school in 1996 and this was a reminder of how awful popular music was in the late 90s.

44 minutes ago, HumanChessgame said:

I watched Everything Sucks last night.  At first I didn't like it as there was too much cringe/awkward humor but it got considerably better as the show progressed.  The characters were all well done and not too over the top unrealistic as high schoolers in tv shows often are.  I was in high school in 1996 and this was a reminder of how awful popular music was in the late 90s.

invasion-of-the-body-snatchers-78.jpg