DVDVR Message Board

The Netflix Thread

John Austin

Holy shit - Hulu just rolled out a new design on Roku devices and it's awful  

Text menu's only with only 3 results showing on each page, most of the thumbnails not loading and really the worst thing - and the thing that's totally going to fuck over a ton of people - is this new "My Stuff" garbage replacing your watchlist.

However, there's no way to just import your watchlist.  They claim you can import some of it, even though when I first loaded the new interface I wasn't given that option, but even their FAQ's suggest that you start fresh because it will populate your My Stuff with basically everything you've ever watched one episode of.  So ok - that' fine I can update it pretty quickly on my laptop - NOPE.  That still uses the old interface with no way of saving things to My Stuff.  So I'm left sifting through these awful menu's, searching with my stupid Roku remote for all the things I used to have on there.  

I mean....who actually decided it was ok to roll this out...

DKN4hm7VoAA30Wl.jpg

It's bizarre.  You can't find anything in the main part until you get into the "Browse" section.  But then there is an item in the list called "t.v. shows" but that doesn't have all their t.v. shows.  Just the ones that fit into some cute prefab suber-specific genres like "Strong female lead" and 'Disturbing futures."  If something doesn't fit into one of those, you have to leave "t.v. shows" and go further down to "genres" which is a massive list of both movies and t.v. shows in more generic genres that are still way too specific to know which one the thing you're looking for is likely to be in....that is if you already know not to look for this t.v. show under T>V> SHOWS!

Let's try an experiment. Let's say I don't already know that the Sonny & Cher show or Dick Cavett shows are on Hulu. How would I go about stumbling into them by going toward "things like that." You know "discovery!"  I don't go to "t.v. shows" and then "nostalgia t.v." because they didn't make the cut there. So they must be somewhere else.  So I go to the broader "genre" and then guess between

classics: these are all movies, but then under that is a section for "sitcoms" and "popular t.v."

Comedy: also has a different listing of "popular t.v." and one for "funny families" which Sonny & Cher kind of were but no dice.

history: maybe for Dick Cavett? Note; History turns out not to be documentaries or History Channel shows but mostly historical dramas.  Who would ever have guessed that? Anyone? Oh it somehow also includes the anime "Brave 10" because it is set in "Ancient Japan." Yep.

34043.jpgHISTORY!!!!

Game shows? At this point I had to at least check. Nope. But this is where the 1985 version of American Gladiators shows up.  Under "genres" then "game shows" then "popular t.v." POPULAR TV!!!!

Music maybe for Sonny & Cher. Nope. But it does has a sub-genre of "best theme songs" which is where you can find The Incredible Hulk...under "Genres" "Music" "Best theme songs". Perfectly absurd.

Ah...sketch comedy! Nope. But I do like the the sub-genres "For you" "popular t.v." and "A-z" contain the exact same shows in the exact same order. BRAVO!!!!

The only thing left is standup.and no...

So if I didn't know already those shows are on there. I would never have found them They are unfindable. Now I can find them because I know to search for them.  I can't find them by going to my queue because that is erased.

This is one of the most hilariously inept changes to an UI I've ever seen.

• Like 2

I don't know about Roku, but on Xbox the Hulu update also came with the most aggressive earth-shaking log-on tone that I've ever heard. I have to mute the television beforehand to not upset the toddler and the dogs when I enter the app, regardless of what the volume of the tv is set to. 

6 hours ago, LethalStriker said:

I don't see the purpose of buying a Roku, I mean you'd be better off buying a Sony Blu Ray player instead even if you rarely ever play any physical media.  The menus are far better and you still have the option of watching a DVD or Blu Ray if you choose to down the line.

If you like to explore Roku has a lot of great little channels not on other devices.  And private channels with some great stuff.  I would be very sad without B Movie TV, Bizarre t.v. and a few others that are Roku exclusive.  Yes, there's a lot of crap and a lot of little channels with the same public domain movies and tons of ads.  But there's enough that's unique and awesome that I wouldn't want to switch with a closed system like a Sony device or an Apple t.v.

But I'm a guy that would rather watch a Jesus Franco movie than a Marvel movie.

What in the fuck. I saw you guys talking about this and I just watched an old Rick and Morty on there last week. This week, or at least right now, it's fucking abysmal. This actively makes me want to unsubscribe.

On ‎10‎/‎09‎/‎2017 at 5:47 PM, Control said:

So what's the best Netflix "original" movie? My vote is for I DONT FEEL AT HOME IN THIS WORLD ANYMORE. though it isn't a great crop is it?

Tramps imo, with Okja and Hush as runners-up.

Is Aziz really not going to do S3 of Master Of None? You can't leave me with that cliffhanger, Aziz! IT'S NOT FAIR. I started this show a few days ago and it's the first show in a while that I haven't been able to stop watching. I even watched a few episodes at work (luckily I work 3rd shift in a hospital now with no supervision, so...). "Le Nozze" is probably my favorite episode of the entire show, just because I related to it so much. The penultimate episode and the season finale were both just absolute heart wrenchers.

I want more of this show. Now.

I've still only seen S1, but I kind of got the feeling from interviews that the show was very much about the creators working through some shit.  They reached the end of what it can do for them for now, and while they may come back if they have something specific to say to themselves or the audience, they're not going to keep it going for the viewers' benefit.  Maybe a 1-hour special to tie up the loose ends if you're lucky.

On 9/20/2017 at 1:28 PM, LethalStriker said:

I think that this thread should be for Netflix, Amazon Video and Hulu Plus since the latter two have seriously stepped up their games since this thread was made.  Just watched a really good documentary on Amazon Video about Juco football in Mississippi.

Sounds like a copy of "Last Chance U"...

On 9/22/2017 at 12:26 AM, piranesi said:

If you like to explore Roku has a lot of great little channels not on other devices.  And private channels with some great stuff.  I would be very sad without B Movie TV, Bizarre t.v. and a few others that are Roku exclusive.  Yes, there's a lot of crap and a lot of little channels with the same public domain movies and tons of ads.  But there's enough that's unique and awesome that I wouldn't want to switch with a closed system like a Sony device or an Apple t.v.

But I'm a guy that would rather watch a Jesus Franco movie than a Marvel movie.

My dad has a Roku so I've used both devices, but I really prefer the Sony Blu Ray menu over the Roku menu.  I don't mean the main menu but I mean the MLB.tv and WWE Network menu on Roku is really lackluster, so much harder to navigate then on the Blu Ray player.

On ‎9‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 5:47 PM, Control said:

So what's the best Netflix "original" movie? My vote is for I DONT FEEL AT HOME IN THIS WORLD ANYMORE. though it isn't a great crop is it?

I Am The Pretty Thing That Lives In The House is not entirely horrible.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/4/2017 at 4:17 PM, driver said:

Burned through all ten episodes of "Big Mouth" today. Really funny. Plus it gets extra points for using a soul cover of "Changes" for the theme.

I’m loving this show. I just watched the party one with the Seinfeld bits and it’s one of the funniest things I’ve seen in forever.

I guess this will be the documentary where we finally figure out if the Jim and Jerry Lawler stuff doing the movie was a total work.  I always thought it was a work that turned into a shoot and maybe not sure.    Man on the Moon was the movie where Carrey became the obnoxious possibly drugged out goof he is now

• 3 weeks later...

I was bored last weekend and decided to power watch Hulu's Casual on a whim and... wow I really dig it. I'm through S1 and starting S2 and everything on it clicks for me.

I'll also throw my support for Big Mouth. I'll pretty much watch anything that gives Jason Manzoutkas a chance to play another weird character but both Nick Kroll and John Mullaney are really great. I mean ho can I not love a show with the Ghost of Duke Ellington as one of he regular cast of characters?

James