DVDVR Message Board

The Netflix Thread

John Austin

I thought the first 2 episodes of CASTLEVANIA were actually really, really terrible ,with bizarre choices all around.  The first scene is a rom-com meet cute between Dracula and Lisa?  Belmont doesn't even appear on screen until the very end...and even then he's just chilling in the background at a bar while some nobodies banter endlessly about nothing?  Nobody so much as cracks a whip until  almost the end of the 2nd episode?????

The last 2 episodes get quite a bit better once Belmont actually starts adventuring and fighting monsters.  

But then it ends abruptly!  They must've felt pretty confident Netflix was going to order more episodes because if you told me I've got 4 episodes to tell a kickass Castlevania story, this is not the direction I'd have chosen.

• Like 1

I can see it as a 2 hour part 1 movie that sets the background for a longer series running the Castlevania III/Rondo of Blood/Symphony of the Night trilogy, but they did take a little too long to get going.

• 4 weeks later...

Finished Gypsy over the weekend.  If you're wanting a show that delivers Naomi Watts looking hot while having all the sex, most of it with a woman half her age, while smoking constantly, then this is the show for you.  If you want one with a decent plot, that isn't completely pretentious and douchey, well, look elsewhere.  Watts plays a psychologist who listens to her patients complain about someone else in their life - then goes out and meets that person, not letting them know of the connection.  She's happily married but then she meets Sydney, her manic pixie dream girl, and it's all over.  I made it through the whole season but this show sucked.

@Tabe  I'm gonna need you to come out of DVD retirement and make us a comp of Naomi Watts girl-girl sex scenes, please. 

I have read some really rough reviews of  Friends From College. 

I still need to watch THE RANCH s3, but the pregnancy storyline doesn't interest me. Also, I only made it 3 eps into KIMMY SCHMIDT s3 - it feels stale and try-hard to me now. 

I posted my thoughts on Ozark in last month's tv thread but probably should have posted here instead as it's quite good and worth checking out.  For obvious reasons it's getting a lot of Breaking Bad comparisons.  It centers around  a law abiding middle class man who uses his skill set to get in over his head with a criminal enterprise (in this case, an investment banker who winds up laundering money for a drug cartel).  There are also lots of parallel characters and plot points to BB and while it's not on the same level it's a really good show.  With only 10 episodes it's got just the right amount of time to tell a story with no extraneous filler.  The acting, even that of the kids, is quite good and all the characters are pretty well fleshed out.  Plenty of them are awful people but it does a good job of explaining or hinting at their backstories and motivations.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Kronos said:

@Tabe  I'm gonna need you to come out of DVD retirement and make us a comp of Naomi Watts girl-girl sex scenes, please. 

Hahaha. Not sure it's worth watching the show again for that... 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/8/2017 at 7:55 PM, Raziel403 said:

I can see it as a 2 hour part 1 movie that sets the background for a longer series running the Castlevania III/Rondo of Blood/Symphony of the Night trilogy, but they did take a little too long to get going.

That's how Warren Ellis wrote it.

2 hours ago, Robert s said:

It's not as if this were the first movie that has both Ben Stiller and Dustin Hoffman in it.

Or Adam Sandler and Dustin Hoffman.

I was also reminded that there's a movie with Dustin Hoffman and Emma Thompson that stars Will Ferrell.

Watched Atypical over the weekend.  It's good - not great, but good.  Funny in plenty of spots.  If you're not familiar, it tells the story of Sam, an autistic teenager who, at 18 years of age, has decided to start growing and expanding his horizons.  There's plenty of laughs of the "Sam says something inappropriate" variety but it's never mean-spirited or overdone.  Just funny.  The rest of the case is terrific as well.  This is obviously something of a vanity project for Jennifer Jason Leigh, who is the producer of the show and cast herself as Sam's mom.  Much of the show revolves around her being the object of every man and teenage boy's desire when...uh...she doesn't look the part for that.  

Definitely worth checking out - the 8 episodes fly by.