DVDVR Message Board

The Netflix Thread

John Austin

Damn Netflix played with my head.  I saw an original called Ingobernable and I was immedietally dissappointed at the lack of Tetsuya Naito.

But then I saw they put up Escape From New York and all was good.

13 Reasons Why.  Based on the novel of the same name, this new show/miniseries tells the story of Hannah, a high school student who has committed suicide. Before doing so, she recorded a set of 13 cassette tapes, each one directed at a single person, explaining how that person contributed to her suicide. The show plays out as a mix of current and flashback action as her friend Clay listens to the tapes. It takes a couple episodes to settle in* but the result is an incredibly powerful story that's very well-told. The casting is outstanding, with one great performance after another. And the whole thing feels very authentic with realistic dialogue, realistic people, realistic situations. The last three episodes are a tour de force of emotion - great stuff.

Highly, highly recommended. And there's talk of a second season, which would be awesome. 

* - my one complaint is that the show uses a lot device that I absolutely detest - one character that knows more than another but refuses to share it in a totally unrealistic fashion because that adds tension and advances the plot. The first few episodes are full of "just listen to the tape!" instead of a 20 - second conversation. Fortunately, that goes away and the show really takes off when it does. 

On 4/7/2017 at 11:41 PM, Tabe said:

this new show/miniseries tells the story of Hannah, a high school student who has committed suicide. Before doing so, she recorded a set of 13 cassette tapes, each one directed at a single person, explaining how that person contributed to her suicide.

Hannah sounds awful. 

I just started watching myself, as the father of an 18 year old girl of above average intelligence, I can say that much of the dialogue is not realistic. Come on @Tabe, what teenagers do you know that are as witty and slick as Hannah? My wife plowed through the show in days though and I am digging it, though not nearly as much as she did, hoping it picks up as you say it does. 

• 1 month later...

Alison Brie's been doing newspaper interviews to promote GLOW. Apparently there's loads of nudity in it.

4 minutes ago, AxB said:

Alison Brie's been doing newspaper interviews to promote GLOW. Apparently there's loads of nudity in it.

I was going to watch any way, but the words Alison Brie and loads of nudity, would make me watch anything.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Okja went up yesterday, the latest from Bong Joon-ho (Snowpiercer, The Host).  Liked it, much more for the little girl/superpig relationship than for Tilda Swinton and Jake Gyllenhaal's cartoonish performances, but oh my goodness this is like nothing you've ever seen from Gyllenhaal.  He's very shrill.

22 hours ago, Eivion said:

I saw it last night, well worth catching. Tought everyone involved was generally solid while it really delivered in the most important area in the relationship between Mija and Okja.

FYI, there's a post-credits scene that I missed.  (very easy to go back and watch, obv)

• Like 1

There is language and

Spoiler

an animal rape scene which while nothing graphic is shown isn't usually the type of thing people want to children to see.

Otherwise I can't really think for anything. Its not heavy in violence, and I don't recall any nudity.

I think I'm done with House of Cards. The Underwoods bore the everloving shit out of me now. Sepinwall was onto something because this show has gone off the rails something fierce. Trying to get through those 13 episodes was tough.

19 hours ago, MonteCarl said:

Almost put on Okja earlier today with my 10 year old step-daughter, but then saw it has a TV-MA rating. Is it very inappropriate for a 10 year old girl?

Eivion covered it.  There are maybe about 10-15 f-bombs throughout the movie.

I would also add

towards the end of the movie, the superpigs go through a slaughterhouse.  Nothing overly graphic is shown but one gets killed bloodlessly onscreen if I'm remembering correctly.

It's kinda too bad, because there are scenes in there that I think kids would love.

Castevania dropped today.  It's absollutly awesome, but beware, it's fucking gory as all hell.  Also looks like it's going to run through the Castlevania III/Rondo/SotN Trilogy.