DVDVR Message Board

The Netflix Thread

John Austin

Thoughts on how their deal with EPIX expiring might affect anything? Netflix will be losing some high profile movies, but I guess are banking on their original programming over their movie selection to keep their subscribers.

I don't think it will affect anything much.  Netflix has viewership numbers for the movies in the deal and decided it wasn't worth the money.  I don't think stuff like World War Z and Dark of the Moon are big sellers for those on the fence.  They lot a lot bigger movies (Disney/Marvel specifically) after Starz didn't renew their contract and their subscription numbers continued to rise.

Some people are pissed that the Netflix versions don't have the English dubs.  They are the same movies that are on Hulu, but they're the subtitled Chinese versions versus the English dubs that are on Hulu. 

They also added some of Dragon Dynasty's releases over the past couple of months like Fist of Legend. 

Thoughts on how their deal with EPIX expiring might affect anything? Netflix will be losing some high profile movies, but I guess are banking on their original programming over their movie selection to keep their subscribers.

There was an EPIX free preview month for SlingTV in August and I think the only movie I actually ended up being interested in watching was the new Ninja Turtles.  Losing that collection really isn't that big of a deal.

• 3 months later...

Almost thru with a binge watch of The Office (US).  When watching all the episodes in a row, it becomes clear that Michael Scott is mostly a terrible person.  His good characteristics are far outweighed by his bad.  I mean his need to be loved borders on the psychotic.  If he was born 30 years later, he'd be shooting up a college campus.

• He tried to kill DeAngelo simply because he was liked, not even as liked as him. (To be fair, the staff was sucking up to the new boss and his peanut allergy wasn't fatal, but I'm not sure if Michael knew that) 
  • He ruined Phyllis' wedding by making it all about himself
  • He constantly ruined Jim's chances for advancement
  • He ruined Stanley's marriage (OK, technically Stanley did that)
  • He constantly made fun of Angela, Kevin, Oscar, Creed, Phyliis, Meredith often in a nasty way
  • Broke up with Holly then tried to ruin her new relationship
  • Kept trying to hit on Pam at the same time as slagging off her looks
  • Cheated at basketball
  • Constantly embarrassed Jan while they were dating in front of their coworkers and bosses, as well as forwarding a nude picture of Jan around the company
  • Remarkably racially ignorant
  • Ruined the warehouse multiple times
  • Dated Pam's mom then broke up with her on her birthday
  • Throws a hissy fit every Christmas

I'm sure there's more I'm forgetting but those are sticking out right now. His infatuation with Ryan was generally funny and even though he seemingly used Dwight and sometimes clowned him, I think they were genuine friends.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

26 Joy of Painting episodes have been added under the title Bob Ross: Beauty Is Everywhere

Also Breaking The Magician's Code

which is nice cause Netflix been running low on stuff that I could watch over and over and also use as a sleep aid if necessary ever since Discovery pulled Survivorman and Dual Survival off there

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

http://deadline.com/2016/11/netflix-pauline-fischer-original-films-1201849888/

Pauline FIscher, the Netflix Original Films exec responsibe for critically acclaimed fare such as Beasts of No Nation and critically derided crap like Ridiculous 6 and XOXO has "voluntarily" left the company to start her own consulting firm.

She was apparently fired for dumping a shitload of money into the Brad Pitt film War Machine as well as Will Smith's Bright.

So many Disney movies and 90's "classics" (Son in Law, Heavyweights, Encino Man, Judge Dredd, What About Bob?, 10 Things I Hate About You...) have been added in the last few days.  So many bad movies that I love, which Netflix had been sorely lacking in.

• 2 months later...
On ‎4‎/‎23‎/‎2016 at 8:27 PM, Control said:

What's the best Kung fu/wuxia film on Netflix?

From what I see from my queue, my very late answer to this question would probably be a horse race between Ip Man and Detective Dee & The Phantom Flame.

• Like 1