DVDVR Message Board

The Netflix Thread

John Austin

The My List deal seems to be an everywhere thing because it's labeled as such on my bluray player app. Also, for what ever reason, they reordered my instant queue during this change. I had it ordered by genre, now it's just a mess.

So last night I finally convince my cousin and his wife to give Breaking Bad a try.  Fire up the pilot and I'm watching and thinking "I don't remember this...I don't remember that...the fuck..."  So I'm thinking my memory is just shit and I can't remember the details of the pilot which I watched like a year and a half ago.  Then a scene in which Skyler gives Walt a birthday handjob starts up and I KNOW I'd remember that because it's fairly graphic.  Then later when Jesse first appears falling out that window the lady throwing his shoes down to him is topless.

So it turns out it was an extended pilot that originally aired and was recently put up on Netflix.  I assume all of you who have watched from the start or have the DVD's knew this, but it was news to me.

• 3 weeks later...

First five minutes I was not into it then by the Pilot's finish I was digging it. His character goes back and forth between being mentally handicapped and David Brent, and sometimes it works and sometimes it fails. His best stuff is the small moments of human truth that he injects, not the big setup gags. The biggest laugh for us was him knocking on Joan(I think that's her name) near the end of the episode. It's a beautiful moment. 

His female really holds it together though. I haven't watched any of the other episodes, but I'm interested in where it goes from here.

I watched the pilot last night, and I don't know, the whole thing just felt forced and obvious.  You meet each character and you know exactly what's going to happen after about twenty seconds.  I didn't dislike it, I just didn't care about any of them nor could I relate after it was over. The knocking bit was definitely a nice touch.

Watched Pain & Gain this weekend. Wahlberg & particularly The Rock are funny at times but it's not enough to save the lousy second half of the movie. I think it would have been better to downplay the comedic elements and portray what they actually did to those people.

A little less disappointing was Justice League: The Flashpoint Paradox. I was more of a Marvel fanboy so I wasn't familiar with 70% of the heroes/villains and how they were tied together. The majority of these characters are basically cameos so if you're like me, you have to look them up to see the connection or which ones have changed sides in this Universe. I liked this enough that I'm going to go out and buy the graphic novel. One thing I wished could have been explored more was:

The reveal that Bruce's death not only resulted in Thomas Wayne becoming Batman but caused his mother to become The Joker.

Been on a standup comedy kick the past two days on Netflix.

Rob Schneider (Soy Sauce and the Holocaust) was really funny. Why does he try to talk like Lee Majors when he speaks "normally," though? What up with that? (NOTE: Lee Majors might not be the right voice. Somebody watch it and help a brother out).

Doug Stanhope (Beer Hall Putsch) had a lot of funny stuff, but Holy Shit is he dark and outright offensive.  Not saying it's bad, but...wow.

John Caparulo (Come Inside Me) was solid. Guy has some really interesting material.

Rob Delaney (Live At The Bowery Ballroom) was very offensive but very funny. 

Reggie Watts (Why $#!+ So Crazy?) was very...different. Actually kind of inspiring as I have friends urging me to do some sort of stand-up and his style was something I'd be interested in. It mixes music and comedy and just weird shit.

Brian Posehn  (The Fartist) had some good stuff going. He's an interesting character.

Kathleen Madigan (Madigan Again) had some really good material, but some of it seemed phoned in. Some paint-by-numbers stuff.

John Hodgman (RAGNAROK) had a lot of good stuff but dragged. I find some of these guys can't really fill an hour-long special. Case in point...

Aziz Ansari (Dangerously Delicious) which would've been "five-star" if it was 35 minutes long. Way better than his first special, though.

My two favorites were...

Iliza Shlesinger (War Paint) was amazing. This woman was just ridiculous. I was laughing my ass off from start to finish.

Mike Birbiglia (My Girlfriend's Boyfriend) has to be the best standup I've ever seen.  It was more like a one-act play, and it flowed so well.  He mixes some amazing self-effacing comedy with some really touching stuff. So good.

John Hodgman (RAGNAROK) had a lot of good stuff but dragged. I find some of these guys can't really fill an hour-long special. Case in point...

As a fan of Hodgman who also has a great interest in the coming apocalypse, this sounded like something made specifically for me, but I fell asleep watching it and never went back to it. You're absolutely right about it dragging.

Doug Stanhope (Beer Hall Putsch) had a lot of funny stuff, but Holy Shit is he dark and outright offensive.  Not saying it's bad, but...wow. 

Reggie Watts (Why $#!+ So Crazy?) was very...different. Actually kind of inspiring as I have friends urging me to do some sort of stand-up and his style was something I'd be interested in. It mixes music and comedy and just weird shit.

I don't know if it was the same Stanhope special, but I saw one where he had a whole section on the tsunami victims. I think dark and outright offensive is an accurate description of his act. Still, like you said, a lot of funny stuff.

Reggie Watts is one of those comedians I just don't "get". I've seen him on multiple shows and I don't remember laughing once.

Reggie Watts is a guy who I sometimes die laughing at and sometimes I just don't feel it.  I don't know if it's the material or if it's me.  I find him endlessly creative and the first time I saw some of his stuff I was blown away.  Maybe once that novelty wears off the impact is lesser.

Have you seen Birbiglia's movie Sleepwalk With Me? Watch that.It was on instant last time I checked.

It's amazing. I was floored by it. I'd seen him do standup before and thought he was okay, but these two just were outright stunning. 

P.S.

Stanhope's big stuff in that special was about helping his mother commit medically-assisted suicide, and fantasizing about raping a football player (while mocking the entire Pink Ribbon Campaign). It was...out there.

Reggie Watts is a guy who I sometimes die laughing at and sometimes I just don't feel it.  I don't know if it's the material or if it's me.  I find him endlessly creative and the first time I saw some of his stuff I was blown away.  Maybe once that novelty wears off the impact is lesser.

I laughed my ass off when they dressed him like a cop on COMEDY BANG! BANG!.  Just the state of it.

If you get a chance, watch It's a Disaster. Julia Stiles and David Cross go to a couples brunch and the seemingly world war 3 erupts outside. It's very simple, has a quick pace and there's some chuckles. Really like this movie.

• Like 2

I have friends urging me to do some sort of stand-up

I think this is the main indicator that you should not do any sort of stand-up.

Also: if you're the "funny guy" in the office.

Anybody else watching Netflix on their PS3?  Since the introduction of "My List", I've run into an issue where, if I watch an item that's on "My List" and then remove it, my entire list goes blank.  If I exit and come back into Netflix, the list reappears but this is still pretty annoying.

Anybody else?

I have friends urging me to do some sort of stand-up

I think this is the main indicator that you should not do any sort of stand-up.

Also: if you're the "funny guy" in the office.

I should've clarified. Friends on the local comedy circuit. Regardless, no harm in trying...

• Like 1

Anybody else watching Netflix on their PS3?  Since the introduction of "My List", I've run into an issue where, if I watch an item that's on "My List" and then remove it, my entire list goes blank.  If I exit and come back into Netflix, the list reappears but this is still pretty annoying.

Anybody else?

This has happened to me a few times. The list always comes back, so I haven't made it a priority to look into it further,

I'm sure they'll get a patch out when enough people complain.

• 2 weeks later...

So after getting a Blu Ray with WiFi, I decided to use Netflix streaming again. You can imagine the disappointment suffered when I realized King of The Hill was gone. To add insult to injury, I immediately searched for South Park and that was gone too! On the plus side I guess I will finally delve into Breaking Bad and Futurama. What do you think the time table is for the last season of Breaking Bad to show up?