DVDVR Message Board

The Netflix Thread

John Austin

Pleasantly surprised last weekend to find that the AIP cut of "Black Sabbath" was available. It also marks the last time my kid will demand to watch what I'm watching for a long time.

Started watching Wonder Years with the 12 year old. It's Juuuuust inappropriate enough that I half regretted but, but only half because it was obviously resonating with him and the experiences he was having then and there in Junior High. It's really hard to find things appropriate in this day and age that are also good. He's seen Doctor Who about a bazillion time per episode. We're watching a lot of Leverage now.

Started watching Wonder Years with the 12 year old. It's Juuuuust inappropriate enough that I half regretted but, but only half because it was obviously resonating with him and the experiences he was having then and there in Junior High. It's really hard to find things appropriate in this day and age that are also good. He's seen Doctor Who about a bazillion time per episode. We're watching a lot of Leverage now.

What things about it did you deem inappropriate? 

And understand, I'm not asking that with any snark or judgement......no kids of my own so I'm curious to hear from the perspective of a parent with that opinion as to what your thoughts are; for the sake of conversation. 

Some language (but not much) but the bit where they're looking at Our Bodies, Ourselves was pretty uncomfortable for a minute there. I hadn't seen the pilot in years and I forgot the way they established the dad's rage was over a birth control mention (which again, isn't the end of the world, but we've basically gone from Legend of Korra to this, so it's jarring). 

Yeah, that's really the way to go. 

Someone suggest some things to me that are low enough on the overly sexual situations and/or language that I can get them past my wife. I think on DVD I've got that 5 disc bruce lee set they released years and years ago but that's it.

71SDXS94NRL.gif

Drunken Master 1 & 2, or really most Jackie Chan stuff

ETA: Noted Asian cinephile @Rusty_Shackles had this to say: "Most all of the Golden Harvest are family friendly tho Magnificent Butcher has a rape" "nudity is VERY RARE in most of the genre, the Shaws do more with blood and gore (esp. Cheng Cheh ) although it's low tech" "safest is most every [Golden Harvest]Jackie release. Most of Jet Li's have little that could possibly offend"

On that note, I would recommend the Mr. Vampire series.  Just because I love hopping vampires, and it's a comedy.

Not gonna lie there's some nudity and drugged out whores in that Bruce Lee set.

Shaw bros stuff is perfect. Fucked up violence sometimes but not too much.

I'm pretty sure The Raid would have been my favorite movie at age 12. It's close now.

Added this weekend: MASH, the series. I can't wait to watch the finale again.

Lemme be a rain cloud then:

It's just the first five seasons.

I DO have the finale on VHS.  now, if only I had a vcr that wouldn't eat tape...........

The only way I can see buying a VCR at all nowadays would be a DVD/VCR combo since it's been a long time since you could buy a VCR by itself.  But I have a bunch of VHS tapes that just sit on my shelf since I disconnected that the DVD/VCR combo so I could instead have my Blu Ray player set up on my TV since I can watch all of my Netflix, Youtube, Pandora and so on thru that on my TV since watching Netflix on your laptop instead of your TV seems kind of dumb in comparison.  Only time I watch Netflix on my laptop anymore is if I'm not at home.

• 6 months later...